Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Javelina Jundred 2019 100K

edited October 6, 2019 8:56PM in General Training Discussions

So.

In a bizarre twist on date-night, Lee Ann and I are doing the our first 100K at Javelina (AZ) later this month. Fortunately, we're not going in completely blind - last year I crewed/paced a friend in the Javelina 100 miler, Coach P / Matt have been guiding us on a training plan to get us prepared, and the ultra resources section has been helpful.

While we don't have any specific open questions, since this is our first foray into the ultra adventure we don't know what we don't know. Which means we're keen to tap into anything that made a big or little difference for you / helpful tips / experiences with Javelina, etc., basically anything worth considering - especially since we're 'crew-less' in this endeavour...

We're all ears!

Evan + Lee Ann

@Lee Ann O'Regan @matt limbert

Comments

• Options

@Evan O'Regan @Lee Ann O'Regan Javelina 100k nice choice. The Pemberton 50k (2 loops of most of your course) was my first foray into the Ultra world. Javelina Jundred has been on my list ever since, I love the loop, time of year, Halloween Party atmosphere, and pretty much guaranteed weather. I've also trained in that area numerous times, completed a 40 mile MTB race , and spent a day spectating Heather for her Pemberton 50k. Since your familiar with the course from pacing the 100 mile I wont bore you with description other than you will have a gradual 7-8 mile climb, gradual 7-8 mile descent, and nothing too technical. The loop course is perfect for being "crew less" ONE DROP BAG at the Start and you will have access to it @22 and @42 miles. Having a maximum distance of 6.5 miles between AS makes it very manageable. I thought the RD guidance in the race info of 50oz water on first lap, 70oz water next 2 laps to be a bit much. You will see many people running with nothing but one small handheld which is enough for them to get to the next AS. Calculate what you need for fluid on a hot day to go 6.5 miles and make sure you always have that much, but try to minimize what you are carrying . I'd go as far as to calculate it in both directions of the loops since one 6.5 miles UP will be 10-15min slower than the 6.5 miles section DOWN. A light in your drop bag MUST be picked up at the beginning of LAP 3 unless you are absolutely sure you can complete prior to 5PM (sunset should be around 5:30pm). Extra shoes/socks maybe nice after 2 laps but a pair of gaiters may prevent that . Carry some race nutrition to be consumed in between AS but plan to eat off the AS to simplify. Run/Walk starting at mile 1, and repeat every mile, yes this course lends itself well to that technic. Walk the steeper ups and specially when it gets hot. Stay cool, and watch out for the fake rattlesnakes :-) Any thing else?

• Options

@Tim Sullivan @Gabe Peterson Any insight/advice? Lights? Is this a hiking pole worthy race?

• Options

First. Have fun on the run. It doesn't look like you will have any use for poles but make sure and have a light. I like a waist light (ultra spire lumen 600 I think) but some prefer a headlamp.

I like running with a bladder so I always have plenty of energy drink. I seem to need more salt and electrolytes when info Ultras so I take some about every hour or so in addition to my energy drink. I didnt start early enough at Leadville and I think it cost me. Also eat something at least every hour or so. You don't want to get behind on nutrition. Eat what looks good but make sure you eat.

I'd walk the uphills and jog the other parts. There should be plenty of people doing this so if in doubt look around. You can also mix it up. Just don't go to hard at any one point.

Smile and expect part or parts of the run to not be very pleasant. If you expect that then it's not a surprise. Don't loiter in aid stations. Get your food and drink and eat while walking

Have fun

• Options

@Evan For 6 years I lived, trained, and raced in Scottsdale (neighbors of Fountain Hills). I haven't done this race, but I am pretty certain, it will be amazing an amazing desert experience.

My only advice is to keep tabs on the temperature the days preceding. I just returned from a week and a half in Scottsdale and every day was mid 90's. Changes are the weather will be perfect, but any day of the year it can be 95+. Be prepared to drink a LOT more than you expect.

Also not sure when it starts / ends, but it is COLD in the desert in the AM and gets cold quickly at night. Be prepared for that as well. It heats up and cools down quickly, so don't let it sneak up on you. As always, prepare for the worst / expect the best!

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

• Options

NO POLES ALLOWED unless for special circumstances.

• Options

@tim cronk @Patrick Large @Tim Sullivan

Lots of good nuggets in here - thank you!!

• Options

Congrats to @Evan O'Regan and @Lee Ann O'Regan nice Buckles !

• Options

Way to go! Can't wait to hear more about it! Congratulations.