Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IM 70.3 Norway (Haugesund) Race Report By Tim Sullivan

Race Name: IM 70.3 Haugesund for 2018 (yes it’s late)

Race Date: 2018-06-30

Finish Time & Placing: 5:16:42, Div Rank 5, Overall 58

Better late than never with this race report. I may be doing the full version of this race this year, so I did this race report. The full is the exact same course as the 70.3 but two loop on bike and another two loops on the run. Last year the bike had a different second loop.

How Did the Race Unfold?

This was a just for fun race. Originally, I was going to do the full IM, but I changed focus in an attempt to qualify for the Boston marathon. As a result, I chose to do the 70.3 race and it became a B or C race. I had run a quick 15 miles two days before the race, so I really just wanted to go as hard as I could. I had no expectations but thought that I would do well because I was carrying great fitness. There was no tapering for this race and I had barely swam in the months before the race.

My goal for this race was to work as hard as I could and try to hit 0.85 IF on the bike and run. I had never been able to get to that effort level.

The swim went amazingly well considered I hadn’t been swimming at all. My strategy was to start swimming and then find someone to draft off of. This serves three purposes for me.  One, I’m much faster. Two, drafting makes me work harder in the swim than I normally would. Three, if needed, I use them to sight for me and I just follow (I do initially check to make sure they swim straight and are going where I want to go.).  For this course, I didn’t need them to sight as this swim has lane ropes the entire length of the swim. All you have to do is look to your right and you will see the lane rope.

After I exited the swim, I took of my wetsuit and started the bike. Bike is lots of elevation in the form of continuous hills. No big climbs, just lots of ups and down.  I did have some fade near the end of the bike but it wasn’t bad.

I did work hard on the bike :)

My plan for the run was to take it a little easy the first couple miles and then push as hard as I could.  This run course does have a few hills but nothing terrible. I was a little slow in hitting the stop button.  Official time was 1:43:57.

I was able to push the run harder than 0.85. I have learned since this race, that even in stand alone races, I can push in a run harder than what is normally recommended.

My HR was almost identical to the bike.

Overall results

I was very happy that I was able to push as hard as I did.

What Would You Do Differently?

Turns out, I ended up placing 5th instead of 4th due to transition times. I didn't take my time, but I didn't hurry either. I should have just moved a little quicker. I wasn’t focused on transitions during this race, but still a lesson to be learned.

What Should We Know About This Race?

This is a GREAT course. The swim is in a lake and it has lane ropes along the entire course. Yes, not buoys. They literally have swim lanes set up.

The bike is rolling terrain. Nothing crazy, but lots of ups and downs. Roads were in good condition.

The run is through town. Has some hills, and great spectators.

One really cool fact is that it never gets dark in the Summer here. That way, everyone finished while it’s still light outside.

Thanks for reading!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

You've taken the right lessons into the Iron version of this race, especially the knowledge of your run capacity.

One thing you don't mention in this report is nutrition. In a five hour race, it is of minimal importance. in an 11-12 hour race, it is the most important controllable variable - this is the biggest difference between a half and a full, the exponential increase in the necessity of nailing fueling and hydration correctly. The second most important variable - getting yourself to the run with minimal damage, and then pacing the 26.2 miles correctly, you already have a leg up on, given your other racing history the past two years.

• Options

Way to crush it! Can't wait to see when you do an "A" race! This is no surprise as you've put in a lot of run and bike training. Keep leading and raising the bar. Congratulations.

• Options

Thanks @Al Truscott and @derek@derekdoran.com! Funny that I didn't even mention nutrition :). I keep nutrition so simple on short hard races that I don't really think about it. I just make sure and drink Gatorade on bike so I have to pee by end of bike and then take sips during run. I might throw a gel in and some redbull and coke later on during run. I follow same approach on full IM but havent tested at harder efforts yet. Much more to go wrong during full IM. Lots to continue to learn at that distance. Have been good on long ultra runs with nutrition but that's a different effort level.

• Options

@Tim Sullivan - procrastinate much?!! What a great day we had in Haugesund - last year! I think it was the best destination IM I've ever done, especially with so few people doing the full. Congrats on your performance and good luck with the rest of 2019.

• Options

Great race considering all that elevation gain!

• Options

@Tim Sullivan , I heard this weekend's race is the last for both the full and the 70.3. So glad I jumped on it last year!