Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Hannaford Half Marathon

It was a perfect day October day in upstate NY to run a half marathon, low 50 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. My plan was to take the race in 3 stages; approximately 4 mile sections. Stage 1 was to run it very conservatively and try to keep my HR in zone or low zone 2 because i did not want to aggravate my calf, which seemed to occur any time i start too quickly. At 4 +/- miles, I was coming off the bike trail to the road and my calf seized up and slowed me to a walk. I quickly got off the course and stretched my calf and hamstring. After walking about a city block my calf was sore but i could put pressure on it and I started to run slowly. It was at this time I started to try my new hydration drink, "Liquid I.V.", which gave me a shot of energy. Miles 4-8 went quick for me .๐Ÿ˜€I was able to kick it into HR zones 3-4. At mile 11, the wheels started to come off, and I gutted out the last couple of miles.

Some positives I took for the race: the new hydration drink, approximately 3 minutes faster than the half marathon in April, not getting sick afterwards and a better understanding of how to react to adversity on the race course.

Overall, it was a successful day! Now Im stretching all my muscles and icing my knee.

Comments

• Options

@George Penn - aside from the sponsors name, what half was this?? location? etc? Mohawk?? something else?

looks like you had a good time and learned a lot!

• Options

Scott- This race is part of the Mohawk Hudson Marathon which is run on a bike trail from Schenectady, NY to Albany, NY. It's mostly down hill and a quad killer. It's my understanding that many people come for the race because it's an ideal course to get entry into the Boston Marathon. In April, there is another local half marathon (again mostly down hill) called the Heldeberg to Hudson Half marathon. The 2019 race sold out, 2500 runners, so the organizer ARE Event Production upped the number to 3500. I plan to do this race...its a nice early in the season race.