Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mike Westover Official Coach Thread

Coach P,

Congrats on the Kona race!

I’m in training for the NYC Marathon in 17 days, following the Marathon Balanced Advanced plan. I had the 20-mile run planned for last Sunday, but woke up that morning with shin pain (first time in 13 years) and decided to rest instead. X-rays indicate a stress reaction but not a fracture. The doc says to take another week of cross-training, and then if I can run without pain it’s fine to race. 

A few questions:
1. What do you recommend for cross-training? Outseason-type bike intervals? Lower-intensity biking? Something other than cycling? It looks like any biking in the next few days would be indoors. 
2. What approach would you take when starting to run again? Should I just follow the last week of the marathon plan?
3. If I race, how much should I adjust my race goals? My half marathon time (from Labor Day) and speedwork paces are right around where I was last fall when I ran 2:59 on a hilly course, and my plan had been to go for a 2:59 again. But I will be missing two weeks of training including the 20 miler, and I also had to cut the 18 mile run in week 19 short due to a cold. So while the other runs have gone fine, my longest run is 16 miles. 

We can also discuss some of this on our call on Tuesday. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    @Mike Westover -  Really glad that we could talk yesterday and connect about your next steps.

To recap, he want you to do some white cross training this week in terms of cycling. This weekend you should do a brickwork out running with Walk breaks for a short distance off the bike. Then we sit back and observe how you feel.

If there still no pain, then we can do a few short runs next week but you and I can talk about here. Nothing sexier, just trying to get your aerobic system back in a good place before the race itself.

At the end of the day you made the right call to listen to your body, now we move forward!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - first run is done (just 3 miles easy with walk breaks) and no pain so far. What do you suggest for the rest of the week, assuming the pain stays away? I am flying Friday afternoon, so might take a rest day Friday and get in a short jog Saturday on my way to the expo. 
  • Options
    Just stay active....sorry I missed this. Sending you great vibes!!
  • Options
    Just submitted my TSR for 2018. My A race and season focus is Boston. If the weather is good I want to aim for 2:55-2:59 depending on where I can get my fitness. 

I am also thinking about running my town's half marathon on March 18 (4 weeks before Boston) if it won't disrupt training too much. I also like to give myself a little more recovery time between the biggest workouts and the marathon, so my thought is to move the marathon plan up two weeks, with the 20 miler 5 weeks out from Boston. Then I would have the half marathon 4 weeks out, a week of recovery, and then the last 3 weeks of the marathon plan.

The NYC Marathon went okay. Fortunately no injury issues during the race or since. The missed training showed, and I hobbled the last 5 miles to finish in 3:13. Still a BQ and not too bad considering with the missed training I only averaged 23 miles/week for the last 8 weeks.

• Options
    Sounds good! Right now you should be focused on your recovery. I can help you with your season plan as I should be able to hit it this week.

Our biggest objective will be to make sure you can run and run healthy all the way into Boston. That’s what is going to be required for you to hit your goals!
  • Options

@mike westover

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Did the NYC Marathon on November 5th, using the Advanced Marathon Balanced plan. Missed two weeks of training at the end due to a lower leg stress reaction. No pain or issues with the leg since then.

Your Races

Main Race:

• 3/18/2018 Mercer Island Half Marathon
    • Boston Marathon (2018-04-16) #262Boston_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017
    • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
    • On 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018
    • On 1/22/2018 Load the -- Marathon, 24 Weeks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 4/29/2018

Coach Notes

I don't want you getting too serious with the Marathon training until we hit mid-January (12 weeks to go); until then I want you on the Run Durability Plan, and yes riding a trainer (Can you dig it) to do some hard interval work while your run is just steady. 

Goal here would be to get you back up to 5-6 runs a week, all steady in the 7:20 to 7:40 range just chilling. You'd have one quality run a week otherwise you are building the engine. 

Ok to do some core strength here and even a bit of upper body strength:  Shoulder Press, Bench, Seated Rows, Back Exensions and Kneeling Cable Chop...these are good to do 2x a week.

Let me know what you think and let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick

Starting to plan for after Boston. I just got in through the lottery for RAMROD (1-day cycling event with 150 miles, 10,000' climbing) on July 26, so I guess I know what's next! It is not a race and I have no particular time goal, but want to get in shape to enjoy myself as much as possible. The challenge is that I have been 100% focused on Boston recently, so I will need to rebuild bike fitness in a hurry. I also want to keep running for durability, looking to move back toward running races in the late summer and fall.

I am thinking about something like:
    • April 17-29: 2 weeks Boston recovery / transition plan. Get out on the bike as much as I can to stay loose
    • April 30-June 10: 6 weeks Bike Focus Block. Set up weekends more like Get Faster, with longer ride Saturday followed by ABP ride Sunday. Build the long ride up to 4 hours
    • June 11-July 26: 6 1/2 weeks. EN Full Bike Focused plan? Hack by dropping swimming and limiting run duration. I would have 3 big weekends (June 16-17, 23-24, 30-Jul 1) then would begin to taper

What do you think? Am I crazy to think this is do-able?
  • Options
    @Mike Westover - It is 100% totally doable. Your fitness is superhigh even if it is not bike specific right now. The key part is making sure that you stay healthy through Boston and right afterwards.

I love the idea of using your recovery window from Boston as an opportunity to get back on the bike, but you certainly won’t be doing any meaningful work there for two weeks as you have noted. They should all be super easy spends in the first few should be no more than 30 minutes.

I like the idea of the bike focus plan, but I think you and I should check in before you started in case you were still not ready to handle the intensity.   As you noted, you have a few weekends were you can do some volume on the bike to quickly wrap your fitness up, so we always have that in our back pocket.

For now, outline your race execution plan for Boston and let’s get the dialed in 100%. Let me know if you need anything in the short term. 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 4/26/2020 Mount Rainier Duathlon
    • 8/8/2020 Lake Tye Triathlon   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on November 07, 2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the Half Marathon 12 weeks to end on  12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019  Load the Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks)  to end on  12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/12/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020  Load the Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  6/7/2020

> Transition Early <

• On 5/25/2020  Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on  8/9/2020

Your Notes

2016: IM Canada 11:26, Seattle Marathon 2:59

2017: Second kid / less time for training, NY Marathon 3:13

2018: Boston 3:13, RAMROD (150-mile ride) in July, trail race in Sept

2019: Short course focus, only 3 hours/week training until August but managed 2nd overall in a sprint. Training for Seattle half marathon December 1Was averaging 10 miles/week running and 3x/week hard biking this year until August. Since then have been ramping up running, now at 30-35 miles/week (plus one short bike workout per week) on the balanced half marathon plan. Half marathon race is December 1. 

For next year, I may do 1-2 half marathons early in the year, and then will focus on short course. Planning on a sprint duathlon in late April, then several sprint tris in June/July/August.

Goals for next year are:

1. Run - consistent 20-25 mpw baseline. March half marathon time 1:25, maybe less (was 1:23 from 2016-2018). Sub-19 sprint tri 5k

2. Bike - raise FTP from 230 back up to 250+, and work on holding that for 30-40 minute race efforts

3. Swim - would love to go from 2:10/100y wetsuit to under 2:00. But my focus is still more on the bike and run

4. Don't get sick! Maybe more dream than reality with a toddler in day care

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

This discussion has been closed.