Home Races & Places 🏁⛺

Dave's 2019 IM Louisville Race Plan

edited October 10, 2019 9:52AM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

Basic Info:

This will be my second IM of the season. I've never raced two like this so it will be interesting to see how this goes. As such I have no time goals aside from finishing and improving my run from Lake Placid.

40 year old married father of 2 girls (10, 6) and 2 dogs. The family and my parents will be out there for support at this race.

I was born and raised in Lexington, KY, so this will be a homecoming of sorts. I’ve never raced any type of race in my home state (adult-onset-athlete).

2nd Full IM this year - finished IMLP earlier this summer - ~13:42 (first time racing two IM’s in a season)

3-time IMWI starter, 2-time finisher (bike crash at the 2nd, not allowed to continue): both 12:50 or so.

10-time finisher at 70.3 distance – average finish ~5:45

6’-0” 180 lb

IMLou Race Goals:

-         Execute my race plan as best I can

-         Run between aid stations

-         Have fun!

Swim:   Just get through it. I’m an average swimmer; IMLP was a PR swim time at 1:13. I figure my time in Louisville will be somewhere between 1:15-1:20. Plan is to increase my stroke rate at the beginning until past the island and around the turn buoy. Then long and strong on the long straight-away back to the finish.

Bike:     My bike plan is to take it easy for a majority of the ride – JRA. Focus on getting in my nutrition, especially with the chilly temps at the start. My goal is 2 bottles per hour, which is my cool end based on a sweat test. I’ve been using Crank Sports’ E-Fuel in training since IMLP, so I plan to use 4 bottles of that to start, then GE to special needs. Then 4 more bottles of E-fuel and GE to finish. I’ll have saltsticks and shot bloks on board, too. I have a target TSS of 265 for the ride to set up a better run than LP. Planning to ride conservative until the turn back on to Rt 42 at mile 80 to try and set up a strong “TT to town” those last 30 miles, but I’ll have to be smart with the forecasted 10mph SSW headwind.

Run:      Planning on a better run in Louisville than LP – a better bike plus the reduction in hills and heat and better pacing should help. I plan to use the laps to help pace the run – I’ll start at a lower power than planned in LP, then evaluate at each lap as to whether I can hold on or increase the power. I’ll be walking aid stations and drinking water. I’ve revised my run nutrition strategy, as well, using Crank Sports’ E-gel every three miles coupled with a saltstick. The plan is to stick to that strategy until mile 15 or so, then sub in coke/pretzels/cookies/whatever-sounds-good on the last lap.

Transitions:

I plan to take my time at this race in an attempt to be comfortable. I don’t want to get on the bike wet in 50-degree temperatures, so I will change out of wet clothes into my EN kit in T1. Disposable arm-warmers and gloves and two-pair of socks were also practiced this past weekend in very similar conditions. Toe covers optional. My extremities are my weakness in the cold. I’m also going to use a plastic garbage bag under my jersey to keep warm at the beginning (also practiced in training).

I may change into running shorts in T2, depending on how I feel. Then I have a disposable long-sleeve tech shirt in special needs in case it cools off after dark

Tentative schedule:

Thursday:           Leave Chicago suburbs. Arrive in Louisville area late afternoon or early evening – staying at state park campground on the Indiana side.

Friday:                 Bike course recon ride in AM, race check-in PM

Saturday:            Practice swim – maybe? I'm comfortable in open water, but haven't raced in a river, so it might be a good idea.  Just don't want any complications before the race starts. Iron Kids Run with my 6-year-old. 😊 Big breakfast/brunch afterwards, snacks, drop bags & bike, snacks, relax with family, pack SN bags, charge devices, snacks, light dinner, bed

Nutrition:           Race breakfast: First Endurance Ultragen (2 scoops = 320 cal)

First Endurance EFS Liquid shot (1 flask = 400 cal)

8 oz can Red Bull (100 cal)

Total Breakfast 820 cal

Sip on Tailwind or GE before race start

2 Clif Shot gels (no caffeine) around 715am (200 cal)

Bike:     ~420 cal/hr from E-fuel and GE

3 shot bloks at 2:00 and 4:00

2 saltstick per hour

~1200 mg salt per hour

Fun-size M&M’s and (3) pre-race capsules at BSN

Run:      E-gel every three miles ~300 cal/hour

1 saltstick every three miles ~890 mg salt total per hour

Fun-size M&M’s and (3) pre-race capsules at RSN

Tagged:

Comments

• @Dave Mehl

This is a well thought plan which will help you execute a great race. I raced Louisville three times including last year in frigid conditions and it's a fun race. I race IMWI this September and i think IMLOU is a bit faster thanks to the current and the less hilly bike course.

I broke down the swim in three thirds, the hardest is going upstream behind the island, then with the current you go fast. I recall the current being stronger closer to the buoys. When you hit the first bridge on the way back that's about the second third, and then it's straight to the exit swim. I would recommend you swim on Saturday (don't forget your chip, it's required to get to the swim practice) to get used to the Ohio river which does not look super appealing from the shore (was always choppy each of my three years).

Everybody will be flying next to you at the start of the bike as it's flat for about 6-7 miles before hitting the first hill but if you stick to your plan you'll be fine. I remember the course having mostly rollers, good pavement and being overall relatively fast (faster than Wisconsin for sure). The weather forecast shows a sunny 45-69F for the day so arm warmers, gloves and shoe covers will help. My first two IMLOU we had the same type of weather and i did not change clothes and i don't remember being cold (at least not for more than an hour). It is often windy on the way back (which you've noted in your plan) so keep some extra energy, lots of folks will slow down a lot there.

The new run course may be less flat than before but at least you should have more crowd support next to the river. And the finish line is one of the best on the Ironman circuit, i know that when it got tough last year i remembered this wild crazy E. 4th street and it help carry me to the finish line.

If you stick to your plan, stay in your box you will have a strong race and a great day especially with your family cheering for you. All the best for Sunday!

• Solid race plan. I thought the IMLOU bike course was fast and fun. There are lots of opportunities to get free speed. Recommend driving and/or riding the loop section. Ride smart and you'll have a great bike. You will swim faster than IMLP. The first 1/3 going up river isn't too bad and I didn't notice until I got around the island and was swimming with the current. The key is to keep the same effort when going downstream though it will feel easier. A 265 TSS will set you up for a solid run! With the fitness in the bank, now it's all about race execution! Have a great race!

• You have a strong plan in place. Good luck in your race.

I raced it last year and it was very cold, gloves and a running beanie (the one they sell at the IM Village) save my day on the bike.

The swim was shortened due to weather conditions but I remember a very long jog out of the water to T1. An easy jog will do the trick, don't follow the sprinters.

The bike felt overall flat. Mostly rolling hills but no tough climbs. There is only a very short climb with a 10% inclination - You will be over it in less than 1 min.

T2 was also very long. Take it easy, don't rush it.

• Thanks @Vincent Sivirine @Derrek Sanks @Jorge Duque For your thoughts. You might have heard (😂) the swim has been cancelled. Transition now opens at 7:30 and the race starts as a time trial bike start at 8:30. AWA athletes first, then everyone else in bib-number order. Glad I’m #559. I’m not planning to change much nutritionally or pacing, other than hoping there’s even more left in the tank at the end of the run. Coach P and others are suggesting a warmup of some kind to replace the swim. So...

5:00 wake-up and have breakfast (same as above)

6:30 drive to Louisville (30 min) and park in garage or lot

7:15 easy 30 min warm-up walk/jog around town in kit + sweats

7:45 finish getting ready at car with warm gear needed for bike

Drink GE or Tailwind; gel or two around 8:30

8:00 arrive at transition - add bottles, computer, etc to bike

8:15-start - light calisthenics to keep warm

Bike: stick to original plan

Run: stick to original plan at start, use swim energy to finish strong at the end.