Home General Training Discussions
Options

NOS 2020 Run - Week 1

Welcome to Week 1 of your November OutSeason! For some of us it’s hard to believe we are already on the OS and for others, you are freshly coming off the run durability program. This will be one of a weekly series of forum threads for all things relative to the run.

As the first week of the OS, the run program may seem a bit light, with most of the time being spent in TRP (target run pace), strides, and some hills/short repeats. Like the rest of the OS you need to choose which level you plan to follow and its okay to have a different level then your bike, or change levels if you need recovery.

Note: there are no run tests at the beginning of the OS, but the first is scheduled right around Thanksgiving, so if there is a local 5k or Turkey trot you may want to target it for run testing.

Week 1:

• There are 4-5 runs per week dependent on which level you choose. You can do more if your coming off run durability, but keep them easy.
  • Get to know your TRP, most of your runs will be at that level of intensity.
  • Bike Focus – This year we start with some z5 intensity for the 1st four weeks, For week 1 everyone does 9x400 with differing level of rest. The first few should feel challenging but controlled, they then become progressively harder as you get to the later half.
  • Run Focus – Hills are your strength training you will be doing 2x5-8 minutes depending on level. If your running outside go for cumulative hill time as listed in the main set.
  • Long runs – everyone will do 45-60 minutes for a long run on the weekend

Other Thoughts:

• Strength training and/or core training are all supplements, but encouraged. You can add either to your training plan on Final Surge.
  • Swim training is also supplemental and can be added the same way for those looking to improve on their swim in the OS.

Happy training to everyone in this years OS, I look forward to training with you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I had to swap the Tuesday/Wednesday runs due to work commitments. The 9x went pretty well. I used the treadmill, as suggested.

At first, I had considered going to the track since it's 400s. My local school system is crappy about letting the public use the tracks at public schools -- even those adjucent to parks. I knew of one school that had no fencing. Well, they put fencing up last week. I am not a happy camper. I understand wanting to keep the school facilities nice but I kinda sorta part owner of the track... Anyway, I used the TM at the gym today.

• Options

I do love the track (really). So 9 x 400 (1.5') is not a surprise, when most Wednesdays I'm at the track at 5am with friends. Today at wake time (3:30) it was raining and the radar had the worst as yet to come, so I went back to sleep.

Ran the 9 x 400 (1.5') later in the morning at a local park by the Arkansas River, which is about the flattest terrain around (not much flat here in central Arkansas). The paths were wet and slippery from the rain and covered with leaves, so traction was loose at times. Overall I'm pleased given that I wasn't running on a measured track.

• Options

Nice work everyone!! I am envious of missing out on the 400 repeats. My work schedule and life commitments today did not allow a use of a treadmill so I did a run hack to the scheduled 9x400 run session. My only free time was during lunch hour so I went outdoor running on a 6 mile plus route which included many hills. While I did not abide by the time pacing of the scheduled run session, I believe I achieved a similar level of "effort and work" on the hills as I would have on a treadmill performing 400m repeats.

All in all the run felt very good with perhaps a little little tiny bit of residual tiredness from the bike workout last evening; it was a little warm temp outside (here in SoCal) which created a good sweat.

6.2 miles overall; 57 minutes.

• Options

First treadmill interval work in a decade. I have access to a nice indoor track, which I enjoy, but I’m trying to follow directions, and wanted complete the workout as written. I walked the RI, but felt solid during the Zn5 efforts. Looking forward to doing this WKO each Wed.

• Options

Tried the Wednesday intervals on the TM since we had a foot of snow at that time. I might have to try that outside next week, that's all I'm saying...

• Options

Sunday’s run was great! Maybe the extra hour due to daylight savings ending was my magic potion, I’m not sure why a felt awesome while running this morning.

I ran and hour and six, and knocked off a nice negative split during the second half of the run. The early morning sun rays in SoCal and the long cool temp shadows under the trees made for a wonderful experience.

• Options

So, I am 1 week in and already having tendonitis in my foot. Not how I would like to start the OS. Doesn't bother my bike and I can run but it is just sore afterwards. May tend towards durability for a while...

• Options

Great job everyone, for kicking off the 1st week of the OS!

Looks like the 400s and long runs felt good for most of us. But as @Ralph Moore is doing, if you feel any nagging injuries, etc. it is always better to back off to more of the durability with short easy runs vs hurting yourself for the upcoming season.

• Options

I was mostly still run focused last week, with the Land and Sky Relay (Asheville to Cherokee) on Saturday. I got more than my share of running in but less than my share of riding.

I did troubleshoot my AppleTV issue (new permissions caused some bluetooth woes for me) but that is now behind me and I should be on track this week!

• Options

Dropped my run frequency to 4x3mi (my year avg) so that I could absorb the bike focus. Feeling positive with the Zn5 intervals on Weds. Big work commitments and loss of weekday daylight this week... but hoping to increase Sun run to 6mi in week 2.