Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions

Pre-Mortem Traverse City Bike Split

Just sharing something over-the-top nerdy. I've been planning my Traverse City Bike Split in BestBikeSplit. After downloading the BBS plan as a 'Garmin Activity,' I uploaded it as a workout into WKO5 and did a 'pre-mortem.' Here is the dashboard:

I love the ability to visualize the ride like this beforehand and wonder what will go wrong.

Probably need to ride harder :-)

Comments

• I expect nothing less @Rich Stanbaugh !

Didn't realize the course had as much up and down...expected it to be flatter like Steelhead. Good luck....wish I would have signed up before that race filled up.

• How timely given @Coach Patrick recent podcast on doing a pre-mortem of your race. I'm sorry to say I don't think I can add any type of analytical insights to help @Rich Stanbaugh , but I look forward to watching this thread and watching you kick some butt in TC.

• "Probably need to ride harder :-)"

If you end up with a TSS of 146, and an IF of 75.6 for a 2.5 hour HIM ride, I'd say, "Uh, Yeah." Problem I've always discovered with BBS is that it underestimates the VI I end up actually doing, which of course raises that TSS. But still, it seems like another trip to the drawing board is in order.

• @Al Truscott I've been going back and forth on exactly the same thought. I rode the course 2x (and also Anna and Nick, so 4 rides, 3 Garmins) on my road bike and had 3,000' of climbing, not the 2,100' that BBS shows or the 2,400 in the IM guide. My last ride on my road bike was at Pnorm 240w and it took me β‰ˆ2:38, which translates to 0.82 and TSS 178 with today's fitness . VI was 1.04 on that ride. A closed course on TT bike will be faster...

I "think" that if I ride at about Pnorm 225w and VI is about 1.04, that I can come in sub 2:30 and I think sub 2:30 will be a fast ride on this course.

After two rides, I think the bike course is harder than it looks on paper. I haven't raced in two years. This is a B race. I really want to execute well and build some confidence on the way to Louisville.

Still haven't written the race plan though...