Home General Training Discussions
Options

Wearable Devices - Garmin Forerunner VS Apple Watch

I apologize in advance for the multiple discussion topics to come, but the feedback from the EN community is spot on and unbelievably helpful when none of your friends speak "triathlon." =)

So, when it comes to wearable devices - which device better for triathlon training (140.6) Garmin Forerunner 935 or an Apple Watch Series 4? And why? Any feedback on compadability with Final Surge, Strava, Training peaks, GPS and HR tracking is appreciated!

Thank you in advance for the feedback (if this is already a thread please let me know - but I didn't see one when I searched)!

-Matthew

Comments

• Options
    edited April 15, 2019 1:23AM

@Matthew Goto It really depends on what you want the device to do.

I use a Garmin 935 for running training and run racing. I use run power, run pace, and heart rate as metrics for run training and run racing.

I could use the 935 for swimming, but I have and use a dedicated Garmin swim watch.

I could also use the 935 for bike power and bike heart rate (with a heart rate strap) etc to display bike metrics, but I use a bike stand alone Garmin 820. I used to use a Garmin 510.

I post all my wkos to Garmin Connect, Strava, and WKO4.

• Options

I've had the Garmin Fenix (same as the 935 firmware, just a different outside) for years. I do not have an Apple watch - my wife does, and she uses it for swimming and running and biking, so my comments are based on that.

IMO, from a serious triathlete's perspective, the Apple Watch is insufficient. While it does have Bluetooth for picking up most modern sensors like power meters and HR, and it has GPS for tracking speed/distance/location, it has relatively limited capability for displaying that info during an activity. And, it does not have ANT+ transmission, which a number of sensors use in addition to BLT.

The Garmin has literally dozens of display options both during and after an activity. So I can look at precisely the data/metric I want. E.g. it is important to me to see the "Lap % FTP" while biking. I can totally customize what the watch is showing me with literally an endless series of screens, each holding up to four data points.

Another factor in Garmin's favor, IMO, is the multitude of built- in sports apps it has. All the activities I commonly do - Swim, Bike, Run, Hike, Trek, Skiing - are there, along with a number I don't do, such as kayaking, stand-up paddle board, golf, etc, etc. The biggest factor for a triathlete would be the Gasrmin's specific Triathlon app. Basically, when using it (after setting up each sport's display screen the way you want them during a race), you just hit the start button at the start of your race, hit lap to start and stop each transition, and it automagically shifts from swim to T1, to Bike to T2, to Run. Then hit the button to stop it, and you've got the whole package without any fiddling.

The watch face is customizable, so I have a Fake Seiko analog around my wrist. I wear the Fenix all day every day, and record over 800 activities a year. I get a number of summaries automatically (most of which I ignore) regarding sleep, steps, stairs, calories, intensity, quality of training, etc., etc. I also get alerts and the first several lines of any texts of notifications my phone receives. I can control my music with it. My wife has to charge her watch every evening. Mine will last 4-7 days *even if* I am working out 2-4 hours a day, and for weeks, were I not to work out at all.

I do not know how easy it is for Apple to connect to analytic services such as Strava, TrainingPeaks, Final Surge, Stryd, Zwift, etc, and their accompanying apps (all of which I use), but with the Garmin, it automatically uploads to the Garmin Connect site, and then shoots out the data to all others as I have prescribed, with no work on my part.

The Apple Watch is sleek and syncs great with the Apple ecosystem. But for someone who is serious about observing and analyzing S/B/R data during and after activities, it's like taking a knife to a gunfight.

• Options

I am also a long time Garmin user. One of my friends is an ADA and she recently got an Apple 4 watch and air pods to use when she is on call. This has literally lightened her load! She did have some finicky things to set up but seems to be good now that she has it configured. For example, I think that she is using the ismoothrunning app because it will upload to Garmin, etc. and the native app does not and she wanted all of her history in Garmin Connect. Apparently, Apple's will work with the health fit app and that uploads to other places (Strava, Training Peaks) but not everywhere that she wanted.

• Options

I have an apple watch series 4. With some playing I have gotten it to upload to Strava, Final Surge, and Training Peaks. I wear my Apple Watch all day and like some of the other features it brings but if I was going to get just a workout specific watch I would probably get a Garmin.

• Options

How does the Apple watch measure Power/watts on the bike?

• Options

It doesn't. Had to get a bike computer for that. @Shaughn Simmons

• Options

When comparing the fitness aspects of the Apple and the Garmin, that might be one other item to note which was mentioned above, the ANT+ capability means connecting to a power meter like Power tap, your smart trainer, or Stryd (for running). Otherwise, plan on buying a second device such as a Bike computer. The Garmin Fenix 5 plus will also hold up to 500 songs or retain a Spotify playlist and connect to your BLT headphones as well......

• Options

@Matthew Goto - I have both. And have used both in training in one form or another. A few key things for me are:

• Garmin screen is always active so quick glances looking for pace, etc. are there. Apple Watch screen goes dark and at times I have to do a double wrist spin to active it to see pace, etc. Really annoying.
    • Connecting to Strava, etc. is a bit of a pain with Apple Watch vs. Garmin.
    • More screen/custom screen data on Garmin.
    • Battery - Garmin lasts for days and days. Apple Watch needs to be charged basically everyday. Nothing worse than starting a WKO and the Apple Watch battery is low and you have to stop and let it charge.

I like the Apple Watch for basic stuff like gym WKO’s to skip songs, get and responded to text messages, etc. But for those days I am focused and serious it is the Garmin for me.

Hope this helps.

~ Stark

• Options

My wife loves her Apple watch. I'm not a fan :)

I consider the Apple watch a fitness watch, great for the basics but not nearly as powerful as a Garmin for "heavy lifting".

Lots of good points above. To that I would add I really like the dual band Bluetooth/ANT+ capabilities. When working out indoors, I'll have my Kickr connected to my laptop or Apple TV via Bluetooth and to my Garmin 935XT via ANT+. Apple TV runs Zwift, my laptop runs TrainerRoad. When done, everything syncs via my watch through Garmin Connect to TP, WKO, Strava. It just makes it easier when every workout goes through my watch.

The Garmin 935 is the best looking Garmin, but looks go to the Apple Watch :)

Tom

• Options

Just snooping around the Forum posts, and saw this thread. Great info here on difference between Garmin and Apple Watch. I currently use an older Apple watch, and am "getting by". But with Black Friday and X-Mas approaching, I'm hoping to upgrade soon. I'm curious:

• Anyone have any experience with the Polar platform (Vantage)? Honestly, the Garmin interface is a little overwhelming for me. There's no questioning that it is a fantastic product. I'm interested in Polar, because the videos & reviews I've seen (ie. DC Rainmaker) make it seem fairly intuitive (for my brain). Problem is I have never met anyone who uses them? I use a Polar H10 HR monitor, but my Apple watch doesn't work well with it. In my mind, biggest setback of the Polar is the lack of music.
    • Speaking of tunes, does anyone use a Garmin watch with Apple AirPods? I am curious if they work well together. I'm retreating into my pain cave for the next several months, and need my tunes to keep my sanity.

Thanks!

Rob