Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Susan Johnson 2019 Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Ok, here's that Season plan! I like the two "half" year coming up; you are ready for it! In traditional fashion, you are going RDP to Jan OutSeason Plan before entering your year. I have you doing the Bike Focused half first, and Run Focused half plan second. In between I have you doing 4 weeks of the Bike Focus plan; I really think you can "grow" on the bike this year, and want to give you every opportunity.

This plan does require some pretty trick load/adjust plans stuff in Final Surge. If you need help, please check out the "load specific plans into your account" post on the Help Site or ask us for help!

Your Races

• 06/29/19 Pacific Crest 72.3
  • 10/07/19 Best in the West 70.3 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/22/2018
  • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
  • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 06/30/2019
  • On 7/1/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/14/2019
  • On 7/15/2019 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 08/25/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 8/12/2019 Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 10/07/2019
  • On 10/8/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/21/2019

Your Notes

Last year I did an Olympic distance tri and a half ironman distance.I have been doing triathlon since 2000, and my only goals are to maintain fitness. I am a solid back-of-the-pack athlete. I am currently doing as much of the 2018 OS plan as my schedule allows. I have had a lot of traveling for business and family this fall. Although I am slow, I am not a beginner!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So great to hear from you and excited to help you conquer your next challenge! I have lined up your plans and have you "starting" with some cycling just for a few weeks as the fall closes out. Would be nice to get some bike endurance in before we start the "traditional" winter build of the OutSeason®. It’s straightforward from there, with the only exception being your HALF to FULL transition. You’ll start with the HALF plan for a few weeks and then move over the FULL. The HALF will bridge you up, and then we’ll have to integrate the Half into your actual FULL build. Let me know what you think and if you need help loading plans!

Your Races

• 06/20/2020 72.3 Pacific Crest "Beastman"
    • 08/30/2020 Ironman Canada

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the    Metric Century, Balanced (12 Weeks) to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 6/21/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/27/2020

Your Notes

I have been doing triathlons since 2001 - consistently race one or two a year. Recently have mostly done half ironman distances, but have done some full ironman (last one in 2014). My fastest 70.3 this year was 7:11, which is about what it was at the same race 9 years ago.

I am 57 and my goal is to maintain my fitness level as long as possible. I have never been fast & realize I never will be! Just finished my training season with a half ironman (did two races of that distance this year). Will be traveling and not training until the end of September.

While I am not as fast as your suggested times for "level 2", I usually use that training plan as it challenges me and keeps me from slowing down. I have enough experience self-coaching that I adjust my workouts according to how I feel.

I am proud to say that I have not had a major over use injury in all my years of racing.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P