Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 
Options

where is the latest discussion for the over 50+ modifications to intervals/workouts?

I'm looking for the latest info on how to adjust higher zone work and recovery, specifically ideas on how to modify a workout if my legs can't do all the intervals, or none of the intervals! Thanks!

I know there was a recent discussion, just can't find it!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Sue DeJesus After going through about 35 Ironman training cycles, about 25 of them with EN, here are my thoughts:

A month out from an Ironman, you should be at peak (or trough) fatigue. Your whole body should feel on the edge of exhaustion, and if that's the case, maybe trying to do any high end work running is not the best use of your time and energy while you go through the last few big weeks in the IM prep phase. Number one goal now is to avoid injury and burn out while getting those final long rides and runs in. The high end, speed, or interval work at this point in training usually suffers, and if it is making you fatigued, or causing pain, its best to avoid it, especially in the run.

Remember the axiom, it's better to be a little bit under-trained, than a little bit over-trained, or even injured going into an Ironman. Getting to the start line refreshed and healthy, with a few more weekly long rides, runs, and swims, is your number one priority now. Then meticulous attention to race-day planning, and race-day pace management and nutrition/hydration ("execution") will be worth far more than any slight increase in high end speed you might build over these last three week of training before your taper.

• Options

@Al Truscott Thanks so much Al! This helps a lot and puts me at ease skipping the high interval work.

I've been struggling with the higher zone work especially last week and I'm now heading into camp week then the last 5 weeks to IMChoo. So instead of the interval work do you do a steady state instead? TP Form is at a negative 36 today. Do you put much stock in those numbers? Thanks again!

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 2:33AM

@Sue DeJesus For me, a negative 36 TSB would be a key indicator to take a day off! Even if it means skipping a scheduled workout, and especially if my sleep were being disrupted (too little, too much, napping, waking up a lot), and/or I was losing weight, and/or getting grumpy, or not hungry.

As to what do do instead of a scheduled high-intensity (interval) bike workout. I'd try to hit the numbers on the first interval. If I could, but felt tired or fatigued, I might consider increasing the recovery interval, and/or decreasing the number of intervals, and/or decreasing the effort level. But if you are @ -36, and have an interval session scheduled tomorrow on the bike, I'd say do a recovery ride, like 60-75' @ 0.65 IF +/-.

The hardest workouts I do are the ones I skip - meaning it is always a mental challenge to stand down for a day when I know I need to. The momentum/inertia of our training plans sometimes leads us into a brick wall, especially when we get over 60-65.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 12:00PM

@Al Truscott Thank you for this. I did take Sunday off, but that has not been enough. My bike yesterday I did great for very short intervals, felt strong, but the bottom dropped out for longer intervals so I adjusted and did lighter spinning for the remainder of the workout. I have an hour run scheduled today Z3 out & Z4 back. I won't be doing that workout. I could walk, and I have an ElliptiGO on a trainer I could do instead.

I can SO relate to your last paragraph - "the hardest workouts I do are the ones I skip"

In looking back at my training cycles for the 2 Ironman races I've done, I got sick 6 weeks before BOTH races. In both training cycles I see a sudden dip in the TSB about 7-8 weeks out. So it looks like another day off is in order! I want to avoid getting sick at all costs! Thanks so much for your input. I just turned 68 so I have to just accept that recovery is something I must pay special attention to!