Homeβ€Ί Announcements πŸŽ™
Options

Achilles pain at heel insertion

So I did this fun half marathon in Vancouver, just for fun but it was only 60 degrees out! wow! What a treat! So I ran hard and... after that had pain in Achilles. Am taping and icing but I have worlds and Kona. I did two runs since Vancouver. The last was about 4 miles and I’m in pain again. Tape ice and Aleve.... Help! Don’t run till race? Then don’t train for Kona? 🧐. My thought is walk if I must

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Often tight calves are the culprit for foot and ankle problems. Try massage or ART techniques to release the calves besides what you are doing. See if that helps!

• Options

@Patricia Rosen I thought I responded to this on Friday morning, but don't see my comment here, so, I'll try again:

Doctor, the LAST thing you want is to rupture your Achilles before Oct 12. As you well know, we get brittle and fragile at this age. If it were me, I'd find a Sports Med doc and an Orthopod I trust, and get them to take a look at me. I'm not smart enough to know if an MRI can discover micro tears which might indicate an incipient rupture, but if there's a chance it can, use your charm and expectation of professional courtesy to get one.

I know you're not a football player, but I remember two years ago, one of my favorite Seattle Seahawks, Richard Sherman, played for months with a similar pain. Finally, they carried him off the field on a cart with a rupture, he was out for nine months...And then there's the neurologist friend of mine who had his achilles repaired. He violated his doctor's rules about return to activity, using injections to block the pain - had to be re-operated on, down for another year. Don't mess around with this unless you are SURE there's no risk of further injury.

• Options

thanks all! went to ART and also stopped running. Saw my ortho on Friday. it is at insertion so rupture is not likely but I need to chill for sure. No running till race this Saturday and then recheck with ortho prior to going back to it for Kona. My calves are fine, I have stretches and other exercises... I'l probably get a different shoe for racing than my Newtons which are low. KT tape is on. Keeping fingers crossed :)

Love you guys! appreciate advice and warnings!

• Options

Patty, Turby has something similar. He went to the Podiatrist and it is bursitis around the ankle/achilles tendon. He is getting shock treatments twice a week and it has helped a LOT. He could not run for 3 weeks! Best of luck in your recovery and treatment!

• Options

What’s β€œshock” treatment?

• Options

I should have said shock wave therapy. :-)

• Options

what is shock wave therapy? is that like getting into Barton Springs without a wetsuit near the diving board? πŸ˜‰

• Options

ok, I looked it up. Looks like a good idea. now I need to find someone who does that in this area... in the meantime, I'm off to World's in France. taping, ice and rest with NSAID is all I can do at present.

• Options

Sounds like you've got a plan! Glad the calf is not contributing!

• Options

I listened to all of you'all! I went to my awesome massage therapist and had her work on the gastroc and soleus. She also does ART which is a nice plus. All is moving in the softer tissues...

Thanks, Sue!

• Options

I was able to do 70.3 Worlds in Nice and to run the whole race! I bought Hokas (Clifton 6) on site! which had a 10 mm rise at the heel, a big change from my usual 3 mm rise in my Newtons. Now, on to Kona! won't be much training for this one! I looked up the shock wave therapy and it sounds great but the folks who offer that therapy here aren't the best ... so I'm skipping that for now. I will go to PT on Monday.

• Options

Good luck Patricia!

• Options

Thanks Virginia!

• Options

Congratulations on Nice! Have fun in Kona!