Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Liz Rogers Official Coach Thread [CoachEN]

2»

Comments

• Options

@Elizabeth Robb How is post-race recovery going?

• Options

It’s going... I swam on Tuesday for a little and felt good and then work up the next morning with a sore throat and congestion so all I’ve done since is walk. I’m feeling much better this morning so hoping to get back on plan this week because otherwise my body feels pretty normal.

• Options

I'm sorry to hear about the cold, and glad to hear you are feeling better. Walking is great. Have bias for rest or active recovery is great. Feel free to adjust and scale the workouts. Let your body fully recover. Think about your next long and short term goals and we'll get back at it.

• Options

Hey Liz, I loaded the Run Durability for Triathletes plan for you. It starts on Monday. The workouts and pattern should look familiar to you. It has some tempo runs for variety - but no VO2 intervals. It still includes some swimming and biking. This is a 4 week block will get you to the beginning of November.

Have you thought about your Outseason goals or race plans?

• Options

Hi Matt, thank you! I'm recovering from an asthma flare so had to pull way back on workouts this week. I'm taking it day by day on if I can exercise so need another week before I start solid run workouts. I'm probably going to ease back in this week with some light biking an hopefully build to a normal run by the end of the week.

For the out season, I want to be a stronger/faster runner and get my swimming back to where it was pre-injury. I also want to focus more on eating well and trying to lose about 10 lbs (over the year/however long it takes). I lost a few pounds this season and feel so much better that I want to keep it going.

As far as races go I have nothing firm. I am thinking about the Broad Street 10 miler May 3rd (or a half if I don't get in). Ideally, I would like to do a spring/early summer and fall Olympic but have to figure out which ones.

I've been mulling over if I could handle the jump to a half ironman in 2021. I feel like right now my running would be a problem (and I generally don't know if I can handle the training load in my work schedule). I'd love your perspective on what you recommend this year if that's what I'm thinking for the long run.

• Options

Hey Liz, sorry to hear about your asthma - it is really smart to take it day by day. I like your idea of easing back with the light biking and setting the goal for a normal run by the end of the week.

For your Outseason goals - the Run Durability plan we have loaded will start you on the path of a stronger/faster runner. We have a swim addition we can add, but we might want to adjust or drop a run if you add the swimming. Do you feel the need for any shoulder mobility work? Or do you feel you just need more pool time for your feel of the water to come back? Take a look at the schedule and let me know how much you want to swim.

For body composition, Coach Patrick did a video lesson on it here. It might give you some ideas for sustainable habits etc.

You don't have to make decision on the HIM now. Wait to see how your fitness and work develop. I like that you are honest with yourself about balancing your work schedule and with the potential increase in training time for a HIM. I don't think it is out the question - especially if it was a late summer. You will have almost a year in your new position by then, so you may feel better about trying it. The 10 miler or half marathon in the early spring is a great goal race to keep you focused running and then follow that up with a Olympic. I think you will have a better understanding of your time constraints and how your fitness develops through the winter and spring to make your next decision on racing.

I like the goal races you are thinking about - they bring a certain level of commitment and focus. I read recently that when choosing a goal, set it and then think about what the goal would look like if you gave yourself 90% of accomplishing it. Then, look at it again and then define what it would look like if you gave yourself 80% of accomplishing it. Then, look at reset it again and give yourself a 70% chance of accomplishing it. That 70% chance of accomplishment goal - is the one you need. It is the one that is big enough, crazy enough and challenging enough to get your complete attention and focus. It is the one that will get you to do those really hard or long workouts in the winter. It is the one that will get you to do the preparation and make the changes you need to because of the risk involved. So, yeah like what you are thinking about!

• Options

I probably need some mobility work, I have exercises from my PT that I have to start doing again regularly. Otherwise, I was feeling okay in the water just weak. I'm thinking swimming twice a week. I don't know if that is enough to get back but if I do 3 I'd probably be sacrificing too much running.

• Options

Liz, you can certainly fit in the second swim day on Monday if that works for your schedule. We can track your progress based on your post-workout notes (swim, bike and run) on how it effects your other workouts. I bet you can handle it, though. Plus, you enjoy swimming and it brings a fun aspect to your training - which is super important.

Doing the mobility again will help too. Another option could swim cords or band work added to to your mobility work for an added strength component - then you don't have to drop the rest day or run day. Ask your PT about how you could add some band work to the mobility exercises.

• Options

@Liz Rogers Just checking in. How is it going? Are you over the asthma flare up? How is the shoulder and PT?

Your current training block ends next week. Have you thought about your schedule for 2020. You can (should submit some races to Coach Patrick - he will design you a Season Roadmap - you must have some ideas) Submit them here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

As a Coach EN athlete, you have opportunity to talk with Coach Patrick one-on-one. He can help you define come concrete goals for the OutSeason and help you stay focused through the winter. You have some good fitness we would like to build on. Schedule a call with him here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/coach-30-check-in-call-new-member-free?month=2019-11

Let's keep you rolling!

• Options

@Liz Rogers Let's chat. We don't have a training plan loaded for next week. How can we help?

• Options

Hi Matt, I think I figured out my 2020 schedule and submitted this weekend. Right now I'm planning a half marathon March 29th and 10 miler in May (that one if I get in the lottery and just for fun) and then the New Jersey State Olympic tri July 19th. I'm feeling like that is early to end the season but didn't find anything I was interested in during September. I want to get more comfortable with the half to maybe do a half ironman in 2021.

I also downgraded my account to TeamEN for the outseason... I'm not super clear how that impacts forums but it seemed more in line with what I need for now.

• Options

@Liz Rogers Thanks for submitting your races. Coach Patrick will put a Season Roadmap together for you focused on the Half. Do you want to keep some biking and swimming in your plan?

I loaded the next phase of Run Durability program for you. It is 4 weeks and has 2x bike workouts a week, with a focus on run frequency. We would like to keep you on some structure. What do you think?

• Options

@Liz Rogers Nice job last week. Looks like you found a schedule that really works for you. I love your consistency.