Home Community Forum 🏠

Interview Questions Needed for Dave Scott & Mark Allen

😱 not a typo...I will be interviewing these legends, together, on this Thursday at 5pm. They are promoting something new with regards to their epic race together, (aka The IronWar) and they promise to share new details.

I, of course, want to get you in on it. Assuming that they will let me ask questions, I want to be ready.

Please post a question or two below, and I'll pick a few to work into this epic video / podcast!

It promises to be a really fun interview...Dave is already maKing fun of Mark. Dave insists on video because apparently last time "Mark looked like he barely survived an electrocution attempt"!!! 🤣

Also taking any tips on things I should not do to mess this thing up.

Thanks Team!!!

Comments

• So awesome! I think I’m too young to contribute any highly relevant questions. But I’m super excited and I’m am sure you’ll do great!! I guess a couple possible questions would be something like: “what is one piece of key advice you would offer to new triathletes (or triathletes new to long distance racing)?” “Or what is one of your favorite racing or training memories?” But those are super generic....I’m sure others can contribute many much better questions.

Remember to take it to 11 @Coach Patrick ! 😉 I’m sure you’ll do great!

• Is there anything we all have come to believe about the Ironwar that isn’t really true?

We all think about the last hill on the run but were there any other key defining moment in the race for each of them?

what’s the key to racing well in Kona?

• Mentally how did you prepare going in to the race? What adjustment were made throughout the race?

• @Coach Patrick : With the benefit of hindsight and the shifting priorities that come with age, if they had the opportunity to battle each other all over again, what would they each do differently in terms of preparation, training, nutrition and balancing triathlon with the rest of life.

• "Glorify the past, the future dries up" -- Bono, U2

Ask them what needs to happen for triathlon to thrive in the future. E.g., WTC vs ITU, different mixes (distances, aquabike, aquathlon. swim/run), and, especially, how to mainstream our sport among younger athletes...

• Training methodologies:

Dave Scott coaches with more intensity. Mark Allen - over distance. Do they still profess this?

Why has it taken so long for their marathon records to be broken? Mark Allen had a 2:40. They trained in those days with lots of Olympic Races to make money. Did all that short course racing contribute to their running success? Raced to fitness?

Diet

Dave Scott is now promoting LCHF - would he have raced LCHF back in the day?

Spiritual

Does Mark Allen still profess Shamanism with Brant Secunda? That it was the spiritual force that allowed him to surge ahead of Dave in the race? Mark Allen once said when he looked at the lava field he was spiritually empowered. The little white plants surviving in the lava fields.

The Sport in General

Thoughts on how to move away from WTC for the sport to survive.

• As "seasoned veteran" triathletes (e.g. aging), how has their approach to Training evolved?

• Physically (frequency, duration, intensity)
    • Mentally (goal-setting, motivation)
  • How does Mark Allen feel about Patrick Lange getting credit for a new marathon record of 2:39:45, when his 1989 record of 2:40:04 included the T2 which was thought to be 1:15 netting him a comparable running marathon time of 2:38:51 when the T2 is factored in or almost a full minute faster than Lange?

X2 on Dave Scott LCHF promotion. Although I know the answer.

• These are all great questions...I will see what I can work into the conversation! Anyone else can posT questions leading right up to the 5pm start time today (Thursday).

• When will this be posted? I listened yesterday to their conversation with Lance Armstrong on his podcast. As usual, it was more about Lance than Mark or Dave, but interesting nonetheless. I'm sure with less ego invested, @Coach Patrick' will be both more succinct, and superiorly informative.

• is this podcast going to go up on the you tube channel as a video? @Coach Patrick