Homeβ€Ί Community Forum 🏠
Options

Getting comfortable in open water

I raced Wisconsin 70.3 this past weekend June 9, 2019. Two people were pulled from the water and have died. Just want to emphasize the importance of getting comfortable in the open water during training, making sure wet suit fits before a race, and practicing with a group in the open water simulating race conditions. I don’t know details of what happened, but open water triathlon racing is clearly serious business that’s requires serious preparation and respect. 😒https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/madison-firefighter-becomes-second-to-die-after-ironman-triathlonΒ 

Comments

• Options

This has been an ongoing issue for IM. There are a number of issues, one is SIPE, no idea if it's real or imagined, but at the end of the day, the causes to any death in a swim is usually Stress induced. A guy died in the only NYC IM and his was an undiagnosed heat issue. I was MISdiagnosed with HCM (HyeprtrophicCardio-myopathy) a few years ago. While I went through hell to figure out if I had it or not, there is the old tag line of not embarking on a serious exercise program without consulting a physician.

After the death of Chris Gleason some years ago in the Philly Marathon, my cousin who was a short course triathlete and a guy at my pool, I decided to get checked out.

I would say that if you are doing a first IM, it's best to find some sprints, and do em as catered training days. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. My first IMs were 2 at IMAZ back when it was a mass start (2500 bodies start swimming at the same time after treading water!) I did a thinly attended 2 mile swim event on Sunday and got punched in the goggles harder than anything I remember elsewhere...