Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Kickr Bike vs. DDrive Kickr?

If money wasn't an issue. (making this a hypothetical question primarily)

What would you pick any why? The Kickr Bike or the Direct Drive Kickr? I've heard it's best to do all your workouts on your race bike. That being said, the Kickr Bike would match your race geometry so would it matter? Right?

Comments

• Options

I have a Kickr, Headwind and Climb accessories and like them a lot. The new Kickr Bike looks pretty cool, although it's pretty expensive. It states that you can easily adjust the bike, but I'm not sure how it would handle shorter cranks (do you buy them and swap them out?) and some of the new front end cockpit designs. Could you really get an exact fit?

It's probably more water resistant too. The issue with using my bike on the Kickr so much is that it is suffering from major corrosion. Rusted pedals, chain, cables and sweat getting into the frame. I'm not good at cleaning my bike and the bike shop always yells at me for my poor upkeep habits.

I'm happy with what I have!

• Options

@Tom Glynn I know there is a tremendous price point difference between the Kickr Bike and the Kickr trainer and I do most of my riding indoors. Just wondering if biting the bullet for a forever trainer adjustable to any fit would be worth the $$$$.

I know the Kickr bike has a range of crank lengths shortest crank is 165 and it looks easy to adjust, a knob pin that goes into the correct crank size hole. And you do need to add your own aerobars to the setup for the Kickr Bike. It has non-carbon bars so anything can clip on. I don't know if it automatically changes resistance and elevation with Zwift, etc. Anyone know?

Does the Kickr DD with Climb automatically adjust to elevation and resistance changes on either Trainer Road or Zwift? I haven't bitten the bullet on either of those yet.

• Options

@Sue DeJesus

I've got 155 cranks on my bike.

Adding your own bars and other setup things drives up the bike price. When I would be done, it would be a $10K machine!

The Climb auto adjusts elevation on TR and Zwift. You can modify it too, so if Zwift says 10%, you can lower it by a percentage amount, so if you made it 50%, the actual grade would be 5%.

https://zwiftinsider.com/kickr-climb-trainer-difficulty/

• Options

@Tom Glynn thanks - good to know stuff!