Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Sam Lawrence Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick - Thx. I'm still having to wear a bandaid to hold the nail down when I swim. Most likely that finger nail will never grow back since I ripped it out from the back end. When it finally falls off I will go to the nail parlor and have them glue an acrylic down. Life!

Meanwhile, the knee is simply a permanent no-go for running and I'm going to Kona prepared for a long, brisk walk. I expect to finish between 15-16 hours, then retire from triathlon. There is no joy in Mudville and no joy in swim-bike-walk. :) Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the trip, seeing the big island, and participating in some of the Kona madness. I'll be arriving on 4 October so I can do the training swim on Saturday morning (already registered). Even starting in the last wave with Legacy pukes, a solid swim and bike will put me well ahead of cut-offs and give me plenty of time to walk the course @ 16-17 min per mile. I walked Gulf Coast 70.3 at just over 15 min pace so I know it's doable.

• Options

@Paul Hough Thanks for the update. Is there anything you have not put your body through yet? 😂

I’m sorry to hear about the knee and the extent to which it will limit you on race day, but it’s not gonna stop you from enjoying the experience in anyway. As you mentioned, a large part about Kona is the week leading up to the race and no matter what time you cross that finish line, you get to where that metal for the rest of your life. I will not arrive as early as you are planning to, but I hope to spend some time with you during race week so we can create new stories for you to share in the future on Facebook!