Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

2018 William Crawford Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Back to training after a few months with very little activity.

Your Races

• 08/19/2018 Ironman Mont Tremblant
  • Ironman Maryland (2018-09-29) #IMMD_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 05/02/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 06/10/201
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the EN*Full to end on 8/19/2018
  • On 8/20/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/16/2018
  • On 8/27/2018 Load the -- EN*Full to end on 9/29/2018
  • On 9/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/27/2018
  • On 10/28/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2018

Coach Notes

Great to have you back on track Mr Crawford! Here is what I propose for you -- bike focus plan to get you rolling with bike stuff, but keep all the runs short and easy. They can all be at TRP pace; the run frequency matters more than anything else. 

Then we jump out a bit early into the Full Plan for Mont Tremblant. We train you full through MT, recover a week, and then rebuild. WE have a wiki on the REVENGE protocol (here) but you and I should plan on talking to get this dialed in properly. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I am also racing Eagleman on June 10th and IMMT 70.3 on June 24th. I loaded the half ironman intermediate plan a week ago and have been following it. Do you want me to switch to the bike focus? Thanks.

• Options
    @William Crawford -   Yes, if possible I prefer the 2018 bike focus half plan. The main set has “L2“ workouts which are the intermediate ones you can follow. This slight change in emphasis will give you a run room to grow per my comments above. 

You will follow the half plan through May 28 at which point we need to load the full plan and you and I can do the math on how we “taper” you for those half iron races.

Push the alternative is that we keep you in the half plan if the 70.3 importance is very high for you, and we simply modify the bike rides and switch you over to the full plan later. I prefer the first option as it’s safer but I defer to you.
  • Options
    I will follow your recommendations and check back towards the end of the month regarding taper for the two halves. It also may only be on half now as work is threatening to interfere with racing and I may have to skip Mont Tremblant 70.3.
  • Options
    Whatever it turns out to be, you know I am ready to help!
  • Options
    Finished Eagleman - executed well and happy with everything given my relative lack of training. We are not racing 70.3 Mont Tremblant. Our next race is IMMT in August. Do you want me to take a few days off or go right into the training plan for IMMT? Thanks.
  • Options
     Congratulations on the race! I would like you to take it easy Monday through Friday of this week and then you can do that we can workouts as scheduled but just for time and not intensity. In fact, you might only do Saturday and then need Sunday off! 
  • Options
    I participated in IMMT. My minimal training caught up to me and I finished in just under 16 hours (my slowest finish) having to walk almost all of the run. My ITB acted up as is the case when I do not train properly. I have IMMD on the calendar. I have taken off completely this week and plan to add some lite bike rides in next week. Do you think I am ok to run next weekend? 
  • Options

You could probably do some short runs, but honestly it’s the bike that’s most important. Friday I would bake about 60 to 90 minutes easy. Saturday I would bake 3 to 4 hours also easy with incredible nutrition is execution. You can break off of both of those for 15 minutes each. Sunday you can try a 45 to 60 minute run with Monday off. Until that time it’s just easy spinning or swimming or walking.

Even though you didn’t race the race, your body is still hurting. I suggest you stretch/roll your ITB in the meantime.

Let me know how you are feeling this week.

• Options

sounds like a plan. I am off Monday so I am planning on a bike Sunday and another ride on Monday.

I have been stretching the ITB and feel good.

I will update you after Monday's ride.

As always, thanks!

• Options

looking forward to it!

• Options

@William Crawford

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Ok, time to get to work my friend. The mission to Eagleman:

• Run consistency
    • Weight loss time through focused in workout nutrition.
    • Bike volume on the weekend as the weather improves.

The focus to Maryland will be:

• recover from Eagleman, capture lessons learned.
    • Target key metrics for race day success...I like the idea of a Low Six bike handle and a Sub 5 Run...but you tell me.

Right now I can see your Final Surge Calendar is a MESS, so let me know if you are okay with the plans below by emailing me here and I can replace what you have to match my guidance...how does that sound?

~ Coach P

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Eagleman (2019-06-09) #70.3Eagleman_19
    • Ironman Maryland (2019-09-28) #IMMD_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/04/2019
    • On 4/8/2019  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the  -- EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019 

Your Notes

2018 - Eagleman, IMMT, and IMMD - I took several months off following IMMD and did absolutely nothing. I have recently started training again. I have no injuries, but am 10 pounds heavier than my "normal weight" and 18 pounds above "race weight." Running 1-2x per week for total of 7-14 miles. Biking 20-60 miles per week.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I agree with the goals and the plans. I am currently in the airport getting ready to fly to Spain to visit my daughter. I will not have access to my bike until 4/21. I will focus on running every day while I am in Spain.

Please let me know if you disagree.

Thanks,

Skip

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 12:11PM

Hey Skip,

Coach P asked me to respond while he’s ironically in Spain. Don’t worry about the lack of biking this week. Running every day is great as long as you don’t jack up your weekly volume by more than 10-20%. If you’re currently running 20 miles per week, don’t treat it as a camp-like week and run 40. For me, my priorities in long-course running are frequency > volume > intensity.

If you’re at a hotel and have 30 minutes, don’t downplay the benefits of 10 min WU, 10x1’ @Z4 effort with 1’ rest on a stationary bike. I travel a ton and frequently do this. If it burns and you sweat, you’re doing it right. If no stationary bike, no big deal to run-only.

Enjoy Spain. I look forward to training and racing with you @ IMMD.

MR

• Options

@Mike Roberts thanks man!!! 👍

• Options

@Mike Roberts and @Coach Patrick thanks. I apologize for the lack of a response. I really like the advice about the stationary bike. I also travel a good bit for work.

• Options

Keep us posted!!!!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Eagleman (2020-06-14) #70.3Eagleman_20
    • Ironman Maryland (09/19/2020) #IMMD_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/25/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 6/14/2020
    • On 6/15/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/28/2020
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 09/19/2020
    • On 9/20/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/17/2020
    • On 10/18/2020 Load the    Durability for Runners 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/14/2020
    • On 11/15/2020 Load the    Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/12/2020

Your Notes

DNF at IMMD - did zero swim training between 2018 IMMD and 2019 IMMD. It was a very bad decision. I had several panic attacks in the swim and did not complete the swim.Bike fitness is good - run fitness is on the low side for me.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P