Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Sid Wavrin IMAZ Race plan

This will be my 5th Full Ironman race. My last IM was a disaster so that is in my head. I had two very successful HIM in June of this year and I have built on those and feel like the build to this race is solid. So my goal is to execute a smart race and let the result take care of itself.

Traveling Thursday. I would like to unpack the bike for a quick check and get checked in to the race if possible. A run to shake the travel would be nice.

Friday: Ride a portion of the course with other ENers and possibly a very short run. Will also try to deal with organizing race day bags. Dinner with the team.

Saturday: Kelly is racing the sprint to add some joy to her Sherpa duties I will attend that in the AM and possibly get bike and bags checked in at the same time? Need to find time for a big breakfast and Possibly the practice swim on the course. I have not been in open water for almost 2 months. Makes sure Garmin is fully charged and confirm fresh power meter batteries. The other order of the day is to stay hydrated and off the feet as much as possible. Eat early. Sleep early.

Race day: Up at 3:30. Breakfast as normal. Oatmeal, banana, Yogurt. May add some bagel later. Sip electrolyte throughout the morning. Gel 10 minutes before the swim start. I plan to line up for swim and around the 1:10 point. That is slightly faster than my expected swim time. Start controlled and build withe goal of finishing the swim feeling pretty fresh. I for sure swim faster if I stay controlled.

Transition: Keep moving efficiently. Wetsuit strippers, get to bike, shoes on possibly with socks (probably not) depending on how cold I feel. Looking for advise from veterans here. Do I need arm warmers and toe covers on shoes? Helmet with visor. Get to start line and start Garmin. All nutrition should be on the bike .

Bike: Admin in transition before swim: Pair Garmin, Load nutrition, check tires. I will start the bike with two bottles of regular strength Infinit and a little water BTA, The plan is to consume a total of about 1800 calories with a combination of Infinit, GE, GU waffles and Cliff Blocks. I will use special needs to refill. Also adding as much water as possible throughout. This should cover the sodium needs, but I will have some on board if needed.I really want to control the bike effort at the beginning, and build into it. I will do this by RPE and use power to check myself. HR should run 130 to 135, but I will put a hard cap at 140. Tends to be much lower early in bike. I will target a NP of around 165 drifting above race watts on the way out and slightly below on the way back for each lap. Garmin screen will be set to auto lap every 3 miles monitoring HR, NP, speed while monitoring 3 second avg power and HR. I like to have additional screens for total TSS, total time and mileage. This should feel pretty easy in the first half of the bike and harder as the day wears on. I won't be worried if it feels a little harder on the third lap to hold this power, In my race rehearsals I have pushed a fair bit harder than this and still have been able to run.

Transition: Once bike is handed off, move steadily to change tent. remove helmet and shoes, put on socks and VF4% , grab go bag and head out. Go bag will have race belt which has 3 caffeine gels, and salt and a hat. Start Garmin in run mode.

Run: Main goal of this race is to feel in control of this run from the beginning to the finish. This requires a really easy pace to start, getting HR under control early (135ish), hold this slow pace until run form feels normal and I can begin to access how In feel. My hope is to settle into a run that feels somewhat comfortable for the first six miles or so then begin to build the pace toward a goal using HR and RPE as a guide. I will slow or walk at all aid station to get GE water and switch to coke later in the run. I will carry gels with caffeine to make sure I have them when needed. I have a goal pace in mind if HR will allow. I am mentally prepared to suffer for the last hour of this run. Resisting the urge to walk will be in the front of my mind. I really hope to draw energy from the other EN team members I see on course.

I am extremely grateful to be able to train and toe the line of any race. This preparation has been made so much better with the help and support of this team. I am so excited to meet and race with all of the team mates that will be at IMAZ. A sincere thank you to all of the team who offer knowledge, inspiration and support every day. It's been fun to virtually train with those who are on the same schedule. Here is another great experience!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Sid, have that same mind set you had in CDA 70.3, your were a beast. You have the fitness and no need to worry about your last IM, that is in the past and better day ahead. Good luck, will be tracking you

• Options

You've done all the thinking, let it internalize, and try to keep your thoughts to a minimum on race day - just let your body and your well-rehearsed plans do the work. Moment-to-moment, no past, no future from dawn to dusk, OK?

Only advice - (1)If you plan to pee while rolling on the bike, don't wear socks! (2) Are you comfortable taking your feet out of the shoes and leaving them clipped in as you dismount? A lot easier to navigate T2 after 5.5 hours of biking without those shoes on.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - great job posting and documenting your plan! I have very much enjoyed training virtually with you this year and I thank you/commend you for leading the weekly ride for us!

1800 calories/5.5 hours = 328 cal/hour. How much do you weigh? Given IMAZ is dry and warm, how much sodium/hour does that give you vs. your requirement?

Is this what you have used during your long rides? Have you considered going all liquid after 2 hours on the bike?

Part of keeping your box as big as you can for as long as you can begins the day before with what you choose to eat ensuring minimal bowel issues on race. This "keeping the box big" idea extends into race day with how well you can advance that caloric/sodium intake during the first half the bike leg.

I wish you great skill and execution. You could not be racing with a better team.

KMF!

• Options

@Sid Wavrin You have a solid plan to set yourself up for a great race. Everyone process things like this differently maybe you need the pre-race one thing to keep you relaxed and confident at the start line. For you, be confident in the work you have put in, execute the EN way, react to the challenges of the day and stay out of your head the day before and morning before the start.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin the past is not a guaranteed indicator of the future, look forward and visualize nothing but success, build that confidence through out the week.

Good Skill 1 week from today :-)

• Options

@Dave Legg Thanks for the vote of confidence. CDA was a good day, and that will bring confidence.

@Al Truscott Done. No socks! I will dismount with shoes on the bike. Thank you for sharing part of your training with me! Makes it so much more fun.

@Shaughn Simmons Based on race rehearsals I'm pretty sure I have enough calories planned. I actually have to be pretty diligent to get that much in. I have done all liquid in other races with some issues, So I am trying to separate some of the calories from hydration, adding water in an attempt to see if it works better for me. seemed to work well in training. I like "keep the box big!" The posts of your work in this build have helped keep me motivated. Thank you!

@Gordon Cherwoniak I just need to get the party started. I'm confident the build was solid.

@tim cronk A whole new day!

• Options

@Sid Wavrin sounds good! πŸ‘Š

With those lowers temps I would push caloric intake to higher end and front load as possible.

Crush it IM!

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - I am looking forward to meeting you in person. It has been a pleasure spending so much time virtually training with you. You have fantastic fitness and a great plan with a lot of great advice. Take it all in and have a great race!