Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Scott Liston's IM Chattanooga Race Execution Plan

Hi folks. This is my fourth IM (LV '10, LV '11, WISC '16), first time Chattanooga. I went to the race camp which was very helpful. I have pretty much executed the EN IM Advanced Plan over the past 12 weeks with a solid base since December.

Insight, tips, and advice always appreciated. If you learn something from reviewing this, feel free to use and let me know that too :).

I will focus on race execution and spare you all the prep discussion though I have very detailed plans there.

I use a Garmin 920XT for everything with a bike mount (so 2016)!

Swim

Full wetsuit if it is wetsuit legal, just my kit if it is not (I don’t have a swim skin)

Swim as fast as form allows

Expect the unexpected; be willing to turn over on back to fix any issues like googles

Form cues: Powerful switches on a good cadence, two-thirds position, grab big piles of sand with hands and forearms, head down, chest down, legs up, kicking strongly but not too strongly

Time TBD depending on current, :58?

·       Upon exiting the water, keep cap and googles on my head

·       Pull left sleeve off, then pull right sleeve off

·       Move suit to nearly off hips as running to transition

·       [Get wetsuit off with help of strippers]

·       [Research the jog to the transition tent when on site]

·       Get my bike transition bag and go find a place to do my transition steps

T1

Transition Steps

Press Lap on the Garmin to begin T1. Lock the keys before getting to the strippers. [Hold Mode Button, select Lock Device] Keep on wrist.

·         Set wetsuit, cap and goggles on the left

·         Open bag and set in the middle

·         Glasses (in helmet) on first; clip-ons immediately in back right pocket

·         Take out helmet with stuff inside and set in front

·         Take out shoes and set to the right

·         [Wipe face with towel]

·         Put on socks

·         [Put on arm warmer rolls]

·         Put extra nutrition into the back of the jersey

·         Put on helmet

·         Put on shoes? [Are shoe on the bike or not?, if no I may walk with them in hand if a long transition]

·         Put stuff back in the bag – hand bag and wetsuit to volunteer

·         Walk/jog to bike

·         Unroll arm sleeves as I walk/jog

·       TAKE THE GARMIN OFF AND PUT IT ON BIKE MOUNT & HIT THE GARMIN LAP BUTTON

·       Go beyond the Mount line and ask volunteer to hold bike while I put on shoes if necessary

·       Mount & leave

Bike

·       When it’s safe, and if it’s sunny, get clips-ons from right jersey and put on

·       What’s my heart rate? Get below 120,

·       Eat and drink and navigate the first ~6 miles to Dollar General

Power Plan

[My FTP is 251W and I weigh158 lbs.]

·       TSS 280 – 290

·       IF 68%

·       NP: 170

·       VI: 104-105

Garmin set for 6-mile segments: they should be between 165 – 175 NP and average ~21 minutes (just under 18 mi/hr. but I won’t be chasing speed).

My climbing cap is in the 190-200 range for 1-2 minutes

Long climbs > 3 minutes at 180-185

Keep speed up as much as possible for small rollers maybe violating the above a bit for speed (200-240 burst).

Heart Rate Plan

Watch it while executing power plan. At camp, my average heart rate until 2nd Hog Jowl was 114. The average after 2nd Hog Jowl was 117. This is where I pushed it a little and it got harder.

I am willing to operate in the 120s watching power and time for the segments if it’s hot.

HR cap of 133; 130-133 for the last hour is OK. That’s the beginning of Z3 for me. Probably won’t get there unless it’s very hot.

Aero Reminders/Self-Talk during the bike (a weakness for me)

·       “Empty the bucket” – hips rotated back to straighten back

·       Turtle the head between the shoulders

·       Look only three feet down the road as much as possible

·       Sight like swimming, glance up, back down

·       Relaxed shoulders, relaxed hands on top of bars as much as possible

·       Up to stretch back during steepest climbs then right back down

Finish time: 6:10 – 6:30, depends on aero position compliance and porto to pee vs. off the bike

T2

·       TAKE THE GARMIN OFF THE BIKE BEFORE HANDING THE BIKE TO A VOLUNTEER

·       Give bike to the volunteer.

·       PUT GARMIN BACK ON WRIST, HIT LAP BUTTON TO BEGIN T2.

Take stock, perhaps get some water and a gel.

Do I have to pee? Then do so.

Get run transition bag

[Make sure I have a fresh change of socks on the run special needs bag if it will be rainy or way hot to avoid blisters]

Take off bike stuff

·       Helmet

·       Glasses & clip-ons

·       Arm warmers

·       Wipe face and put on new socks as necessary

Put on shoes

Grab “go Zip Lock” with sunglasses, hat/visor, Race Saver bag, gel and contact case-with-sun-screen, waist pocket and S-Caps

·       Stop off to pee. [Eat a gel while peeing?]

·       HIT LAP BUTTON ON THE GARMIN SOMETIME WHEN I SEE THE END OF TRANSITION

·       Put on hat, glasses, sunscreen as I go, put case in tri top for trash deposit later.

·       Eat a gel early on the run or in transition

Run

My Strava Critical Power is 268

The below power targets are what are proven in my long runs.

Two Key questions the whole time:

·       “Can I hold this pace the rest of the way?”

·       “Am I slowly and steadily cranking up my effort all day?”

Segment 1 - SEVEN MILES (Start to the first bridge)

BE SMART - focus on keeping heart rate down, staying cool and wet and eating enough

Heart Rate: No higher than Bike Average Heart Rate to start

Power = 195, probably about 10:45s

Get wet and stay wet!

Eat more:

·       Gatorade Endurance – 4 to 8 oz. at every aid station (1-2 bottle/hr. rate)

·       Gel at T2 or 1, 3, 5 and maybe 7!

Segment 2 – 10 MILES (Northside Hills to the Bike Path Turn-around at 17)

BE STEADY (Wait for it!)

Power target of 207, probably about 10:07 – the first round of the Northside hills and then the second loop of the path to the turn-around at 17

Watch Heart Rate: should not exceed 133 if it is hot.

GE – 4-8 oz. each aid station

Still a gel every three miles – 10, 13, 16

Segment 3 – 9 MILES 17 to Finish – Bike path return and second Northside hills and to the finish.

BE TOUGH!

Tell myself lies! Cadence, cadence, cadence – that’s the game.

Heart rate as a whip as we hit the bridge at Mile 20.7 – can I get and hold 130-136???

Walking the steepest hills might be best but DON’T TURN THE ENGINE OFF!

Hold on, the Power floor is 190! When below 190, quicker cadence, lean forward, lift ‘em up/set ‘em down, chin down, work hard to bring it back to 190 which is 11:05s Work, work, work!

Im my stomach can handle it still take the gets every three miles – 19, 22, (25-26)

Can move from GE to Coke and Salt tabs here. Every 2-3 aid stations take an S cap depending on the heat. (341 mg Sodium each).

Finish time with aid stations = 4:36 +/-

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Shoes can be left on your bike @Scott Liston

I would do your best to stay out of z3 on the bike. You will need all the heart beats you can get on the run. Barton really sucks it out of you on the second lap.

The swim exit is a good distance from the changing tent. Out of the water turn right, the left up a pretty steep/long metal ramp, turn right and get your T1 bag then on to the tent

Also do you preload salt/hydration the day before or morning of?

• Options

@Scott Liston

I'm with Josh avoid the Z3 unless you are climbing, better to back off a little if it's hot.

T1 - "extra nutrition in back of jersey" - can you get this on the bike to save time, tape on gels/bento box.

T2 - "Get a gel early on run or in transition - I find there's enough going on in transition I like to eat a gel just prior to coming in off the bike, assuming it's safe, in the last mile or so. This eliminate one more moving part from the transition.

Run - If you don't take the mile 7 gel there will be a gap of 5 miles with only GE. 4oz GE = 30 calories 8 = 60 calories. If you are still running 10' 45" that's around 5.6 miles/hour so that would give you 150 - 300 calories from 5 aid stations.

• Options

@Josh Church thanks for the intel on shoes on the bike and the distance of the run to T1. Yes, I will preload Saturday primarily with Gatorade Endurance. Also, two salt pills right before the swim to avoid calf and foot cramping. I'll write that in. And yes, I need to watch the cap on the hills on the bike. Will do.

@Gordon Cherwoniak - great idea to eat that gel on the bike. Thank you. I'll also take a look at my run nutrition plan to make sure it is 250-300 calories per hour, on the high side the first two+ hours when it is hot and I still feel like eating.

• Options

Love your self-talk @Scott Liston ! Your fitness and plan are solid! Focus on execution, and especially to manage the HEAT! ... good luck!