Homeβ€Ί Races & Places πŸβ›Ί
Options

Race In A World Championship!

I've now participated in 4 International Triathlon Union (ITU, the Olympic Organizing Cmte for our sport) World Championships. Not only is it kinda cool to say I've done this or that World Championship, the races themselves are very well run, and take place in great vacation spots. AND THEY ARE FAR EASIER TO QUALIFY FOR THAN YOU MIGHT THINK!!! (see below)

In particular, the Long Course races (3 k swim/120k bike/30k run) have a LOT to offer. First off, they take place in resort communities of moderate size - in 2017, it was Penticton, BC (former site of IM Canada), in 2019, in Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain (about 80,000 people, race located in the "Old Town" and thru the surrounding hills where the Vuelta has taken place). Next, they are part of a ten-day long Multi-Sport Festival, with Sprint Tris and Dus open to all, a cross triathlon, an Aquathlon, a long course Du, the LC tri and an Aquabike (same distance as the tri, without the run). More than a few competitors do 4 of these races, earning a Legends of Multisport medal. If you qualify for the Team USA in in the LC tri you can enter the short ones without additional qualifying.

Because the USA is a Big Country, with a large triathlete population, we get about 18 slots per age group, which are awarded at the respective USAT national championships. Read that again: EIGHTEEN SLOTS PER AGE GROUP. What that means in practice is that anyone 55 and older simply has to finish the race at the NC to get on the team. The NC is the half Iron distance race, MiamiMan, held in - duh - Miami in mid-November. https://www.miamimanhalfiron.com

So the team is big, and supported by on-the-ground USAT staff including masseuses and medical personnel, and stay in the team hotels.

Now, the other secret, is that even the younger AGs have pretty loose entry times. For men, 35-39, the 16th pl time is 5:25; 40-45: 5:40; 45-49: 5:30; and 50-54: 5:40. It's actually a little tricky, because you are competing against those who will be in the AG next year for the slots. So it's the top 39-43 y/o's for the 40-44 squad. Here's a link to the results from '19 if you want to see if you might be able to make it: https://triregistration.com/TriResultsNewGrid-Org.php?raceid=2387

And, here's a link to the USAT rules for team qualification: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/USAT-for-Me/Team-USA/Qualification

In 2020, the race will be held in Almere, Netherlands - easy to get to thru Schiopol Airport, major point of entry for Delta and other US Airlines to Europe. The even better news: both the Miami Man, and the ITU LC WC in 2020 are Pancake Flat! And if you simply can't run, well, there's the Aquabike!

Here's a link to the Almere race: https://www.challenge-almere.com/itu-world-triathlon-multisport-championships-2020/

Now, take a minute to consider all this. Say you'd like to race @ Kona, but, really, you know you're not going to qualify anytime soon. Say you think Ironman is really cool. 'cause it's so long and hard - well, these races are really on the sane side of possibility; I'm a 12:30 IM racer now, and I did the last ITU LC WC in 8:45 or so - it's good to be done by dinner! And, this is truly a world wide event - you are on course with people from all continents (there were a few Kenyans rasing last week, along with RSA, Egypt, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, and all the usual suspects from Europe and Asia. Everyone is in a national team uniform. The crowds are big and supportive - they've been watching racing all week, and know the drill by the time the LC tri (the last race) comes up.

Impress your friends - go to the World Championships! Plan now for 2020 in Holland...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited May 13, 2019 12:19AM

I second Al's comments since I am not a Kona caliber athlete and have also done 4 ITU World Champs. I would add that the Multi-sport World Championship does not include all of the potential ITU worlds. Short Course distance (Olympic, Sprint and Draft Legal Sprint) are held in another rotating venue. Winter Cross Tri is of course held in yet another venue; and Long Course Duathlon is perennially held at Zofingen, Switzerland (to correct Al's comment above, the Multi-sport Festival contests standard distance duathlon and sprint duathlon, not long course duathlon) For the record, I've raced the following as part of Team USA :

2008 - ITU World Long Course Triathlon, Almere, Netherlands

2014 - ITU World Long Course Duathlon, Zofingen, Switzerland

2015 - ITU World Long Course Triathlon, Motala, Sweden

2017 - ITU World Long Course Triathlon, Penticton, Canada

One other note. Starting in 2020, Penticton is once again the home of Ironman Canada.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2019 2:19AM

So you get a β€œTeam USA” jersey to race in? That sounds pretty awesome! Thanks for the tips guys @Al Truscott and @Paul Hough !

How does the cost of the ITU world championship compare to an Ironman branded event? I did not see a registration link for the 2020 race....thanks! (Obviously travel to the Netherlands would be the main cost...unless someone lived in Europe at that time πŸ˜‚).

• Options

PS, for anyone who is interested, it looks like you could also qualify at this full Ironman in Grand Rapids Michigan (Where I live!! πŸ˜„πŸŽ‰). Too bad I have already registered for a different race that same day in Quebec. πŸ˜‚

http://www.mititanium.com/

• Options

Not exactly...everyone must race in their country's uniform, which the participant must purchase. It's a one piece.

• Options

2020 in Almere- Awesome!! I won't be racing, but I'll be there as race sherpa for all EN'ers. We live a short distance from Almere in Haarlem.