Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Donnacha's Official Coach Thread

HI Coach Patrick, So I'm looking at 2018 and the plan to get me to Kona as my 'A' Race on the calendar. 
I'm also thinking(not entirely sure yet) about entering IM Lanzarote on May 26th as a mid season focus and fitness bounce for Kona in October. Enough time out from Kona to help reset my body for the final build up and a good Windy and Volcanic race to help familiarise myself with those conditions again before October. Mainly to keep focus though!! Otherwise i'll get bored waiting for October! :-)   
My goals for 2018 are to improve across all 3 disciplines but i feel Running deserves some more attention as I've concentrated so hard on improving my Bike numbers(and feel its still going in the right direction) that the Run has been 'solid steady km's enough to not slow down' which is fine but I've now run 5 out of my last 6 Ironman races at 3:13-3:18 times and i feel(know) theres a better run in there! We just need to tap into it and find where to make up the necessary improvements without over reaching and risking injury!  :-) The base is in there but the speed is a little stagnant! It maybe just a case of better body conditioning and incorporating Run technique exercises and drills into my Runs and continuing Yoga classes and Core Workouts.    
At the moment i feel like jumping on the OS Nov plan and the Run focused option at 5-6 days of running TRP a week. I would like to keep the 2 days of swimming in there too so i don't loose much swim strength & fitness I've worked hard to build up since my accident. 
I'll more than likely hack the plan a little and Race on Zwift  2 days a week and go long on the weekends with the possibility of a 4th Bike day done as real easy when/if i feel up for it.  Quality is my focus until January and i want to keep watch on how i feel and not over-reach. I realise its a long way to October next year but i'd love a shorter term goal so i think Lanzarote is a good stepping stone for me there. Let me know your thoughts and we'll work out a plan. Thanks in advance.  D

Comments

• Options
     Hey, let me know if you still want to do the LED inserts, as a more detailed answer would fit into that space for you.

I am OK with the all season, and faster running but only in doses. That’s all we need to map out is what that would look like.

Yes I think Lanzarote will be perfect, especially if you promise to rest  afterwards. It will be nice to test a different type of building and paper into that race before we focus on kona

Just write out what your modification will be here and I can contact on it! Remember, there is guidance in the outs season flow chart to help you make adjustments which is in the master I’ll season section of the training plan central page. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Coach Patrick  Whats the LED Inserts you mention? Is that the Elite EN Coaching? You mentioned that the Elite Forums were getting updated just wondering if thats still on the cards? I'm hoping to rejoin the Elite forums but at the moment i just need to limit some extra outgoings and it's the beginning of a new build for me. I'll have a look at the OS modifications and report them here so you can have a look and comment. Thanks again. D
  • Options
    @Donnacha Holmes -Man, sometimes I swear that Siri is out to get me. Like seriously getting murdered by someone. We are in a tough spot in our relationship right now.  :D

Yes I was talking about the Elite EN Program. No pressure now, we don’t be launch it until January but I wanted to make you aware of it since you would be grandfathered in.

Let me know how the OS is treating you! 
  • Options
    Ha! @Coach Patrick Poor Siri! It’s only one vowel away from sounding like Sorry!
  • Options
    BTW i'll rejoin the Elite EN again in January. Looking forward to it! OS until then and building steady mixed outdoor & indoor Run miles with some Technique and Form Drills included in most runs to help improve run from. Calf Raises at home etc... o:) 
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan! I was just telling someone else that there is a January start date. 

See you and fake you in Zwift!!!
  • Options
    Hey @Coach Patrick I need to organize my next 10 weeks of training into IM Lanzarote on May 26th. Can we schedule an Elite call and go through some things? Chat ya soon. D
  • Options
    I really appreciate your patience with this. It is been a nightmare trying to migrate our accounts to the new system, and you are at the top of that list. Should hopefully be done soon but in the meantime yes, let’s go ahead and schedule that call.

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

If you need a different time, let me know.
  • Options

@Donnacha Holmes Good to talk today. Here is the video I mentioned for reviewing your work done thus far this year.

Thursday's Workout:

• 4 x 90". First one is targeting 450w. The rest over 420 would be grand.

On Vacation:

• Active everyday. Run, hike whatevs.
    • Sleep in for a bit.
    • Be normal.

Post Vacation:

• Let's talk about planning our the build through the summer to September.
    • Goal would be to map out the run progression as well as the bike work

You're doing great, I swear!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick Good to talk today and good to see the numbers going in the right direction too! Phew! We’ll catch up after I get back from vacation.

P.s - The castelli link worked out too so thanks for that. 👍🏻

• Options

pictures from vacations oR it didn’t happen!