Home Racing Forum 🏎

2019 Superiorman 70.3 Race Plan

Thanks in advance for reading. This is my first race plan and I greatly appreciate any thoughts and guidance.

I’m a 45 year-old, husband, father of 2 kids (age 10 and 8), 6’ tall and will race at 165 lbs. The Superiorman 70.3 is a HIM distance race held in Duluth, MN. I reall like the fact it’s local (I live in Minneapolis), is small (150 participants) and is a great race venue (swim in Lake Superior, bike up the coastline) with great race support. I’ve done the race twice before; in 2016 (5 hr 12 min) and 2018 (5 hr 1 min). 

This will be my first race with EN and I am excited to put to use many of the principles and best practices I’ve learned over the last 8 months from the forums and GroupMe. I did four rounds of RDP leading into the January OS and then have been on the HIM Bike Focused plan since May. Training has gone well and thankfully I’ve been consistent in hitting the prescribed plan. I’ve seen performance improvements across the board, so I am excited about the potential for race day next Saturday, Aug 10. The taper period has been less than ideal given family visitors both last weekend and this coming weekend and work travel next week, but I’m aspiring to try to at least rest more if I can’t hit all the workouts.

This race will be special as this will be first long-distance triathlon for my best friend of 35+ years. He’s been on weight loss journey (down 30+ pounds since last November) after decades of poor habits and this is his goal race this year. His goals are to celebrate where he’s at and finish the race – it’s a great perspective and one I need to be better at embracing. (And yes, @Mariah Bridges, he’s gotten the referral link 😊)

Pre-Race

I’m out race week, so I am going to get all my gear packed and ready by Sunday night, so I don’t have to worry about it when I land Thursday evening.

I’ll drive to Duluth Friday morning after a big breakfast, check-into hotel, and go to packet pick-up/ race briefing. The course has changed this year, so I’ll check out new transition area, drive course for my friend to acquaint him with therolling hills (~28 miles one-way from Duluth to Two Harbors, MN), and check out run venue. I’ll also do a quick 15-20 min run with strides to shake out legs after Thursday’s flight and Friday’s car ride. Before dinner, double-check equipment, calibrate power meter and let it acquire GPS signal and then turn off.

Dinner will be local Italian restaurant then in bed by 9 pm.

Race Day Goals

Three goals for me on race day, one being a process goal and two outcome goals. The process goal is to race with the nutrition plan I have been following the last 6-8 weeks and see how it goes (many, many thanks for the guidance from @Sheila Leard ). It’s worked in training, but I want to confirm in a race.   Outcome goal #1 is to break 5 hours. Outcome goal #2 is to podium – I came in 4th last year, but aged up and the guys ahead of me last year haven’t yet 😊 

Race Morning

Wake up and breakfast three hours before start (start time TBD) – large bagel with peanut butter, banana, Protein Naked Juice. Get to race site when it opens and get transition area set up. Remember to put Vaseline inside tri shoes on the toes, baby powder in run socks, and Speedplay oil on pedals and cleats to aid clipping in and out. Turn on bike computer, do not calibrate power meter. I’ll spend some time helping my friend in transition as well. Sip water throughout morning.

Warm-up for this race is tricky as 1) people cannot get into Lake Superior ahead of time and 2) they shuttle the competitors in a boat to the swim start. Slower individuals are first, so any warm-up completed (running, etc.) leaves you likely cooled down by the time the boat comes back to get the second wave of competitors, typically ~15-20 min later. I’m taking my swim bands and will do sets of those before getting on the boat and may do some light openers before putting on wetsuit.

Once on boat, I’ll take a gel with some water.

Swim

Goal time: 35:00-38:00

Lake Superior giveth and Lake Superior taketh away. The first time I did this race it was very choppy and I drank a couple gallons of lake water, last year it was pretty smooth. The course this year is a point-to-point swim, so wind direction will have a big influence on waves and current. I’ve yet to really translate decent pool swimming into open water, so my journey continues. We jump from a boat into Lake Superior (not near as crazy or hectic as I experienced at Escape from Alcatraz last year) and it is helpful to be one of the first in the water. Right before jumping, start Garmin 935. Once in:

-         Find those fast feet

-         Sight every 8th stroke

-         Focus on good rotation

-         Pull through the entire stroke, thumb brushing thigh when finishing

-         High elbow

-         Consistent effort

-         Exhale under water

Current surface temperatures are upper 50s, so I’ll use a full-sleeved wetsuit and may use booties if the swim exit is really rocky. 

T1

Upon exiting water:

-         Cycle Garmin 935 to transition

-         Run to transition area and bring wetsuit to waist, goggles up on head

-         At transition site, quickly remove wetsuit

-         Helmet on

-         Vaseline across tops of toes

-         Tri shoes on

-         Un-rack bike, run to bike start

-         Cycle Garmin 935 and start Edge 500 at mount line

Bike

Goal time: 2 hr 35 min

As I mentioned the course is a rolling 28 miles to the turn-around. Road is surface is good and traffic is generally minimal. First few miles (~15 min) are admin getting out of Duluth. Stay safe, watch for other riders, keep watts 185. Sips of water if needed, but more important to stay alert until on main course.

My bike nutrition is a 24 oz bottle of EFS Pro, one EFS Liquid Shot, one small Clif bar (taking two in case I drop), along with sips of water. This equates to ~300 cal per hour, 71 g carb per hour, ~1,000 mg sodium.

Once on course:

-         Nutrition plan: EFS Pro and water separated by 10 min intervals, with pulls of Liquid shot at the 30 min point and the clif bar at the 60 min point

-         Targeting NP of 195-200 watts for the ride

-         HR should stay in the 130-135 bpm range and not go over 138 bpm

-         Watch for power spikes on the rollers, light on pedals to flatten the hills

-         Slight tailwind on way out can become a decent cross-head wind on way back. Maintain watts and don’t chase mph

-         If HR toward 130 in the last 10 miles, push the effort but be mindful of 138 bpm cap

-         Finish calories by 2hr 15 min point in ride

I’ve been able to hit that target NP (and a little higher) in my 2.5-3.5-hour indoor training rides in that HR zone. However, I’ve found outside it can be harder to achieve. My goal would be to get off the bike no later than 3 hrs 20 min of cumulative race time (to try to hit that sub- 5 hours), but HR will drive my effort.

T2

Upon entering transition area:

-         Remember to unclip one foot a little early (I’ve been having trouble getting my pedal and cleat to disengage)

-         Cycle Garmin 935 to transition

-         Stop Edge 500

-         Run to rack

-         Helmet and tri shoes off

-         Socks on, Shoes on

-         Grab go bag (race belt, sunglasses, visor, 2 sleeves of chews, hand held bottle with water in it) and go! 

Run

Goal time: 1 hr 40 min

Right out of T2, take two caffeine Clif blocks and a little water. Spray face and arms if warm. For first three miles, pace target is 8:05-8:15 per mile, 260-270 watts. If the new course is hilly, I’ll target watts, if flat, I’ll monitor pace. HR should be in the 135-140 range, but not over 140. Miles 7-10, I’ll increase pace to 7:35-7:45 per mile, 280-290 watts. HR should be 145-150 at these pace and power ranges. Miles 10+ game on, I’ll go by feel and push if I can.

Nutrition Plan: two Clif blocks every two miles (~15-17 min), with water. Liquid calories at aid station depending on what is on course. Water bottle for space in between to wet mouth and cool off face and arms if needed. That clif block schedule gets me through most of the race and I’ll eat more if I feel I need or stop around mile 10 if it’s too hard to consume with increase exertion.

Post-run, I’ll try to get back out on the run course, if possible, to support my buddy and push him along the last leg of the race.

Thank you in advance for reading this and any comments.

Tagged:

Comments

• @Jeff Phillips Looks like you've got a great plan. Now just need to see if it works in a race scenario.

At mile 10 if your your gut is going bad just swish Gatorade in your mouth for 15 seconds and spit it out.

Good luck!