Home General Training Discussions

Running Form Question

Team, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I am new to running (longest run 15k at 9:40 pace) . I have been looking for a way to improve my run form. There are programs out there specifically designed to help make you a more efficient runner but I wonder if they are all marketing hype. Being from the CrossFit community, there has never been a need to become more efficient. 

Coach P is placing me on a run durability program soon. I run in Hokas. Again, not for long endurance runs as I have never actually done any. 

Does anyone suggest getting a lower drop/minimalist shoe and working on becoming a forefoot runner? I notice during my race that all those passing me are running on their forefoot. I have more of a midfoot strike. 

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• @arielle.harvey If by "new to running" you mean you never ran before this year, I think the #1 piece of advice I'd give is, for the remainder of this year, Just Run. The biggest risk is doing too much, too soon. Too fast, too long, too fancy, etc. Run Durability (running a little bit, 30 - 40 minutes 6-7 times a week) to build all the muscles, bones, joints, ligaments, and tendons is about creating a strong foundation to help you avoid injury, which is very common when we first start out in a new sport.

Instead of shoes, technique, or speed, it may be a good idea (if you don't already do this) to consider some exercises to help strengthen the muscles and secondary support you need to run properly on a regular basis, and faster when it comes time to race. The smaller muscles of the hips and core, as well as the larger muscles of the thigh and butt are what need special attention. There are lots or resources available for this IRL and on the InterWebs. As an example, check out the "strength" section on EN's Running wiki page:

Just Run. Really. Your body already knows how to do it, and after you've been doing it for, oh, 6-9 months, then you can start thinking about what tweaks you might want/need as far as equipment, technique, training, etc specifically for you. You'll be in a much better place to assess what your needs and capabilities are. until then, Just Run.

• Frequent running. Focus on almost daily running. Not fast or hard. The more often you run the easier it will be to figure out what’s correct. The frequency will also help avoid nagging little injuries as long as you aren’t pushing those runs. Speed work will come but get that good base in first. Running is a different beast compared to biking.

• A couple other things to keep in your back pocket.

Strides are a great mechanism to teach and work on form, which are meaningful, but don't overly tax the body. People have differing feelings on how/when to add them in, but normally near the end of an easy run/ after finishing an easy run. The protocol is simple just accelerate until you hit the fastest speed you can hold smoothly in good form without straining or struggling (about 90% effort for most) and hold for a total time of 20-30 seconds, then recover and do it again (I count foot falls, so 25-30 right foot strikes). Start by adding in a couple then building to 6-8 over several weeks. You can do this a few times a week and will see it on several of the plans.

Its also okay to split up your longer runs especially as you are building. There are a number of people who do split long runs with half in the AM and the other half in the PM. These offer less overall stress on the body so you maintain better form and give you more recovery while keeping with the frequency and durability that EN prescribes.

• Exactly what @Al Truscott said and follow the run durability plan. Also, if you're new to running, don't worry about cadence right now. There is no one cadence (e.g. 180) that fits all runners.

Happy Running.

• Hi @arielle.harvey , which Hokas do you run in? I've found it best to have a couple of different pairs of shoes to go between. I personally go between the ON Cloudflow and the Nike Zoomfly for training and the Nike Vaporfly for racing (but I've had some arch pain with this specific shoe on for long races).

You'll get countless answers from the team on which shoe and why in the forums and GroupMe, which may be a place to start.

Worry about finding a shoe that is comfortable and doesn't beat you up and work on your foot strike independent of that, after you've built up your durability as those above have mentioned. I would add, if you're transitioning from CrossFit to endurance athlete , your daily runs may need to be in the 20 min range to keep you healthy as you build your frequency.

• Al's nailed it: "just run." This will get 99% of us to 99% of the places where we could ever want to go in running.