Home General Training Discussions
Options

Small Bike Pump for T1

Has anyone found a small floor pump that will fit into your IM bag?

Or has anyone found a good way to pump your tires up another way besides stressing about borrowing someone else's pump, hoping it works, hoping you can see the gauge, etc.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I personally deal with borrowing. In LP this weekend, the first one didn’t grab my inflator “crack Pipe” for disc wheel well and just borrowed another... I had one in the hotel room, but wanted to let Jill sleep in.

• Options

@John Schneider : I put a sticker on the pump, or tape it with my name and phone number, carry the pump to transition in the am, pump tires and check pressure using my headlamp for light since my 58 year old eyes need a little help (110 rear; 105 front GP 5000 with latex tubes). I then carry the pump to Lost and Found and set it outside the room or tent (if nobody is there in the am) or hand it to the person there. I scouted where the Lost and Found was the day before and chatted a few folks up to let them know to expect a pump the next day. Of all the races I’ done, I’ve only lost 1 pump (at IM Mont Tremblant) when the L&F was locked up and I couldn’t wait for it to open.

• Options

I had carried a pump on race morning for years until the last few races. Recently, I’ve just used one of the many many many pumps in the racks, and confirmed the tire pressure with a handheld pressure gauge ( about $20, and the size of a tire lever). Super simple and a lighter load overall.

• Options

Here's what I carry in morning clothes bag (and bike box when flying to a race) Topeak Road Morph, about $40. When not racing, it serves as frame pump on our tandem, so plenty powerful (120-130 psi). Note: gauge; fold out foot rest (@ top in photo). Also note: this is what I use to pump tires when traveling by air; and also, I dont bother re-pumping tires race morning. I only have it case tire goes flat overnight, which it never has yet.

The last and only flat I've had in 30+ IMs was in my first, in 2000. Careful attention to tires and tubes pre-race has served me well. Also of note in this photo...race# on shoe, using a blank piece of the sheet the race bag and helmet stickers come on. I always carry a sharpie and small scissors to every race.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2019 7:57AM

@John Schneider . I have just used this at Challenge Roth

It was awesome, pumped up my tyres, my wife's tyres & had enough juice left to pump up another set. Fits really easy into you bag oh and it pumped up my disc wheel with no adaptors.

the link is for amazon.co.uk bit Im sure you'll be able to get one on amazon.com

• Options

When I fly to races, I carry the exact pump that @Al Truscott shows there. I use it to reinflate my tires upon arrival. Race day, I just deal with borrowing; it's lower stress than carrying another thing... I do like the idea of dropping the pump at lost-and-found, though @Tony Ledden