Home General Training Discussions

Garmin520 battery issue

On my last few long rides my Garmin 520 has either had < 20% battery or actually had to go into battery save mode. What can I do to extend the battery so I don't have a problem when I next race an IM?

other modes? Or delete something?

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• According to garmin's website here are the options.

Make sure the back light is not always on and Bluetooth is not enabled unless you are using it for something. If you have the GPS set on GLONASS, enhanced for difficult environments, this could also be eating extra batter. A final option would be the recording interval but smart recording only gives key points where you change direction, speed, or heart rate so not a good option.

Maximizing Battery Life

• My 520 battery life is getting shorter and shorter. Used to last ~8 hrs, now is down to ~6 hrs. Here's what I do/have done to get ~6 hrs

1. Reduced brightness to 10% (but will turn it off now), 2. Turned on auto turn-off, 3. Turn off all sensors except one HR and power meter. 4. Turn off bluetooth (when ready to upload, I turn it back on).

• Turning off Bluetooth and backlight will help some, but it might be time to replace it soon. After 3 years mine got to the point where it would barely last a 3-hour ride, so I picked up a 520 Plus (today I would get the 530).

One thing I have done to get through a long (12-hour) day was to rig up an external battery, but that's not really something you want to deal with in an IM.

• I have same issues with 820. I also started using Varia radar and that is a big battery drainer. I tried pairing it to watch, but I found that is not effective to get my attention.

Unfortunately, I think an 830 or Element is in my future.

• My 520 also appears to be nearing its useful life. Will have to apply tips above.

• Whenever I’ve had this happen on a 520, it was because I’d been in doors in the trainer and made backlight adjustments that I didn’t reverse before going outside.

• Mine died prematurely. Called garmin to get $100 refurbished replacement.