Home General Training Discussions
Options

NOS 2020 Run - Week 6

Its week 6 and our first test week is officially in the bag. So how did it go for you; you test, stick with RPE, or doing something different?

This week shakes things up a bit, on the type of workouts and the number of them.

Everyone now gets to do the same intervals : repeat 800s or 1 miles at Z4

Run Focus

• Both LV 1 & 3 run plan athletes increase run one extra time this week to 5-6 times ,
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with 1:30 on the long run

Bike Focus:

• LV3 adds one run
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 65-85 mins on Sunday

Note: even though we just tested, @Janyne Kizer pointed out that the next test date is right around the holidays /New Year, so you might want to be on the lookout of a 5k or 10k around then if you want to test on the road.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited December 4, 2019 2:43AM

Violated the “Run Test Rules” at the community Turkey Trot 5K last week. No warm-up, pulled out too fast by some inexperienced high school kids, and found myself blown by .5mi. Backed way down and recovered (probably could consider it completing a warm-up) and ran well over miles 2 and 3. (I beat all the kids) My time was nearly identical to last year... fine with me. I’m still not very experienced with Zn 4 intervals on the Treadmill, but I’m ready for tomorrow. Ran 5 days last week, keeping my miles just above my 2019 average.

• Options

@John Culberson Got to love the starts at most the local 5ks, etc. you'd think that most of them would all be sub 16 or faster. Way to pull it back in and and still match last years time.

As to the TM I'm still working on right sizing mine, as my treadmill vs stryd are off by a considerable amount ~ 2 mins so all my work is really at RPE.

• Options

I hope that everyone is having a great week!

Thanks for keeping us organized, @Patrick Hayden!

• Options

I find that pacing is always my Kryptonite. That was the hardest thing for me to learn when I started racing long course races.

• Options

Finished the week with a challenging 6mi run. A mile of strong headwind at the summit of a longish 6% climb. Held my TRP and was happy to have no need to go faster. Temp was a mellow 68 degrees. Still hitting my 2019 average on 4 runs/week. May try a mini-streak through the end of the year to bump my volume and split things up with frequency. Pretty tired from a couple of hard bikes this week.

• Options

Great job @John Culberson, got to love those temps and keeping consistent across 2019. I've been a bit less consistent since the holidays and coming of my last IM race. Trying to start building that consistency back up now, and plan to use the holiday run challenge to help some there.