Homeโ€บ Coaching Forum ๐Ÿงข
Options

Out Season/and recent health issues

Hi Coach Patrick

Thanks for calling recently. Your support and encouragement means so much to me.

Yes, I had a heart attack Sept 5th, but no damage to my heart muscle. No rhythm disturbances, and the blocked LAD is no longer blocked with 3 new stents. No new chest pain and blood pressure is low. Other health injury is meniscus. Just resting and only walking have just about cured things, I am up to 4.5 miles day walking. I have an MRI November 2nd just to be sure. I will also begin PT on my injured right knee to strengthen surrounding muscles.

I will start out season around the 13 of October. Same week I begin cardiac rehab, No doubt I will have new heart rate thresh holds especially for the run. I will complete 4 full months of out season, If I cannot run at first I will do that part of work out with walking. I Plan to swim in out season 3 days as recommended.

In the winter will mostly cycle indoors with zwift, and join EN zwift group. I do fear coming last at first. Oh well.

As we discussed, My goals are to run IM Penticton in August. Victoria 70.3 in June, and maybe Lava Man in late March. All depends o Out Season. Thus far my Cardiologist and sport med docs are supportive. I will need to pass a full on cardiac stress test after 7-12 weeks of cardiac rehab before I get full clearance to race. If this plan fails, then plan B "18 month Plan".

Many have asked me why not take 6 months off and rest? Or, quit all together?. I fear I could not come back to that much lay off. I love racing and being part of a team,"EN' and @ 68 still have many lessons to learn, adventures lie ahead.

Comments