Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Race Report 70.3 St George

Lesson learned: Trust the work you have done and also your wife. Great weather day to race in St George, swim water was calm with little wind on the bike course, run was not too hot with a cool breeze at times. Also had the opportunity to meet two EN teammates which was cool.

Drove the ten hours done on Wed. and stayed with him that evening before checking into the motel on Thurs. Felt tired the next two days along with feeling a little stressed out. I guess I don't recover from driving that long and had a good plan for Thurs/Fri on what I wanted to accomplish training wise but it just never worked out which promoted the stress. CDA will be better in this regard because family will not be there.

Swim was not the time I was looking for but I felt good in the water. Lined up in the 35-37 min group and in my mind was thinking 36 min. Well as I was standing there I started doubting myself and started moving back in the group which I have know idea who other than the fact I have not swam as much as I have wanted. The pool is 65 miles one way from my house and about twice a week is the best I can get in especially if the weather is bad. Looking for some other ideas on how I can supplement my swimming.

Bike is where I could have been a lot better and this is the lesson learned. First year on Zwift and should have trusted the work I had put in would be great on race day. Part of my concern was Thurs. of race week was my 3rd ride outside and I rode some hills there (first climb) and felt great just was not sure the power numbers would last thru the bike onto the run race day. Race day watts avg 178 which is about 20 plus watts lower than all my training rides. My wife told me I was in great shape to push the bike but she was not at the race. So I rode conservative, felt like I was just cruising. Second race with my new bike Q Roo PR Six it is fast and is smooth to ride, looking foreword to CDA.

Run actually felt good with just one cramp which occurred on the downhill after climbing up towards mile 9. Third time doing this race but the first as EN member and I ran 98% of this course which I am proud of. Gave myself a max HR of 150 on the steep climb to mile three which came about 3/4 way up and a brief walk to get back to 145. The next climb up to mile 9 I went to 157 and ran that hill with a short walk to get it done to 150 just before the aid station at the top. I got the cramp going down the other side as I tried to lengthen my stride instead of just going with a quicker turn over. Was looking to have a faster last 5k which is downhill and happy to say I accomplished that.

Although it was not the time I was looking for I am pleased that I now know I can go harder and actually work on racing instead of just doing the race. I have some things I still need to improve: my T times are just terrible, total of 15 minutes for this past race and the transitions where set up pretty clear and easy. Two things are I can not run very well in bike cleats which shoes were not on the bike for this race and I have to use the restroom before the bike. Guess I swallow to much water while swimming. Although my hydration/nutrition was much better for both bike and run I need to speed up time in aid stations. I had a plan which I followed on run for aid stations just need to realize I can do this quicker and I am not dying out here. Also I can push the pace more on the run and trust the work.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Dave Legg I like this part "I now know I can go harder and actually work on racing instead of just doing the race." 65 miles to a pool ouch, vasa would the first choice , I have never used one but many on the team swear by it, if that is not in the budget swim bands are probably the only other option with the occasional drive but that is a lot of time that may be best spent on the bike/run but we do still have to swim. Transitions are an easy fix, get rid of every thing that is not absolutely necessary , minimize and simplify, then practice. @Mike Roberts and I have talked a lot about transitions you could find with a search. Sounds like a nice shake out for CDA congrats !

• Options

@Dave Legg - I don't recall your history in this sport, but one of the great things about it is unpeeling the onion through experience and doing better at the next one. VASA trainer is great (I have two!), since you are wiling to drive far, check craigslist & some tri/swim groups as well as slowtwitch, you may find a used one (I found 2) they aren't shippable, but you can fetch one.

I would say that what you really needed was a voice inside your head saying "trust your training." The biggest thing I am hearing on all three legs is quite simply a lack of confidence. That confidence will change your attitude and flow on race day. Do more bricks, even if on the trainer. FWIW, my outdoor watts are higher than my trainer watts as is often the case with many. Lastly, as @Coach Patrick used to say, if you get off the bike and think you didn't work hard enough, you have a (13) 26 miles to prove that point.. Run harder!

As for transitions, I've focused on these, I am now typically in the top 2% of my AG on these it's free time.. you can ride or run easy in the beginning but still have forward motion while dealing with admin issues.

Lastly, post often in the forums, the team is here to help you unpeel the onion ahead of race day!

• Options

Scott and Tim, thank you for your insight and direction. Yes I messed up on the self confidence and that is something that definitely held me back but after doing the Giro TT on Zwift yesterday and today's ride I like the upcoming race in CDA. Started doing tri's back in the early 80's and the last three years with EN and started to have some success which I liked. Still learning the way to race with power and this year translate the Zwift to outside. Will check out the Vasa and see if I can swing on of those and work on those transitions. Thanks for your help

• Options

x2 on what Tim and Scott said. Sounds like you learned a lot at this race. As you train for CDA, be sure to do the two race rehearsals at race pace. It will help you dial in your power and pace targets, set expectations and boost confidence. The key to fast T1/T2 is limiting decisions and actions. For example all you really need in your T1 bag is bike helmet and shoes, other items can be placed on your bike (arm warmers rolled up on aero bars, nutrition, etc). For T2 bag you'll have socks, running shoes and a Go bag. Go bag contains running cap, sunglasses, race belt/number, nutrition. Put on your socks and shoes, grab your Go bag and exit T2. As you leave T2, put on the items in your Go bag. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your race.

• Options

@Dave Legg So fun to meet you at CDA. You had a great race there. I'm excited to read that report. Seems like the transitions went better and the rest of the race looked good. The go bag Derrek mentioned is really helpful for me and just gives you the ability to get the heck out of there and start the run. Really hope to see you again soon. You seem to have St. George figured out so you might just as well do the full! Lot's of mojo going on there. Pleasure to race with you.