Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

The Official Challenge Ride Thread

Planning and Executing your Annual Challenge Ride (And share yours in the replies!!)

The Challenge Ride is a new addition to the 2019 - 2020 long course Triathlon plans. If you are doing a half for a full Ironman then you have a Challenge Ride on your schedule. Quite frankly, if you're doing a race that has cycling as a part of it, you should be doing a Challenge Ride!!

Origin of the Challenge Ride

This came from my 2018 season where I was out to check a box on my bucket list of completing a 200-mile ride. In doing so, I inadvertently Forest a significant change in my fitness through the incredibly large dose of aerobic volume.

In other words, the majority of endurance training is quality over quantity and while that works we are definitely missing part of the element that make up an endurance athlete. To compensate for this we now do the Challenge Ride.

How to Pick Your Ride Distance

Generally speaking the right distance is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2 times greater then your target race distance.

Obviously, this can get quite long for athletes doing Ironman-distance events so discretion is the better part of valor.

You should pick a course that you feel safe on and that you know will not be too challenging. The goal here again is completion, not to annihilate yourself. You will ride the challenge ride at a very easy pace, will be commonly referred to as JRA pace.

This is a pace that we could all ride together if we wanted to. There should be no high amounts of intensity here is the recovery period will simply be too great. You will need to plan logistics for nutrition and fluids and for safety as well so don't forget those.

Power Tip: Ideally set the last quarter of your ride to be close to home to be flat as possible so that you can simply get it done when your body hates you.

Other Logistical Considerations

Navigation: You will deftly want a full route mapped into your by computer so that you can get lost when your brain quits. You will want to know ahead of time where the major towns are or at least the dedicated eight stations.

Pain Management: Definitely make sure you carry salt and Advil/Tylenol so that you can take care of any issues that should arise over time.

Skin Care: Always remember sunscreen.

Nutrition: Don't be afraid to stop and eat real food if needed.

Post Ride Guidance

Immediately: The day after your Challenge Ride should be completely off from exercise. Period. Full stop. You should be spending the entire 24 hours recovering from hydration and calorie standpoint.

Days 1 to 3 post ride: As you get back into your regular training the first 2 to 3 days will be unsatisfactory to you because of the fatigue. Don't worry about forcing the numbers just roll with what you got and soon enough those legs will come around.

Now, post your personal rides and experiences!!

~ Coach P

Comments