Homeβ€Ί Community Forum 🏠
Options

Trailer Hitch Bike Racks

We're about to take delivery in the next two weeks on our mini-RV pop-up van (Metris based, Mercedes mini-van), and REI is having its annual 20% off sale starting this Friday, so I;ve been researching trailer hitch bike racks to complete the package.

I;ve narrowed it down to Thule Pro XT vs Yakima Hold-Up EVO, both with the 2-bike add-on, 4 total. Total cost will be about the same as an IM registration.

Similar features they share: support bikes by wheels, not frames; integrated locking system; fold-down for swing-up rear door access; 50# weight; long-time companies with quality reputations. I've looked at the Thule in use, but not the Yakima. Reading online reviews seems to give the edge to Thule.

Anyone have any experience they can share to help with my final decision?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I have the Thule, and got it in 2016 when Backcountry.com as having some kind of big sale. It works perfect and I have never had an issue with it. I like that the strap for the back wheel is easy to adjust for a bike with deeper section wheels. If I had a disc wheel I guess I would just load the bike other with a standard wheel or something. It is easy to put on and off the car for how heavy it is.

Also that are where the front wheel goes has a wide carrier so you can put a road bike, or mountain bike wheel in there.

Overall, I really like it and it is easy to put on and take off. I got it for a 2" hitch and it seems really strong and solid back there.

Good luck.

• Options

I have the One-up, three bike system, @Al Truscott - you saw it in action on our VT camp.. indestructible, great for all bike types.. @John Withrow approved

• Options

@Al Truscott, most hitch bike racks that hold 4 bikes are Dang Heavy! I have the One-Up and it is bullet-proof. I have one of the attachments to use one slot for my fat bike (if I want) and the other setup normally. I just have the 2 bike setup but have a friend who also has one, so could just borrow his if I want to convert it into a 3 bike or 4 bike, but it's already pretty heavy as a 2 bike. to add bikes, you just bolt on more trays.

Last summer, I wanted an alternative to carry 4 bikes regularly (instead of borrowing more trays), and it was just as cheap to buy the Yakima Hold-Up EVO witht the +2 attachment as it would have been to buy two more trays for the One-Up. I put the Yakima together and it's "fine", a little bit more play than the One-Up, but perfectly safe. Not quite as over engineered as the One-Up is, but certainly "Good Enough" for hauling our 4 mountain bikes to races. Setup as a 4 bike it is also very heavy. I can get it on the vehicle by myself, but I'm not sure Jess would be able to it by herself. I would probably rate the Yakima as a ~7 or ~8 out of 10, perfectly functional, but nothing special. I'm sure you'd get many years of use out of it without issue (if you could actually lift it onto your hitch).

• Options

I know you didn't mention as an option, @Al Truscott , but I've got to throw a plug in for the Kuat NV 2.0. Great construction, do not move in the hitch, and bikes are very secure. It also comes with a seat post hanger so when the rack is up, you could hang a bike off if you needed to do some quick work. (You can also buy a separate stand that it will nest into to give you a separate bike stand).

I have had for two years now and love it. It'll hold road, mtn, and fat bikes. Like the Thule and Yakima, it's pretty heavy in the 4-bike set-up. I can get on the back of my Jeep, but my wife wouldn't be able to lift it.

• Options

@Al Truscott @Jeff Phillips 2x vote for the Kuat NV 2.0 it has integrated cable locks that slide out of the rack itself. It does have a pivot to tilt the bikes down and out of the way when you need to access a back door. Super stable. The pivot/tilt is practical for 2x bikes, it would be too awkward for 4x bikes. It is heavy though. In 4 bike more (Sorry that didn't answer your original question about (Thule Pro XT vs Yakima Hold-Up EVO).

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 3:48AM

I suspect @Al Truscott chose those two in part because they are included in the REI sale starting soon (and the lower cost compared to the 1up and Kuat). I don't have direct experience with them; from reviews they look okay for most people but some have had them fail quickly due to the plastic parts.

I have had the Kuat NV (version 1), and would recommend it. Like the other premium hitch racks it is very heavy, but it's solid and I never had any issues with it. Tightening in the hitch, locks and tilting are simple. It wouldn't be as good with fenders, and kids bikes require an adapter. The rack also needs some assembly initially, but that is a one-time deal.

I'm currently using the Saris MTR (2 bike version). Also a well-built, sturdy rack and it has some unique features like trays that pivot up when no bikes are installed so they don't block brake lights. I also find it a little faster than the Kuat to get bikes on and off (though both are pretty quick). It is a brand new design so does have some growing pains, like a locking hitch pin that Saris will probably redesign soon.

• Options

Kuat NV 2.0 it is...decided by the foot lever which the 2.0 introduced to tilt the unit down/away from the vehicle, along with the poor reviews for Yakima plastic parts. I will not get the add-on bike stand, at least as of now.

• Options

Democracy in action!

• Options

Good choice with the Kuat. I have one and love it. Very solid and I got it at REI during one of their sales.

• Options

Looks like you already made your decision, but just wanted to let you know I've got the Yak 2-up (forget the formal name), with the 2-bike extension (which I've only used twice so far).

• Options
    edited August 27, 2019 3:33PM

I'm late to the discussion as well, but I have the minimalist 1-UP for our Honda Civic and love the simplicity with the option to add a piece for an additional bike. The system keeps pressure off the frame and deep dish wheels, but secures the bike at the tires. Locks can be purchased. I love it.