Home Races & Places 🏁⛺

B. Patrick IMLP 2019 Race Plan

Here is my IMLP race plan for this year. I've been impressed by all of the feedback on the race plans in this forum. I'm a bit late getting mine posted but looking forward to any feedback! Thanks in advance!

BACKGROUND

48 years old, 190 lbs, 5’10” (I'm not light... so a little concerned about those hills)

3 x Ironman (2-time finish). IMLOU x 2 finish (12:45 in 2016, 11:20 in 2017, DNF in 2018)

GOALS

My main goal is to enjoy the race, put out a solid effort, finish the race and feel good about it. This is different than previous goals which were more aggressive. Last year in IMLOU didn’t go well. The weather was a mess (rained steady, temp in 40’s F for 5+ hours on bike) and I’m not sure I was in the right place mentally. I pulled out after the bike (was feeling pretty terrible) and surely regretted it. This year in IMLP is about enjoying the race, putting in solid effort and getting back to a place of feeling good about finishing the race. I have rough estimates of where I want to be time wise but honestly, I’m not hung up on times for this race. I’ve only done IMLOU and I’m not certain what to expect at IMLP since it’s a new course to me. Next year I want to set aggressive goals and get after it seriously in IMLOU when I age up.

FRIDAY (IMPORTANT PRE-RACE RECON)

Get bike and gear at TBT, Practice swim, 4 keys talk, Ride the Keene descent a couple of times

SATURDAY

Pack transition bags, drop bike and bags, relax and enjoy an easy day

MORNING PRE RACE

Wake up at 3:30 AM

Eat a protein / carb smoothy (lighter on protein). Have an espresso or coffee. Take supplements: AltRed (beets), vitamins and an NSAID (for back pain).

Put on body glide, chamois butt’r, tri shorts, tri top, and ironman hoody for warmth.

Get bike bump, bike bottle (for after T1), bike pump, sticker for disk wheel

Leave Whiteface Lodge for IMLP by 4:15 (and find somewhere to park)

TRANSITION (BEFORE RACE)

Place GE bottle on bike (between arms), place computer on bike (cover up aero bars, computer, etc. with bag), pump tires (95 psi zip disk, 85 psi front zip 858). Check wheels for rub, skewers, brakes, headset.

Give pump back to wife

PRE-SWIM

Get swim bag (goggles, anti-fog, earplugs, swim cap, timing chip, Cliff Gels [2], bottle of water)

Put on heart rate monitor

Put on wetsuit, put on watch, put on timing chip

SWIM (ESTIMATED TIME 1:15)

Seed at 1:15

Start watch, Start easy, breath, find clear water off side from cable (but within view of cable). Bilateral breath, long strokes, very Aero, don’t stop... finish.

T1 (ESTIMATED TIME – < 10 min)

Watch off, ankle strap off, wetsuit off

Watch back on, ankle strap back on, easy jog to T1

Get Bike bag - dump it out

(Decide on rain jacket, arm warmers)

Add chamois buttr (quickly)

Headband on, Helmet on, Glasses on

Carry shoes in hand

Get bike, bike computer powered up

Shoes on near end of transition

BIKE (ESTIMATED TIME 5:50)

FYI... Bike Setup... BMC TM01 (2018) - 53/39 Chain ring, 11-30T Cassette, Zipp Disk on rear, Zipp 858 on front, xlab between the arms hydration + single bottle on back. Kask Bambino helmet.

Start bike computer

First 30 min: 190 Watts a bit more up hill.

Next 30 min: 200 Watts a bit more up hill.

Next (through finish) Steady: 210 Watts a bit more up hill

Nutrition: 1 bottle GE / 45-60 min, Gel on the hour, Clif bar third on the half hour, salt on half hour, AltRed at start then every two hours.

Stay in Aero on flats and downhill, hoods on up hills. Pay attention to handling skills.

T2 (ESTIMATE TIME – < 10 min)

Get bike computer, hand off bike. Place helmet, computer, shoes in bag.

Grab run bag, Dump bag

Body glide on, Socks on, Shoes on

Run belt with number on

Decide on arm coolers (heat management)

Clean headband on, EN hat on, glasses on

AltRed, salt

RUN (ESTIMATED TIME – 4:10)

First Hour: easy, HR target 135, HR < 140, power 190-200 Watts

Next: Steady: 210 Watts, HR target approx. 145, HR < 150

Mile 18: Let HR slowly rise, slowly run harder, keep HR under 155 through mile 23

Nutrition: GE every aid station, cliff gel every 2 aid stations for first 6 miles, cliff gel every 3 aid stations after 6 miles, AltRed at half point, coke in last 6 miles

Heat management: Ice in hat, ice in pants. Arm coolers as needed (ice in there too).

Tagged:

Comments

• Race well and have fun! I love your attitude -- "My main goal is to enjoy the race, put out a solid effort, finish the race and feel good about it."

Pre-race transition -- confirm bike in easy gear

• Good news is the forecast looks awesome. Bad news is it’s Lake Placid and you could get anything , but I doubt as bad as IMLOU last year. With no expectations/goals going in you are setting youself up for a great day. I don’t think you can see the cable unless your practically on it (1-2 bodies out max), if you don’t wanna be in the mix, it’s quite easy to swim just outside with no view of the cable. Good Skill !

• Team Photo at 6am in front of Town Hall (en route to swim start across from oval).

That Friday is busy..one descent should do the trick.

What about your bike computer...do you bring that down, fully charged, in the AM?

Get a bottle finished before the top of the descent.

Work the downhills, and don't push the ups. This course won't reward you for that, especially with a marathon pending...it's all about being smart!

I'll be out there screaming at you! 😱

~ Coach P

• @Janyne Kizer , @tim cronk , @Coach Patrick thanks so much for looking through the plan and providing feedback. All great information.

@Janyne Kizer ... great point on the bike gears... totally forgot that one!

@tim cronk ... thanks for the heads up on the cable... didn't know that! Valuable piece of info! I think I'll go with your advice and get off to the side... the swim stresses me out enough... not interested in fighting for the cable! Not consistent with my goals for the race. If I was trying to KQ I'd fight for it... not here in this race though.

@Coach Patrick ... thanks for the heads up on the computer, bottle before keene and advice on the hills! I'm on it!

I just arrived tonight and must say... this place is beautiful... I'M EXCITED!

• @Robert Patrick

Sorry for the later comments

• Swim - If you expect to go 1:15 seed yourself up a little perhaps closed to the front of the 1:10 group. If you can get some slightly faster feet to draft off of even better.
    • I've raced LP at 225-235 with a 235-250 FTP a compact 50-34 and a 30T, given your numbers and gearing I would not worry about the hills. Definitely respect them but with good execution you will be fine. From your 210 watts assuming .70-.75 you have w/kg somewhere between 3.2-3.4.
    • Bike Nutrition - GE I bottle every 45-60 minutes. I'm not sure if this range is base on temperatures but it leave too much variation for my likeing over 6 hours if you have average 1 bottle every 45' that's 8 bottles versus 6 bottles at one every hour. The 24 oz bottles equates to 180 calories and aroudn 310mg sodium so you could be taking 360 calories and 610mg of sodium more or less depending upon how you drink. Just be aware of this and make sure you keep topped up you don't want to come in to the run down on calories or sodium.

Have a great race.

• @Gordon Cherwoniak thanks so much. Terrific advice which I’ll put to good use on Sunday. Your comments on the hills / power definitely ease my mind a bit. I see your point on the nutrition. I’ll tighten that up before Sunday. Thanks so much!!