Homeโ€บ Ultra Racing
Options

40 mile run Fail

edited November 16, 2019 7:47PM in Ultra Racing

I had planned to do the NYRR 60k run in Central Park on 11-17-19 but at a late date found the registration closed. I decided to run 60k-40 miles on my own this weekend. Sunday called for rain and wind so I chose Saturday. I left some Gatorade bottles out on my course. I planned a two loop course back to my house by mile 30 and then I would do an out and back. I don't like the cold and the weather was 37-41 but the wind was 28 mph and feel like temp was 28.

I started out easy carrying a gatorade bottle and dropping at ~mile3 where the 2 loops would be. I felt good through mile 9 my legs were not fresh. I was still running at 8:30 pace but side winds were messing with my gait. Miles 10 and 11 were tail wind which were fine. 1 Gel every 4 miles. When I turned around into the wind it all fell apart. Gusts were standing me up to a complete stop. I was leaning forward into the wind causing ache in feet, ankles and hamstring and back. I did some power walking and then running when gusts slowed. I ate a few blocks but calories wasn't the problem. 5 miles into the wind was crushing and even when the wind was more side it still screwed up my gait. I knew I could not do a second loop and decided to just get home. I am done for the season. Another time I will try again to run >26.2miles

20 miles 3:08 9:25min/mile

Not much fun

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Robert Sabo Kudos on the attempt and putting this out there. Conditions were extreme, sounds like when I paced @Simon Shurey at UMWC running down from Hawi I could not even stand up straight. If it were an Ultra race everyone would have the same conditions, pace and time is irrelevant. Look forward to your next go at Ultra.

• Options

@Robert Sabo ballsy attempt on a shitty day. I love the grit and the smarts to pull the plug. Sometimes I enjoy failures like these (my own) more than an easy course, perfect weather, walk in the park.

Like Tim said, looking forward to seeing your next attempt at whatever.