Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

August Beacham Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Just finishing the outseason, beginning get faster in two weeks. 

Your Races

• 03/25/2018. Olympic. Lava man 
  • Ironman Arizona (TBD) #IMAZ_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/04/2017   
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
  • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/19/2018
  • On 8/13/2017 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/18/2018
  • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/16/2018
  • On 12/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
  • On 1/14/2019 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/10/2019

Coach Notes

Okay, plan loaded above but I want you that I don't think you should do the OLY plan specifically as I favor the OutSeason Plan more...so you and I will need to work in some swimming and a short taper for you! Then we'll head into the Bike Focus plan, the Get Fast Plan and your actual EN*Full Plan. It's a big year but I think this version of your plan will really help you be successful!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Coach P,  thank you for the season planning guide.  I somehow missed a big part of the season!  I am also signed up for IM Santa Rosa on May 12.  My A race is still Arizona.   Santa Rosa is more of a practice race, although I still want to do well!  They are 6 months apart and I feel that is enough time in between,  let me know what you think.  I am starting get faster this week.  If you feel I should be doing something different, let me know ASAP.  Thanks, August 
  • Options
    @August Beacham -   Yikes! Not sure how I missed that but very sorry. In that case, I would like you to be in the out season training plan. If not now (you can just start with week two) then definitely on January 8.

The only deciding factor between the two without arrested do you feel right now. If you’re rested enough the ourseason is great and will be able to get to 10 weeks before doing the EN*Full plan remainder into Santa Rosa.

If you’re still carrying some fatigue from 2017 that I’m OK having you do get fast for a little bit longer.

I am OK with you being flexible with the training here right now, but we still want you to have a good 6 to 8 We cleaned up into Santa Rosa as part of an early season volume build that we can capitalize upon later.
  • Options
    Thank you coach P, I have switched to OS run as of now.  I think the miscommunication was my fault.  I was trying to say IMAZ was more important to me that Santa Rosa and screwed up inputting into the season planner.  I consider both to be A races for me.  
  • Options
    @August Beacham - Technically it’s not your fault because you’re evil coach was making you choose one of those races. In the future I suggest that when you submit your survey that you lied to me and don’t tell me that you’re also doing Arizona. Better to surprise me later and beg for forgiveness then tell me early and ask for permission! Please keep me posted on how the out season goes, those first couple weeks are critical to make sure you get up to speed slowly enough that you adapt.
  • Options
    Thanks coach P.  I am only looking at the OS and race prep for Santa Rosa now.  After Santa Rosa we can discuss my plan for Arizona.  I watched your town hall on zwift and should have a wahoo kickr next week!  I can't wait to make the pain cave into a video arcade.
  • Options
    That is what I am talking about! The team has really been pushing hard on Swift and I think you will be super pleased with not only the experience but also the results. When you are ready be sure to join us on the Zwift group me, it’s the place to be. :-)

You're invited to my new group 'EN Zwift Chat (PSA)' on GroupMe. Click here to join: https://groupme.com/join_group/29902223/tGK5OF

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

August, hates coach Patrick here. Thanks so much for submitting your races, always happy to help.

As I look at what you've lined up for next year you've got quite a bit on your plate in the early part of the season. That said I still don't want to lose sight of what's really important which is your run durability. With early races, it's tempting to start training early.

But there's a level of work that needs to be done to prepare you for what an Ironman entails. That work is what we call run durability, and that's why I have it listed here in your season roadmap. I recommend that you go to the broader ability program exiting a little bit early to jump into the out season you'll only do a five-week block of the OutSeason Plan.

This is just enough time to get the quality work out that we need while still leaving you enough of a window to get back to the endurance. You'll train for Santa Rosa using the full plan and along the way do Oceanside. Of course we will need to talk a little bit about your goals along the way. For example, if you tell me that you want to do really well at Oceanside and you want to prioritize that zone 3/half iron work, then we have to figure that out. Certainly not an impossible problem to solve, but not one that we need to address out of the gate.

Rather, let's see how you feel going through the fall with a run durability building some of that resilience and then starting to the out season. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Your Races

• 04/06/2019 Oceanside 70.3
    • 05/11/2019 Ironman Santa Rosa 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/26/2018
    • On 10/22/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/18/2018
    • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/16/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 2/11/2019 Load the EN*Full Bike Focused to end on 5/12/2019
    • On 5/13/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/23/2019

Your Notes

last race was Santa Cruz 70.3 in 2015. Have recovered from Cardiac surgery (Afib from being a firefighter and endurance athlete) last year and have the blessing of cardiologist to return to triathlon. Fitness is lower than ever. Training for Disneyworld half marathon in January to get back into the swing of things.Up to 5 mile runs now with occasional swimming. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Arizona (TBD) #IMAZ_20
    • Ironman North American Championships - Woodlands TX (2020-04-25)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on December 9, 2019
    • On 11/4/2019  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  2/9/2020
    • On 2/10/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  5/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2019  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  7/19/2019
    • On 7/20/2019  Load the    EN Full Run Focused to end on  11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  12/20/2020
    • On 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/17/2021
    • On 1/18/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  2/14/2021
    • On 2/15/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  3/14/2021

Your Notes

TBD

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P