Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Virginia Edmonds Has a Question Thread

Hi Coach!

Hope all has been well!  I am following along on your training and I am very excited for you!  Can't wait for you to race!

While I have been quiet on the forums, I have been busy training. I am a forum stalker and read everyone else's questions and advice.  I almost always have similar questions or issues and they always seem to get resolved with this method. Everything has been moving along and if I come up against a conflict with my training schedule, I figure out how to adjust it.

I am in week 8 of the HIM training plan.  It includes testing and my first Big Day.  I am good with all of this and have my plan for the week.

Here is where I need reassurance: I am headed off to Jackson Hole, WY on the 13th and will be there for 10 days of awesomeness.  I get to hike (a lot, a lot) and run, but biking and swimming don't usually happen.  This will be my third IM where I break my training for time in JH.  I am not worrying b/c you have always said not to, that vacations happen.  I just want to make sure that is still the case.  I feel like my fitness is good and that I when I get back, I will just pick up where I left off.   Does that sound reasonable? 

Thanks for everything.  EN is as amazing as ever and you, Brenda and Mariah are swell.

There are also some great guru team members who have no idea how much they have to offer to the rest of us (Tim, Danielle, Trish, Scott, Robert, Dino, Paul, Mark, Richard and the list goes on...)

Virginia

Comments

• Options
    Hi Coach,

I have another question I have been meaning to ask for awhile.  When I am doing intervals on the bike.  Which is more important, reaching HR goals or the RPM suggestions.  They do not always go hand in hand for me so I generally shoot for the HR.  Is that right?
  • Options
    @Virginia Edmonds -  thanks so much for checking in. I am always so jealous of your vacation and I think it's the best thing possible. If you need to, you can always do an extra bike the week before you go in the week when you get back but otherwise as long as you're active I am OK with it!

As for the training focus I agree on HR first.

here's to hoping maybe you post some pictures to the forums of your trip so we can get you interacting more!  ;)
  • Options

Thanks CP!

Is it okay to do an extra bike on Saturday after my Big Day?  That is going to be this Friday.  

VE 

• Options
    Absolutely yes. Just keep the effort down. If you do it right, it could help you stay loose and continue your progression. The only thing you don't want to do is try and overachieve.
  • Options
    Will do!  Had my Big Day today! Good news is that I was able to perform all the training in the zones I was shooting for.  I was even able to run the hour in the heat.  I carried this little thing called the racesaver bag, not sure if you have heard of it.  Took good notes on how my nutrition could be tweaked.  Definitely felt full at a point on the bike and tried to play the rest of the ride smart.  It seemed to work because I did not feel sick on the run and had energy to make it to the end.  For the bigger picture though, I will need to make some adjustments. 

Thanks again!  One more day until vacation land!

Virginia
  • Options
    @Virginia Edmonds - nice work!!! The ride is usually a shock to the system, but it sounds like you did it just right. Enjoy your break and I look for to talking with you soon!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I am in need of some reassurance.  Hurricane Irma tabled swims and a 4.5 hour ride (I was up and ready to head to this ride when I saw Irma had shifted and was in direct line with Tampa.  Instead of riding, I chose to gather supplies for hurricane survival) .  As soon as I was able to return home, I got back to training. My house and my bike were waiting for me :)   I don't feel like I lost anything in my fitness as I train this week, but it would be good to hear it from you.  I am beyond grateful that my life is almost as it was and that I can continue to prepare for my IM.  I was not sure that was going to be the case when I left early Sunday morning.

I also wanted to share a "work, works" moment.  I did my new HR bike test two weeks ago and my numbers went up by 10 beats for some zones.  Great motivation to keep up the discipline.

Thanks Coach.  So happy for your IMMT race and Kona!  Most impressive!

Take care,

Virginia 

• Options
    @Virginia Edmonds - your fitness is 100% fine! Sometimes when life interferes, all we can do is adjust and move forward… And you did so exactly as I could've hoped. Now our jobs to get back on track as soon as possible, but I know you're already doing that! Keep me posted…
  • Options

Did my 5 hour ride today and it was good! I think I am still on track and will keep it going. 

Thanks Coach!

• Options
    Hi Coach,

Hope all has been well with you!
    I am spending my summer having fun with short distance races and I am ready for some training advice.
    Here are my races:
    Olympic distance 7/7, 8/18, 9/15
    1/3 Distance 10/20

My main goal is to improve my bike time.  I think I have improved my swimming and feels like my running has stayed pretty strong.  

Thanks for the help!
    Virginia
  • Options
    I will get on this tonight when I am back at my computer, stay tuned!
  • Options

@Virginia Edmonds

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

My main goal is to improve my bike time.  I think I have improved my swimming and feels like my running has stayed pretty strong.  

Your Races

• Olympic distance 7/7, 8/18, 9/15
    • 1/3 Distance 10/20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/05/2018
    • On 6/4/2018 Load the Intermediate Short Course, 20wks to end on 8/18/2018
    • On 8/19/2018 Load the Beginner Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 9/29/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 9/3/2018 Load the Intermediate Short Course, 20wks to end on 9/16/2018

Coach Notes

I am thinking that you do the Short Course plan through your second OLY; then two weeks of Bike Focus (you will exit early), then back into the Half. We can talk after the 9/15 race to see how to close out your year with that final race. 

In terms of the Short Course plan, you should be pretty good with the bike workouts as listed. But check them out and let me know if you need me to make any adjustments!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks Coach!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Hope all is well with you!

I am racing sprints all summer so I have been able to pick a plan on my own.

I have some races coming up that require some training help.

October 19, Great Floridian 1/3 distance .8 swim, 42 bike, 9 M run

Dec 1, Space coast marathon

How do I ride and run enough for each event? Both are A races for me. Not trying to qualify for anything with the marathon, but would like to run 4:00 or less.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

• Options

@Virginia Edmonds Thanks for checking in! I think that you should follow the Run Focused Half Plan for your Great Floridian 33 and 1/3 race. 🤣 This will get you plenty swim, good bike and a little extra run. But we can parlay that running into the Final few weeks of marathon training.

So load that plan to end on the sunday of that race and then we can connect to convert that Tri fitness into Run fitness, deal?

Let me know if you need help loading plans!

• Options

Thanks Coach! I will get going on that plan.