Home Races & Places 🏁⛺

Sheila Leard IMLOU Race Plan

edited October 3, 2019 10:05PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

My “why”. Because I can. I’m three months out from aging up to 65-69 AG so why wouldn’t I wait to be more competitive in my AG? Because I simply love triathlon and racing. I also needed a reason to get me thru hours of PT. The x-rays of my spine were a little scary so I may not be able to do this distance much longer. So, while I can – I will. This will be my 10th IM.

I did IMLOU in 2015 and I like the venue. The swim may or may not have a current, the bike is rolling hills and the run is flat.

My plan is simple.

Swim. Based on fitness I should be 85 min +/- 5 minutes

Right now, the water temp is 78. I’m not a powerful swimmer so I’m hoping for the drop in temp so I can a wear a sleeveless wetsuit. I’m breaking the swim into thirds. 1, Swim up stream and around the island 2, swim to first bridge with lots of sighting (course gets wide here) 3, swim to stairs and exit on far right because everyone else exits to the left.

Bike – rolling 5400 ft gain. Based on fitness I should be around 6:35 +/- 10 minutes

It will be a chilly start so I’m planning on disposable arm warmers, gloves and a strip of bubble wrap under my jersey. Hopefully warm enough to toss at first aid station. I know what my zone 2 watts are, but I will primarily race by RPE and HR. I love training with data but when it’s race time I prefer to be intuitive. The hills come in a cluster. Nothing really long just a few punchy ones that need a small chain and patience. The 30 miles back to town will have a head wind. This section I will use watts to keep from pushing too hard.

Nutrition on bike: Calories 200/hr.

Starting out with two bottles of NBS and a scoop of Cluster Dextrin in each = 250 calories. My fluid rate of absorption is around 25 oz/hr. When I am finished with these two bottles, I will go to course water and pop a NUUN tablets into my aero bottle. Fuel will be 2 Lara Bars, Pickey Bar and Honey Stinger Chews. I will have on board Salt Stick capsules and TUMS if needed. At mile 80 I will take #2 First Endurance pre-race capsules. These are like Red Bull in a capsule!

Run – WAG, (wild ass guess) on time. I have a stretch goal that only our Coach will know about.

At week 14, I sprained my ankle and lost run training. Then I was told I have a hypermobile SI joint and some osteoarthritis in my spine. Running hurts. I’ve been able to get some weekly miles in averaging 25-28/week. To not fire up my bad ankle I started training with 10 min run, 1 min walk. I like the precision of it and more importantly it keeps my brain working. An old EN podcast talked about mental matches. IM is a long day and we only so many mental matches. Rather than zone out and focus on pain I will focus on doing math and executing impeccable form. It’s three loops. Loop one – RPE of a marathon. Two – RPE of a half marathon. Three – RPE of a 10k. I will be watching average pace to meet my stretch goal. 😏

Nutrition on Run: 100-150 cal/hr.

The aid stations distract me. So, I will buzz thru those for water, GE, Red Bull and walk on my own interval. On board I will have Salt Stick capsules, mint Tic-tac’s and mint flavored TUMS if needed. Calories will come from chews and if I take a gel, it will only be half of one to avoid a bolus of sugar hitting my gut. At mile 10, 15 and 20, I will take #2 pre-race caps. Two caps = 60 mg caffeine. Plenty to keep my mental matches fired up.

Two more notes.

1. IMLOU is doing an AWA Challenge. First time WTC has done this. They are giving out one Kona slot per AG among the AWA athletes. We’ll see how this plays out at the roll down.
  2. Team mate @Gary Lewis inspired me to be a part of the Memories of Honor Program. I am dedicating my race to Chief Warrant Officer Ryan Connolly who perished last year in a Helicopter training accident. I will send my Finishers Medal to his wife and two sons. He will be in my back pocket all day. 💜

Tagged:

Comments

• have a great one. will be following.

personally i always wear a fully sleeved wetsuit if wetsuits are legal. is faster. some folks have concerns about overheating but not an issue for me at least.

• @Sheila Leard I always like reading the race reports of experienced ENers with so many IMs under their belts. Everything just looks dialed-in and you've got the experience to know to how to adjust when needed. It's great you are a part of the Memories of Honor Program, that's quite a "why" to have when things get tough!

I hope the AWA results go your way, good skills for the day!

• Well thought out plan! You have the IM experience to execute a smart race and adjust based on what the day gives you. I think the run/walk plan will work out great. That's how I trained for my first two marathons and really liked the brief mental and physical breaks. Late in the run resist the urge to extend the walk intervals or shorten the run intervals (unless your ankle is in pain). It might be helpfully to set alarms on your watch to keep you on track in the later miles. I know I can't do math after mile 15. 😂 The latest Garmin watches have a run/walk interval feature.

I'm looking forward to tracking and cheering for you. Have a great race!

• @Sheila Leard I had a bike crash going in to Lake Placid 2017 and lost a couple weeks of pretty big training miles for bike and some run. Given your long standing IM racing and the mileage you did get it you race should be fine.

The lower training just gives you a smaller margin for error. I backed off the bike just slightly and also avoiding pushing the run until the very end, my line was at mile 20+. Just make sure you have an honest assessment of the RPE at the start of the marathon and particularly when you ramp up to the 1/2 marathon and then a 10K.

Have a great Race

• @Sheila Leard As we've both been integrating significant strategic walking into our training and racing plans (rather than just the usual "walk while drinking in the aid station"), it will be ingteresting to see how it pans out on the day.

I will be incorporating your thoughts into my event the day before: "I like the precision of it [run 10 min/walk 1 min] and more importantly it keeps my brain working. An old EN podcast talked about mental matches. IM is a long day and we [have] only so many mental matches."

Do it while you can...

• @robin sarner The water temp just dropped to 76. I'm with you, I will wear a full and won't overheat. The air temp will be 47 and I will get too cold waiting for the start if I don't keep core warm. I may sip on hot broth while waiting around.

@Jeff Phillips I really believe the lure of repeat Ironmans is the fascination of getting it right on THAT day. It's Hotel California ... you can check out, but you never leave. 🎵

@Derrek Sanks You must be a mind reader 😇 I thought about the challenge of the late miles and not caving. The last time I did a 3 loop IM run was Vineman in 2012. It has it's challenges because you're so close to the finish line but still have work to do. The the third loop is the longest as adds an extra mile to the finish line. I'll get my third wrist band and keep digging.

@Al Truscott I'm very curious how this run/walk will go. You are part of why I decided to try it. Our former Coach Rich talked about mental matches and it just hit a cord with me. Lou will broadcast Kona on a big screen on Saturday and while we set up in transition. I hope to channel your aloha. 🌸

• @Sheila Leard I'm glad you are participating in MOH for the race. It makes for a rewarding race and I hope to see others do it as well. I'll be cheering for you on race day. Race well.

• @Sheila Leard dont forget the toe covers for bike shoes, if your a freeze baby like me, I like to put a hand warmer in each shoe prior to swim, I'll also put a hand warmer in each of the back pockets of the shirt I will put on in T1. Good Skill!

• @Sheila Leard last year I used a running beanie (the one they sell at the IM village) during the bike and that saved my day.

Also I remember the transitions were very long so take your time.

Good luck