Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Jessica Mitchell Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, As part of your first month inside Endurance Nation with white glove service! 👋🏻

As a PlanEN customer you don't normally have access to our Forums, but we want to make sure your first 30-days are focused and impactful. Then you can decide on the best path forward!

This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Hudson Mohawk half marathon 10/13/19

Your Notes

Hello! I’m looking forward to working with this group. Quick background on me....I started tri’s in 2005 with a 70.3. Since then I have completed 3 Ironman distances, 11 marathons and countless 70.3’s and shorter races. In 2009 I ran a BQ however since about 2014 I have been struggling. My work/family/training balance has been really tough and my racing has steadily declined. In 2010 I completed my USAT level 1 certification but these last couple years I have been in a vicious cycle of bad habits yet expecting results and then the disappointment when the results aren’t what I want. I am dropping my son off at college in 10 days so I thought maybe now would be a good time to refocus and occupy my mind while I adjust to an empty nest. Additionally, I own a training facility so I really have no excuses other than being tired or stressed.....which is sometimes true but sometimes just an excuse (if I’m really being honest). I have gained about 35lbs in the last few years and am not anywhere near the level of competition that I was. Signing up here and admitting that I may not be able to do this on my own is a bit tough for me, but I’m sure I need it!My current fitness quite frankly sucks!! I train very inconsistently when I feel like it. I’m running about 10 miles per week and 4 miles is my longest run all year. Last year I had my first IM DNF and it stung! I ran a marathon in the fall that was better than my last few but not anywhere near what I wanted (although the weather was awful). I also try to mix in some strength training and I would really like to work on that more....possibly 2-3 x weekly.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on July 21, 2019

• On 07/22/2019 Load the Half Balanced Plan to end on 10/13/2019
  • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 10/27/2019
  • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited July 22, 2019 6:38PM

Jessica, Hudson Half Marathon. What a cool event. Congratulations putting this race on the calendar and getting back after it. After several IMs, marathons and 70.3s + running a fitness facility, you are no stranger to working hard. Our goal is to make you the best self-coached athlete you can be and a big part of that equation is getting smart about your training, what works best for you and honing your race execution skills.

I'm here to make your first 30 days as easy and awesome as possible. I saw that you are already posted workouts and comments in Final Surge. So, here are some easy steps to get the most out out your training plan, Coach Thread and Final Surge.

First, Power user tip! Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See the video, to see what I am talking about:

I'll monitor this thread for your first thirty days and help you get up to speed with your plan, your basic schedule, terminology, and all of our resources.

Next, getting setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.)

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Then chose either Garmin or Strava. Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

As you get all your tech setup (Connecting to Final Surge) either Garmin or Strava. Also consider downloading the Final Surge App. This might make it way easier to add comments about how you felt, what you ate (before, during, even after for recovery), weather, sets and paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress - miles/minutes/time in zones, as well as what you expected vs how you felt, pacing decision, mental cues etc. The data in Final Surge + your comments give a more complete picture of your training. These will all help you (us) dial in your training and race plan, including pacing, nutrition and hydration. It will show you (us) what works for you, set appropriate goals and race plans.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick note goes a long way.

It also makes it easy to make comments on your workouts and plan for your upcoming workouts.

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Again my goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

@Jessica Mitchell

• Options

Ok....so I’m working on getting al this set up. I already downloaded the Final surge app and connected it to my Garmin. Although I have an old garmin (910) and I rarely upload the data to the computer. I usually just manually enter it. I guess I’m just not super tech savvy.

I did the 5k time trial yesterday.....which pretty much sucked. Then I took my son for a pretty tough hike....6.6 miles and 2000 ft of climbing. I didn’t think the ftp bike rest would be very accurate today as I am a little sore from all that. I’ll get it in in the next few days. I currently use Trainer Road but I’ll get the data in.

Next week we will be taking our son to college on a Wednesday. From there we are driving to Florida to demo our products at a bodybuilding competition. We will have a booth at the expo for a few days. I will try my best to get some running in on the hotel treadmill. We are driving down and back so there will definitely be a few days of no working out due to the drive.

What is the best way to communicate? Should I just fill out in Final Surge and wait to hear from you?

Thanks again!

Jessica

• Options

Jessica, nice work getting your 5k time trial in yesterday. I'm with you, humidity always makes it seem a bit tougher. Don't worry, you will have a few more chances to get after it again over the next few weeks, This gives a good measure of your threshold heart rate, which is more important than pace right now as you get back to consistent training. Good work!

Congratulations on taking your son to college. Huge milestone, for him and you. Good luck at the demo and expo. Focus on enjoying the workouts on the trip, shorter and more frequent is better than big single days. Just a few minutes each day - even just getting in a warm-up will be a good break mentally and physically. Use the structure of the Final Surge workouts if that helps you, otherwise do what sounds enjoyable.

This forum is the best way to communicate. Your data and comments in Final Surge are helpful to you (and us) to see how your training is progressing. I say data and comments, because there are really two sides to your training: the data and the story. Your heart rate, pace, weather data becomes even more valuable when it has the context of how you felt, what you were thinking about, how your nutrition went (before, after, during). Knowing what works for you and how your body/mind is responding to the training is key to developing as a self-coached athlete.

*Pro Tip: Click on the star and the checkbox next to the title of this thread at the very top, just to the right. You will get an email notification of our response - this will help to keep the dialogue going.

Talk to you on Sunday!

• Options

Jessica, it was good to talk with you yesterday. Nice work on setting and updating your run zones in your plan. If you need help reseting your EN password use the red button on the bottom right hand part of the screen. Remember to link your Apple watch with Strava, then link Final Surge to Strava. There are some screen shots in the thread above that can walk you through it. Have a good trip dropping your son off at college and your follow-on work at the expo. Keep the running easy and fun. Shorter or more frequent runs are a good way to start building that consistency. We can chat again in another 1-2 weeks. Keep at it.

• Options

Nice job with the long run last week and intervals this week! You have a bit a consistency streak - its starting to come together. Keep at it!

• Options
    Thanks Matt! I'm working on it! I am planning to head out for my 8 mile
    run in a little bit. 90% humidity today should feel fantastic!! I just
    keep telling myself that all this humidity will make fall running amazing!
    Today is my first day off since before I went to Fl (about 3-4 weeks now)
    so I am looking forward to getting this in. I also have Thursday off so I
    will likely do my long run that day as I have double scheduled on Fri, Sat,
    and Sunday next weekend. Thanks for the flexibility!

Jess

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 9:24 AM matt limbert <
    teamenforums+d25939-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > matt limbert commented on Jessica Mitchell Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]
    >
    > Nice job with the long run last week and intervals this week! You have a
    > bit a consistency streak - its starting to come together. Keep at it!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/277780#Comment_277780
    > Check it out
    >
    >
This discussion has been closed.