Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

vDOT

What do we use vDOT for?

Where should I get this measure? I have found some online calculators, but as far as I can find, there isn't one anymore on the EN website.

Comments

• Options

Hye @Rob Tune - check out this page in the Wiki - http://members.endurancenation.us/Learning/Running.aspx

it's probably all worth a read, but you can scroll down to the section on testing. Essentially you run a 5k "like you have a gun to your head," and want to puke when finished, ideally on a flat course and evenly paced.

take that time and put it in any good Vdot Calculator - http://attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?eqdist=1500&vdot=31

the Vdot # will then give you your zones when you put that into final surge. (Endurance Nation menu drop down for "Set up your zones)

hope that helps!

• Options

Thanks @scott dinhofer, I have my zones figured out based on my HR at Threshold. I don't see anything on the calculator about vDOT, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Is there a benefit to using vDOT instead of HR zones?

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 9:40PM

@Rob Tune vDOT is used if you have a GPS running watch - which is better than heart rate. That said, heart rate is what we use if we don't have Run Pace or Run Power.

The EN run zone calculator gives you your training zones (pace) based on a recent all out test. We usually use a 5 km test but the calculator allows a range of distances.

IMO, Run power is superior to pace and heart rate (I use Stryd and a Garmin 935).

• Options

What @Peter Greagg said. I use Stryd and a Garmin 920 because it still works. I have found vDOT interesting but not so useful since I moved to power.

• Options

A running track and timex ironman watch with stopwatch = the gold standard and speak directly to vdot and pace. In the case of running, power is a derived & secondary metric.

• Options

as a note here, Vdot is a number derived from an all out run test. That number then when used with a calculator can spit out training zones. Or you can enter the test data into FinalSurge and get your zones. Same essential output.

Power is another metric that can do the same. I became a power convert this year when i started running by power in my final few weeks of prep for IMLP. Power was very helpful in slight uphills and variations of terrain where you would feel that you just weren't going well. I'd look down, see that by power, as on the bike, I am going exactly as I should be...

that was a win for me.