Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎

Moab 240 Endurance Run

It took three weeks and two transatlantic flights, but I finally completed my Moab 240 race report. It's a doozy -- so grab a cup of coffee and set aside 15 minutes for reading. I tried to make it skim-friendly if you just want to hit the highlights and lowlights, and look at pictures.

Would love to field questions and hear your thoughts. I'll preemptively answer one question: no, I'm not crazy. πŸ˜‚

Tagged:

Comments

• @Gabe Peterson I read the whole report. Thanks for writing it! I've never done anything near what you accomplished and I appreciate hearing about your mind-bending experience. So much planning, calculating, preparing, and executing and adjusting on the fly - so many life lessons. You had a great race! Congrats! :)

• Did it feel like Ground Hog Day? run/hike cheeseburger, run/hike breakfast burrito, run/hike? I like the swap to pancakes with jelly :-) Multidaze = multi days , amazed , dazed and confused! Incredible durability and mind over matter mental toughness. My hat is off to you , I am in awe, so much respect!

• Gabe, the RR was a great read. Very interesting strategy with the caffeine pills. Having made a few 80 mile backpacking trips, I can't imagine running over 200 miles. Congrats on the great finish, both in completion and race placement.

Ultra running always seems interesting to me and I would like to try it someday. Maybe I have a touch of insanity in me.

Finally, the Barkley is insanity +1, good luck.

• wow, just wow. great report and an epic journey!

• @Gabe Peterson Incredible! I read your race report last night and called out various portions to my kids and they were in awe of the mileage, your ability to run for so long, and your trail naps. "He slept in some leaves?!?!"

Congratulations!

• @Sue DeJesus thanks, it was a helluva journey! I thought I'd probably just do a 200 once, but it was such a life changing experience that I signed up for the Tahoe 200 lottery a couple days after Moab. As luck would have it, I got in!

@tim cronk haha, definitely felt like Ground Hog day from a culinary perspective. Yesterday was the first time I was able to eat a burger since the race. I used to love breakfast burrito, but I think we need some time apart so that love can return. I'm just waiting for you to sign up for a 200. πŸ˜‰

@Gary Lewis you would crush ultras! Try a 50k and see if you like it. Lot of good races in AZ. Definitely takes a little crazy. 😡

@scott dinhofer thanks!

@Jeff Phillips glad you enjoyed my story. It is amazing the places you can sleep when tired enough. I'd lay down on the side of the trail saying, "no way I can sleep here." I was out about 15 seconds later. πŸ˜‚

• @Gabe Peterson I'd say you're a role model... but no, you're one of a kind. Reminds me of all the Arctic/Antarctic exploration books I used to read looking for motivation.

You should really be an explorer/trekker. Try this one some time:

Yeah, it's only 170 km, and they let you take 8 days. But, remember, it's all @ 9000-14,500 feet altitude, in a primitive part of the world where the main means of transportation is by foot...

• @Gabe Peterson Thanks for taking the time to give us your reflections on this amazing feat! Awe inspiring.

• @Gabe Peterson - Congratulations on the great accomplishment. It was great watching your progress online and on groupme. Your write-up was awesome and has me itching to do some ultras again.

• @Al Truscott very insightful, as always! I was having similar thoughts. I've always wanted to do the John Muir Trail but it's not feasible for me to take two weeks off. However, I could probably swing a week to fastpack it. Will probably start doing mixing in some non-race multi-day adventures over the coming years. The Mustang looks like a beauty, would love to explore that part of the world.

@JoJo Thirasilpa thanks!

@Patrick Hayden you should try it! Warning, it may be habit forming. πŸ˜‚