Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Dave Tallo's Kona 2019 RR: Sub-13 Goal* SMASHED!

edited October 17, 2019 7:06PM in Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ

*revised from original goal of Sub-10, at approximately mile 18.2 of run

Original race plan and goal here. https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/26124/tallo-2019-im-kona-race-plan#latest

Race goal was sub-10, and my time was 10:45. The race was mostly executed to plan, so let's look at the 45 min delta. I think I can put 30 of that to absolute lack of run fitness. I could / should be at a level where I can run a 3:45 on that course, but I'm not / wasn't. (Even when I was wearing flyknit 4%'s!)

Another 10 minutes or so were pacing. I initially thought of this as an execution *error*, but is was more accurately the consequence of making a choice to have a slightly more aggressive bike thank normal. While this yielded me a 5 minute faster bike split, it resulted in a 10-15 minute slower run, particularly during the last 8 miles.

Lastly, a good 5 minutes came of out scenarios like when i looked at the clock at mile 18, realized that I was a solid half-hour off from a sub-10 being a possibility, and decided to stop for a minute. With no real tangible "one thing" at that point, I did this at the next aid station, and so on.

Net takeaways for me:

-A great lesson, and a resonant experience of what happens when I use a slightly higher IF in pursuit of a faster overall race

- despite the difference of goal vs result, I'm still confident I can get to sub-10 on this course (and I know just how bold a statement it is that I can take 30 mins off my run)

-I won't go back to Kona until I have the run to get to the ^above^

-This might be a multiyear, or single-sport, or non IM emphasis approach. Or maybe not.

Thanks all

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Dave - I'm looking at your splits on the IM Mobile App and it appears your fade started at 16 miles into the run. Up to then you were on fire and steady. Still, it was a superhuman performance from where I sit. Congratulations on yet another kick-ass race.

• Options

@Dave Tallo You put it out there, went out and still had one hell of a race. I'm intrigued to see what you come up with and will be following the approach on getting your run to a 3:45 on the Kona course.

I'd be interested to know what the slightly higher IF was over previous years and the TSS comparison as well.

• Options

@Dave Tallo You're a baller. You went and rolled the dice and while it didn't work out, you were in the game. Super hard year fro me. I did more work than 2018 when I was 9:31....so part of that "time" you seek is just being there on the right day. Happy to crack that run code with you sometime!

Ps thanks for the hotel room post race!!! ๐Ÿ‘

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 2:36AM

@Dave Tallo - Congratulations on a great race. I believe in having big goals...even if you don't get your goal, you'll still have a great result.

Well done!!

• Options

@Dave Tallo - always impressed by your zen focus on racing. Getting to know you 1-1 in LV a couple of years ago showed me the way a pro plays this game. It may not seem like a success to you, I look at your ability to get out there year after year, toe the line and get it done at a high level with awe. I was tracking you all day and to me the numbers looked great (you were right behind that @Coach Patrick guy and I pictured you storming the course! Looking forward to seeing your next trip to Kona!

• Options

@Dave Tallo Way to crush 13hrs :-)

โ€œA goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.โ€

โ€œIf you spend too much time thinking about a thing, youโ€™ll never get it done. Make at least one definite move daily toward your goal.โ€

โ€“ Bruce Lee

- despite the difference of goal vs result, I'm still confident I can get to sub-10 on this course (and I know just how bold a statement it is that I can take 30 mins off my run)

I believe in you @Dave Tallo You will go sub 10 in KONA !

• Options

@Dave Tallo - kudos for putting it out there. I think 45 minutes doesn't tell the whole story... the weather was a big impact. If you had started beside Frodo, would have been a lot closer to sub 10, maybe would have made it.

Keep on keeping on!

• Options

@Dave Tallo As always, I enjoyed our time together. The race at Kona is always a unique experience, governed by the athlete and the conditions on the day. The smile I saw you give as we passed on Kuikini told me all I needed to know - whatever the outcome, the day was a success for you. As I left after two weeks there, I reflected on your comment, saying how much you enjoyed the opportunity y for a long vacation on Hawaii. Race day was only one small part of that, you know.

• Options

@Dave Tallo it was great meeting you and learning from you. Lofty goals require risk and you know what you want. Keep on it and you will achieve it. I hope to race with you again soon.

• Options

strong mental and physical work again.

sounds like Ironman still works for you. it still works for me and you inspire me to get back to the show again.

have some good downtime.