Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Elizabeth Robb Official Coaches Thread [TeamEN]

edited July 22, 2019 12:53AM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here is where Coach Patrick will put your suggests plans to download once he has processed your triathlon season roadmap and where you will be able to communicate with him about your coaching.

Comments

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb I’m going to move this to the New Members Forum so we can get started. Looking forward to your races!!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb Aka Betsy...Doing the Placid 70.3, her first one.

Call Notes...

• Swam in HS...needs OWS Practice
    • Rowed in college....Must ask if port or starboard 🤣
    • Bad knees, about a 10-minute miler...runners knee...some leg exercises to do (runners knee)
    • Not much of a biker.
    • 2018, did some tris and got plantar fasciitis.
    • Running a biking a bit; can run/walk five miles.
    • Looking to finish the 70.3™
    • Joined Tri Team Wheelworks...Has a group to workout with.

Resources:

• Here is the 2018 (old) Athlete Guide for Placid 70.3, but a good proxy for basic information (download PDF here)
    • Kenesiotaping that knee...this application works well for me:

Training Plans to Placid 70.3 (follow the Level 1 workouts!)

• On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/22/2019
    • On 9/23/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/20/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2019 8:23PM

Betsy, Nice work logging your first workouts in Final Surge. It looks like your accounts are all sync'd up.  I'm here to make this season with Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible. Let me know if I can help. You can set up a call with me (https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/) if you have any questions or reply to this thread. Talk to you soon. Matt - EN Training Plan Coordinator

@Elizabeth Robb

• Options
    edited June 25, 2019 1:12AM

Betsy, Great work on your run test. Nice pacing, it is always good to see the pace increase towards the end. As you start to track your training in Final Surge. You might be interested in the Final Surge App. This might make it easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc. Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your race at Lake Placid.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

A free online training log for athletes of all types including runners, triathletes, cyclists, swimmers and their coaches. Great for teams and clubs. Find coaches and training plans online!

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your race at Placid.

Check out the short video.

• Options

Betsy, Great to talk with you this afternoon.

Your plan is updated with your Heart Zones in all your bike and run workouts. You are all set!

You can manually change those zones on your watch using the Garmin connect App. Choice the device -> User Settings (Scroll down) -> Configure Heart Rate Zones. Then back out and sync your watch. Also seen on this video. Starting at the 2 minute mark.

Hit me up here or schedule another call. Talk to you soon.

• Options

Betsy, You have sweat test this weekend. It is an important part of your training and racing to know how much you sweat under what conditions. So documenting weather and your sweat loss will give you a baseline to start with.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/SweatTrialInstructions.aspx

Here is a post from our Team forums from a guy doing his sweat test for the first time. His questions (and the answers he gets back from the rest of the team) might be helpful for you too.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/15392/sweat-test-question

• Options

Woods hole! What a beautiful location to run.

You have a challenge ride scheduled for this weekend. Here is some additional guidance from Coach P.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/ENFULLPlanResources/BigDayGuidance.aspx

Also, you can get emails when this thread is updated by clicking on the "star" and putting a check in the box - just to the right of the title thread.

Double Bonus:

You can keep up with the rest of the team on training and racing here at EN Facebook live. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ENLIVE/

• Options

Betsy, Good work on your second bike HR test! You have a good consistent pattern developing. How did you feel so far?

As a follow up to your season plan with Coach Patrick and our phone call. What will make you consider this season a success? What's your biggest limiter right now?

• Options

Hi Matt, Thanks! Sorry I haven't logged in a good long time - I forgot about this thread!

I think my biggest limits to date have been fitting in the long bike rides on the weekend and finding somewhere to swim. I tend to put workouts off until the afternoon and am trying to start a morning workout routine - it's tough! I've signed up for the Charles Rivers Masters swim team and am going to try to start going to morning workouts on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings for an hour. And, I'm just going to have to wake up early on weekends and do my long rides. Getting a solid workout routine that I can keep going into the fall and 2020 will make this season a success.

• Options

And thank you for your help with the watch - it was extremely helpful and I was able to update my zones!

• Options

Betsy, Glad I could help with the watch and the zones.

Nice job identifying your limiters and taking action! Those incremental decisions towards accomplishing your goal- like committing to finding a Master's swim group is a fantastic and positive first step to tackling your swim.

You can do something similar for your bike limiter too. Ask your local bike shop, cycling or tri club for recommended routes. Cyclists love to share their routes. Give them an idea of how far (time or distance) that you want to go and I bet they will be happy to give you some ideas on low traffic and good roads.

On the getting started in the morning, try getting your biking/run/swim stuff together the night before. Clothes, shoes, glasses, glasses, nutrition, make the hydration bottles, suit, googles - having all that stuff ready makes it easier to get out the door earlier. Taking the 20 mintues to get organized the night before, seems to save hours the next day in getting started! Combine that with a route or your Master's program and boom - you are out the door a bit earlier and start to develop some good habits as part of your workout routine.

Side note/follow-up on the Master's - as a prior swimmer you know this but as a reminder - the Master's folks will divide up into lanes based on pace and they might have a day that does strokes other than freestyle. My Master's program rotates coaches on the deck so each workout has a different flavor so be prepared to experiment a bit.

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!). 

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? 
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out. 

You have several options: 

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

Betsy, nice work on your negative split run this weekend. How was your experience with the Master's swim group? Find any new bike routes?

It has be a fast 30 days as a new member. You are well on your way for Placid and developing some good habits for the fall. You will soon graduate out of this new member forum and this entire coach thread will move into the Coaching Forum. Same thread, just a different place. If you have question for me just tag me at @matt limbert. I'll get an email notification and get back with you.

Take advantage of the check-in call with Coach Patrick https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We want to hear about your experience.

Over the next few weeks spend some time with these videos:

https://log.finalsurge.com/Resources.cshtml?key=161b388f-f704-4a60-9ac2-8829f1d74160

You have a Race Rehearsal coming up in two weeks August 2. Watch all the videos, but check out Video 7 for guidance on the race rehearsal, along with doing some homework on good race execution:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution%2c+Half+Ironman

• Options

Hi Matt, Thanks for checking in. So far my experience with the masters swim group has been minimal - I've gone once and plan on going tomorrow night. I've been struggling trying to figure out when to do what workouts. If you haven't noticed, so far I've been doing one workout each day - still figuring out the schedule. Now I'm thinking it will be easier for me to run or bike in the morning and swim in the afternoon.

I did the Falmouth Triathlon 2 weeks ago - overall I was happy with my time of 1:18 but I came in 19 out of 20 in my age group and knees have been hurting me since. I've been icing them and used KT tape on my run yesterday, which really helped. Back to the triathlon - I did ok on the swim (9 out of 20) but 10 people passed me on the bike. I'm not so disappointed about that but I think it's a good indicator I really need to bike more. I've also scheduled a fitting at the bike shop and am going to get them to put aerobars and simple computer on my bike. I've talked to the guys at the shop and they've given me a few routes to try out - I just need to try them out.

• Options

@Brenda Ross

• Swim Fitness:  2
    • Bike Fitness: 1
    • Run Fitness: 1.5 ( I enjoy running long distance but my knees hurt)
    • Weight / Body Composition: 30 %
    • What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? I've been able to increase my running mileage and was happy to complete a sprint triathlon 2 weeks ago.
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?  Encouragement to go biking more. Advise on biking, running, swimming. Encouragement to use the resources on EN.
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Absolutely, yes.

• Options

@Brenda Ross I answered the weight/body composition question wrong - it's 2.4

• Options

Betsy, congratulations on the Falmouth Triathlon. I'm glad to hear the KT tape has helped with your knees and that you were able to increase your running mileage a bit. You have been getting a lot of quality runs in. Your long run of 8 miles and negative split effort is coming alot nicely. Keep it up! We need to build up that long ride just like you have done with the run.

Keep experimenting with your schedule. You will find the pattern that works best for you. Great work getting a bit fit and developing that relationship with your local bike shop, Master's group, Tri group and the EN forums. All those folks are part of Team Robb, make it easier to find the time and offer encouragement. You can start your own Forum thread - Ask folks for advice on Placid 70.3. Their are a ton of members that have done the course and could offer advice on logistics. Especially, after this weekend with a lot of members doing Ironman Lake Placid.

Remember, over the next few weeks spend some time with these videos:

https://log.finalsurge.com/Resources.cshtml?key=161b388f-f704-4a60-9ac2-8829f1d74160

You have a Race Rehearsal coming up in two weeks August 2. Watch all the videos, but check out Video 7 for guidance on the race rehearsal, along with doing some homework on good race execution:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution%2c+Half+Ironman

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb hey there. It’s Coach Patrick, and I wanted to take a second and welcome you to our member coaching forum. Sounds like you’ve had a fantastic first 30 days on the team and that you’ve done a lot of good work. As you transition to becoming a full-time member, I am committed to helping you on your journey. As Matt mentioned above, please feel free to set up a call with me so we can get on the same page. In the meantime, I am here to answer any questions you might have. Just Fire away. I look forward to working with you!

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella. 

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal. 
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space. 
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point. 
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track. 
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change. 
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over. 

Key components of your final push should include: 

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary. 
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know! 

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season. 

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

@Brenda Ross Hi Brenda, I scheduled a meeting with Coach Patrick for Aug 15, but I didn't hear from him so I've rescheduled the meeting for this Thursday, Aug 29. I just want to let you know so I don't get charged for it....

• Options

@matt limbert Hi Matt, My knees have been hurting me for the past few weeks and I haven't been working out for the past 10 days since I'm feeling so discouraged. I've been icing my them, putting icy hot on them, have gone to acupuncture a couple times and they're still bugging me. I should have continued biking and swimming but I'm bummed because running is my favorite part. NOT an excuse - I intend to start it back up tomorrow on the bike and swimming later this week when the pool opens again.

Anyways...I have an Olympic triathlon next weekend that I'm confident I can manage the bike and will see how it goes with the run. A couple weeks later I have the Lake Placid 70.3 and right now I'm not thinking my knees will be able to handle 13 miles. I'm planning on still doing the swim and bike for the experience but not the run. I haven't biked a full 56 miles yet this summer and have hardly done any hills - and it looks like LP has a ton of them. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb Hi Betsy, Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your knees. Knee injuries can be so frustrating - especially for folks that like to get a good run in. Let's start by re-framing these last 10 days as a rest period and then think about the best way to incorporate the Olympic next week into your HIM plan (70.3 LP Sept 8) and your long term development as athlete.

Long term, we need to get to the root cause of your knee pain. Short term, you are on the right track. Aquabike is a great option, for either race. You can protect your knees and give them a bit a rest. You have done some good work on the swim and bike so far, and like you said you will get some good experience for pacing the HIM distance on the bike after swimming. Coach Patrick will weigh in and have some more detailed ideas too.

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb Hey it’s Coach Patrick here. So sorry about that missed phone call I’m not sure how the day was open as I had blocked it off for a training session. Since I was on my bike, I had the do not disturb feature on so I had no idea there was an appointment or anything like that. I hate when that happens, my apologies.

As Matt mentioned, dealing with that and the pain is a top priority. We need to know if there’s anything in particular doing it like the run or the bike or if just to return to activity is an issue. Have you had this type of knee pain before? If you have, it will be good to know how you managed it. Was there a specific instance where the pain started up? Or was it just a gradual onset?

Even if the Alco bike is your final outcome for Lake Placid, we need to make sure you’re doing the longer rides. You have two more weekends to get decent riding in, and I would plan on riding on both Saturday and Sunday giving yourself Monday off to recover. The Saturday sessions would be in the 3 1/2 to 4 hour range at a steady intensity. The Sunday rides could be 90 minutes to 2 hours and should build from easy to a temple effort in the last 20 to 30 minutes of your ride. Let me know if you need me to adjust your training plan to reflect that.

Lake Placid does have some good hills but we don’t raise them specifically. Climbing hills been sitting up keeping your hands loose and sliding backwards slightly under saddle. The goal will be to keep your cadence up and make sure your heart rate does not spike. The most important part of this process is making sure you have the right to years on your rear cassette. Do you know what you’re gearing is? If you don’t, with your bike see Philip standing up you can kneel down on the other side of the cassette by your rear wheel and count the keith around in a circle of the biggest ring that’s on the furthest inside. Then you can switch to the other side and count the teeth on the smallest ring in your rear cassette. Those two numbers will form a ratio that will let me know how friendly your cassette will be for the hills in Lake Placid.

I also sent you an email and can talk later this week while I’m on the road in Chattanooga if that works for you, so please follow the instructions there.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert Hi Both, I'm sorry it's been forever since I logged in (and actually worked out)! I was discouraged mid-August and pretty much stopped working out. I'm going to take a break from EN for a month or so until I can get myself back on track with simple workouts - but I'll be back! I've been looking at races to sign up for to start working toward again!

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb Deal! We are ready to help you when you’re ready to rock!