Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Gabe's Leadville Trail Run 100 Plan

Race Plan: Leadville Trail Run 100

Backstory

I’ve been AWOL from the team for the last few months, so let me catch you up. I signed up for Leadville when I lived at around 5,000ft in Utah -- I wasn’t planning to live near sea level. This year has brought many changes. I switched jobs and we moved from Utah back to California to the San Diego area. I swore I was done with California – except if an opportunity to move back to San Diego presented itself. San Diego is my favorite place in the continental US, and I’m super stoked to be back. I’ve made frequent trips to the UK for the new gig. To make the transition even more challenging, my oldest daughter, Skye, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in late April. We’ve been adjusting to the new normal that involves counting carbs before meals and insulin injections. Therefore, I’ve taken a “minimalist” ultra-training approach based on the box life has given me. More on that later.

The Leadville Trail Run 100 is my only DNF. If you’ve been following my intrepid tale, you’ll recall that in 2017 I attempted the Leadman, which is completing all five of the Leadville branded races. I made it through all the races and the only thing standing between me and the Leadman Axe was this race. I was having a pretty good day until around mile 25 when I stepped in a gopher hole hidden under tall grass. My knee bent backwards. By the time I got to the turnaround point at Winfield, I could hardly walk. I actually made it before the cutoff and sat there drinking Coke hoping a miracle would occur. It did not. I decided to live to run another day.

This is a redemption race to get the Leadville monkey off my back.

This year has a strong showing from EN with @tim cronk , @Clark Mitchell, and @Tim Sullivan lining up. @Mark Cardinale is pacing me.

Goals

The Leadville Trail 100 is one of the most storied 100s, the legendary “Race Across the Sky.” It is featured almost like a character in Born to Run. That book made me think I should try an ultra and started this whole epic and crazy journey for me. 

The crux of the race is Hope Pass, taking runners over Hope Pass and back at over 12,000ft. The DNF rate for Leadville is much higher than most 100s at about 50%. That is in large measure because of Hope Pass.

My goals are simple:

·       Run grateful because I am lucky motherfucker to be able to do this epic and stupid shit. 

·       This race is dedicated to my daughter Skye, who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes earlier this year. The doctors say she could still run a marathon. But I know her life is going to be more challenging that I would have ever wanted for her. She'll be right there in my heart pushing me not to quit.

·       Get my damn buckle and don’t take any stupid risks. I think about stepping in that fucking gopher hole all the time. I was pushing trying to save minutes and running in tall grass where I couldn’t see where I was stepping. I have 30 hours to finish. If it takes me 29:59:59, I’ll take it.

Keys to the Race

·       Take what the day gives me. A lot can go right or wrong in 100 miles. The altitude is likely to be a wild card. I was pleasantly surprised at the Run Camp that the altitude didn’t have a big impact on me. Apparently, running in the heat of the day can stimulate the same adaption as training at altitude. I’ve been running mostly mid-day since my new job starts with early calls to the UK. San Diego sun is super intense.

·       Run the flats easy with frequent hiking breaks. For a mountainous 100, Leadville actually has a lot of flat, runnable miles. My take is that many runners ruin their day by hammering the relatively flat first 40 miles out to Twin Lakes and then get massacred on Hope Pass.

·       Save my legs on the climbs by using my trekking poles. I’ll start using them from the earliest legitimate climb at Sugerloaf. I’ll also use them on the “false flat” section from Outward Bound to the descent into Twin Lakes. I recently upgraded to Leki poles. They have this glove system that clips into the poles. Unlike my Black Diamond poles, I found I can comfortably run with them

·       Capture free speed on the descents. Like triathletes, ultrarunners are terrible descenders. It is a technical skill that must be practiced. I think all the descents at Leadville are runnable, even Hope Pass. The section where you can really make up time is the reverse of the “false flat” after the climb out of Twin Lakes. I’m guessing many runners will hike this section.

·       Leverage having a wicked smart pacer with Mark Cardinale. Seriously, the dude is a BAMF. It will be like having a coach out there on the course who knows all the highs and lows of endurance sports. Leadville also lets pacers mule, which means carry your shit. The nighttime section from Twin Lakes until sunrise will be a low point for me. I’ll let Mark pull me through it.

Race Plan

Leadville 100 Race Plan contains my detailed plan for each section, drop bags, and crew/pacers. I based my times off the data I gathered pre-running sections of the course.

Nutrition Strategy

I struggled with nutrition the back half of the Bear 100 and Wasatch 100. I ended up getting most of my calories from Coke the last 50 miles. For me, sports nutrition works the first 50 miles. Then my palate is saturated, and I can’t take it anymore. Marvin Sandoval turned me on the Spring Energy Nutrition. It’s made from real food and tastes unbelievable good. Seriously, I look forward to eating it. I’ll use the gels and electrolyte drink to get calories between aid stations. Then I’ll eat real food at the aid stations. I’ll have pre-flattened bottles of Coke in my drop bags so I can take them with me on the return trip. My target is about 250 calories per hour while I can do math. Then it will be choke down whatever I can.

Conclusion

Now I just have to go do it in a week. My bib is 1000 – what a great number! Follow along as me, Tim Cronk, Clark Mitchell, and Tim Sullivan show how EN does Leadville!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Looking forward to following you guys next weekend. You know what you’re doing and have a great plan matched with assume experience and motivation. Already a success.

• Options

@Gabe Peterson it broke my heart to hear about Skye's diagnosis when we were at the LV camp. I am not a father but in my opinion is she is very lucky to have you for a Dad. You may have been dealt a minimalist prep due to life, but you will persevere , through grit, tenacity, experience, and a score to settle. I look forward to sharing the Leadville 100. Good Skill !

• Options

@Gabe Peterson Having just been in Leadville I am super excited for you and the EN mates you'll course with.

First off, Skye has a world of resources that your family can tap into. Monitors have improved and are better than ever. I have two clients that are 15 and 17 year old female athletes with Type 1 DM. The 15 yo is doing her first century with the JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes. The 17 yo plays competitive soccer, runs and is being scouted for a college sports scholarship. I share this with you so that you believe that Skye will thrive despite DM. She really will.

Have a great race. I think Robert Chose used Spring Nutrition at Leadville MTB last year. I've heard good things about the product. If it gets calories in then do it!

I know you'll be smiling out there. 😊 thriving for Skye!

• Options

@Gabe Peterson first and foremost, all the best for Skye. As a father of 3, this news hit home and I cried when I read it. That being said, I am not sure that she could have a better role model than you. Continue to show her the way. My sister-in-law is a big shit for Dexcom. I am not sure if you are familiar with the company but they have a product that continuously monitors glucose and all data is available real time via garmin, apple watch, phone, etc. If that interests you all let me know and I'll make sure you get the white glove treatment.

OK now on to the lesser important stuff 😀 I think you said it best when you said RUN GRATEFUL. That basically covers everything else. Gratitude is #1.

You are a super smart runner and a role model for me (and others), so just execute like you need to. You know you will get that to dark place, and when you do, own it and love it!!! You could be in a hospital bed somewhere with tubes and shit sticking out of you. But you are not, you are living life to the fullest. Embrace that shit!!

Super excited to track you and the other EN freaks 😀 it's our day (as a team) now go get yours!!!

• Options

@Robert Sabo thanks, we've got to meetup for an adventure one of these days!

@tim cronk super excited to share the course with you, or should I say choke on your dust most of the way. I hope we get to high five on Hope Pass as you charge toward getting the Big Buckle. You were a large part of my inspiration to start these crazy adventures a couple years back. After Leadville, we need to hammer out that Ultra training plan. I'll get to field test my "minimalist" ultra training this Saturday.

@Sheila Leard that's really encouraging and heart warming to hear about your experience with diabetic athletes. Skye is super athletic and I had this dream that she'd become my running buddy, that we'd do an ultra together someday. You give me hope that I can still live that dream. I'll have a big smile for sure when I cross the finish!

@Patrick Large your too kind. It's definitely been a challenging year. Dexcom has been a huge help for Skye. She hated the finger pricks, so she was on edge by the time we gave her the insulin dose. I love your message -- I think about that a lot, especially during dark times. One of these days I won't be able to do these epic adventures, but today is not that fucking day!

• Options

@Gabe Peterson, Congratulations on making it to the start, given everything else that's going on in your life right now. Some people would have thrown in the towel, but you've managed to find a way to get back to Leadville, well prepared and hungry for redemption. Again, congrats.

It's been great training with you this season and I look forward to lining up together on Saturday. I know I'm better prepared thanks to your insights and experience.

See you tomorrow and good skill to you on Saturday!

• Options

@Gabe Peterson Looking forward to meeting you either today or tomorrow, helping how I can, and seeing you kick Leadville's ass. Regarding Skye, I saw two athletes at 70.3 Boulder wearing CGMs, one Dexcom and one I didn't catch, along with pumps, so it's becoming more common in endurance sports; she has a bright future ahead!

• Options

These ultra things are like Himalayan expeditions - the planning seems as involved as the training. I hope your experience rewards your preparation.