Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Rich Stanbaugh IMLou Race Plan

This race began for me in February when I wrote the race report for the race I wanted in October. From that, I built a plan to achieve it. Now it is October, time to test it.

• Swim: Threshold ≈ 1:35/100m
  • Bike: FTP 295w / VO2 65mL/min/kg
  • Run: CP 293w / Threshold pace: 7:10/mi / VO2 57mL/min/kg
  • Weight: ≈146# (down 27# since my post-surgery high in January)
  • CTL peaked at 129 leading into Traverse City 70.3. TC was more disrupting that I had planned but managed to get CTL back to 127 last week. Not really worried - fitness is good.

Stupid things that happen:

After TC, I accidentally folded an orthotic that I was putting in my shoe then proceeded to run on it for a week. This led to a lot of foot pain andabout 10 days of not running / barely running, a couple injections in my foot/ankle and a return to PT. Everything feels fine and I have been running again for a couple weeks, but my run volume is lower than I anticipated and I didn’t get the long runs I would have hoped to get. The longest runs of the entire build are 15 miles; once in late August, once last week.

Wednesday

• Travel day
  • Run

Thursday

• Scout bike course / Bike shake out – drive out and ride one loop
  • Scout new run course
  • Register

Friday

• Short run
  • Charge all batteries (watch / bike computer / Di2)
  • Athlete Briefing
  • Scout swim start / exit / transition
  • Hydrate / Carbo loading

Saturday

• Official Swim Practice (going to get that wetsuit wet again)
  • Big breakfast
  • Bike and Bags drop off
  • Walk/visualize transition again
  • Hydrate
  • Organize gear for transition / morning
  • Set wake up alarm: 3:45
  • Set Transition Open alarm: 5:15

Sunday

• Alarm 3:45
  • Breakfast (below)
  • Get dressed
  • Body marking
  • Setup Transition (everything on bike / run stuff in zip-loc bag on top of shoes)
  • Snack
  • 7:30 Race!

Swim Plan – should be 1:10 or better – depends on river / execution

• ** Water is still not wetsuit – should be by race day 
  • Seed myself around 1:05
  • Be in the right-side line at the dock, regardless of how short the left-side line gets
  • Go off right Dock and get to the right as soon as possible
  • Make certain not to repeat TC debacle
    • Stay to the right / out of traffic
    • Give myself a 300-400 meters on right, out of contact, steady pace to acclimate and be confident that everything is working
    • Do whatever it takes to get it under control from the start
  • Don’t push the first 400 yards, just steady; IMLOU’s swim format eliminates the need for that tactic
  • Stay right up the channel; everyone else will go left
  • Keep the turnover fast upstream
  • Good balance / high-elbow catches / Just like the Vasa
  • Site frequently and use current on downstream
  • Finish strong
  • Just stay balanced and get it done.

T1

• Use wetsuit strippers
  • On a good weather day, I want sub 5:00 transition. On bad weather day, I will do what is needed to prepare to be warm on the bike
  • RUN!
  • Mount bike next to fence

Bike Plan - Pnorm 210 for 5:00 – 5:10 ride time (wind will matter).

• Clothing TBD based on weather. Have seen everything from super cold and wet to cool and dry to???. I am bringing everything and will deal with it when packing the bags. I don’t like being cold, so will dress to be warm.
  • 0-20 mi: Ease into it, super aero & steady, getting calories and fluids in, driving HR down into 140s
  • Steady on the hills:
    • 225w up to 22%
    • 240w up to 4%
    • 270w on steep hills 
  • HR should be ≈155bpm on the loops, pushing to 160+ on steep climbs but afterwards back to ≈155bpm
  • Last 30mi are net downhill, plan is to keep speed and stay super aero, but use the downhills to drop power to 190ish. Currently looks like the entire return trip may be a stiff headwind. If that is the case, probably need to keep power steady.
  • Most important - HR has to come down during this last 30 mi. Ideally, get it close to 150 and let it remain steady at that level for as long as possible during last 30mi (still some climbing in this section, but otherwise low)

T2  

• On a good weather day, I want sub 5:00 transition. On bad weather day, I will do what is needed to prepare for the run
  • Put on shoes and socks, everything else in Ziploc back
  • (Put on warm clothes as needed)
  • Grab go-bag and go
  • Start eating banana

Run Plan – ??? I need to run 3:40ish. Let’s see. 

• Get the Calories in during first 6 miles!
  • Gel at 2 mi, 5 mi & 8 mi
  • Get Established Running
  • 225-230w
  • HR settle – would love to see 14x… but more likely 150-152
  • Get cadence up to ≥ 174spm
  • Run Steady
    • Primary: HR ≈155bpm, keep below 160bpm as long as possible (18mi?)
    • Primary: Cadence ≈175 spm – use arm swing to drive turnover
    • Secondary: Power 250-260w – cap hills below 280
    • Secondary: Pace 8:15ish / mi
    • Power / Pace are not used as a whip until maybe last 8 miles
    • GE at every aid station as long as tolerable, then alternate water
    • Gel at 2 mi, 4 mi & 6mi – can substitute banana if available
  • Nutrition
    • Walk a couple steps to make sure that hydration goes in mouth
    • Hold coke & broth until second half
    • Focus and finish
  • Get the 3-Loop Lap Band system right!
  • 18 - Finish
    • Keep HR and cadence high –
    • Going slow hurts just as bad and the hurt lasts longer…

T3

• Get a Beer!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

What about Mike & Ikes and Moon Pies?

Your fitness right now is right where you want it to be and the weather forecast looks to be ideal. Only thing that remains is to execute and that's 100% in your control. WIll be cheering along.

• Options

Planned , prepared, data driven like an engineer 😀 You spent the better part of the last year on that data, not too mention making me work my data. Now it’s time to race, use the data, but do not let it limit you. Ease into your day as planned, have a continuous honest conversation with yourself , how do I feel vs. the data?, what do I need vs how do I feel? Good confidence and Skill!

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh

Such a great well thought out plan. I might catch a fleeting glimpse of you on your third lap of the run; my first. I am thrilled to be racing on the course with you.

The 48 degree start will have its challenging moments but the run weather should be spectacular. 🙏

See you in Lou.

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh Hay's in the barn, physically, mentally, emotionally - don't change anything, starting with your mental attitude. You are in avery good place.

Concerning the run, two advisories:

• There are so many examples of people who have had an experience similar to yours in the last 3-6 weeks before an IM, training interrupted for a week or two, engendering a feeling that "I'm just not ready for what I want to do." Drop that. Just one or two examples include Jeremy B ?last year in Lake Placid; and me in 2011 @ Arizona. It's amazing what a judicious dollop of rest will do for one's run in an IM marathon.

• I would erase any reference to total time in your race plan. Much better to have only those detailed process goals you list in mind, and let the day determine your time. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Options

@Jeremy - Mike & Ike's are for the drive down - already bought them!

@Sheila Leard / @Shaughn Simmons - thank you!

@tim cronk / @Al Truscott - I've been thinking a lot about the run.my running is so much different this year (because I am healthy) that I don't really have any good references for how to run this race (in terms of the numbers that I love so much). I don't think I can legitimately write a plan that says I am going to run 155bpm HR. So, here is what I am going to do:

• I'm going to start running just like I mentioned above, then I am going to find a level of effort that feels right and go with it.
    • While running that "feels right" effort, I am going to keep asking myself the @Al Truscott question: "Do I think I can maintain this level of effort until the end of the race?" If the answer is yes, then I'll keep running like that and fight the fade. If the answer is no, I will adjust.
    • I'll still use cadence to keep my form good, and power / pace to keep from being stupid and for objective feedback, but otherwise, I am just going to run. This is more or less what I did at Traverse City and it worked and it is more or less how I have done all my tempo runs this year.
  • Options

have a great one.

got you loaded in the tracker.

what the others say about the run. fresh legs to work it. work it good.

• Options

First off I am looking at your numbers and I’m like “where’s the rich Stanbaugh of yesteryear? Just wow what your consistent hard work has built and I had a glimpse of it from way behind in blue ridge.

I've done this race 2x, once in August and once in October. Swim start won’t have the width in the up current channel behind the island. Think more like 50 yards wide. It’s not crowded due to the start system. I don’t know your swim times, but I swim a 1:55/100m and I swam that course in 1:04. So I expect you to go under an hour. It’s likely about 6-7 mins faster than placid which was 6’ faster than WI for me.

Bike course is a lot of downs then ups, uou may want to read pail Curtin’s RR from 2017, or call him! 270 seems aggressive.

Depending on wind direction, your bike split is made in the last 30 miles, in other words, your time will seem slow until you make the 2nd left by the convenience store at the back corner of the course, unless you have the 20mph headwind we had in 17.

if Yu are really running those numbers this will be an awesome run for you. The run has a few very small undulations to help with variability if pace, overall it’s a grind. Can’t wait to watch this unfold! Good luck and be smart out there!!

what is the “3 loop lap band system”?

• Options

Well thought out race plan! Sounds like this race is a year in the making and now it's time to honor your "training-self" with a well and smartly executed race pushing to the edge of the line but careful not to push past it. Looking forward watching you have a great race via the tracker.

• Options

Thanks for the support!

@scott dinhofer here is info about the 3-loop band system... something new.

• Options

Great plan @Rich Stanbaugh Your fitness and nimbers look really good. Only thing I would warn you is to not run the uphills super hard I can't wait to follow you. Have a great race!

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh - that is a completely diff run course than the old out / back, looking at this map and trying to figure it out is dizzying! guess you get to see Anna a few times!!!

will be tracking and sending you good juju!