Home General Training Discussions
Options

NOS 2020 Run - Week 8

Well its official we are over 1/2 way done with the OS. How are we doing? Is the fatigue starting to build, or are you still feeling good?

I know its the holiday season, so it's a good time to toss out a few reminders. If you miss a session or two that's okay, if its a matter of moving a few things around to squeeze it back in go ahead and move things. However, don't over due it to get all the workouts back in, the extra fatigue will only multiply the cost to you in the long run. If your busy/getting ready to travel, remember that while we strive to get the runs/rides in, it doesn't always happen, roll with it and try to get some consistency in even if its just a few easy runs. This is why we see things like the holiday run challenge.

So whats in store for use this week? Well its pretty close to last week with a few very minor changes:

Bike Focus:

• 5/5/6 are the numbers to remember for # of times to run this week (note: lv1's this is an extra one for you)
  • Intensity: We stick with repeat miles and some 1/2 miles for Lv1
  • Weekend: You run after the bike for 70-90 mins on Sunday so up 5 mins for everyone

Run Focus

• 5/5/6 are the number to remember for the # of times to run this week (LV1/2/3)
  • Intensity: We stick with repeat miles and some 1/2 miles for Lv1
  • Weekend: you run both Sat and Sun, with Sat @ - 1:30 on the long run and Sun @ - 45 post the C&C ride

Stay staff folks and remember to have a happy holidays.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

3 x 1-mile for me today. I've become a lot slower as I have aged, and as I have done long course IM over the past 8 years. My former marathon partner has become a much faster runner then we ever were together, and I want to rediscover some of that earlier speed, so I push this Wednesday run every week at the track. My base goal is always to run negatives and (training with Stryd power zones) run at or above the zone targets. The stretch goal is to improve week-over-week.

Today was no exception at the track. Last week I ran the 2 x 1-mile in around 8:20/8:15 and the 2 x 1/2-mile at a 8:0x/7:5x pace.

This week for the 3 x 1-mile (4') the Finalsurge 1-mile pace for 4 track laps were (Stryd power in parenthesis) 8:17/mi (262), 7:58/mi (270), 7:58 (272).

Lots of 2019 records on TrainingPeaks as well for that run. Could be the best run for years. Needless to say I'm quite grateful for the results.

As I write this I've set a goal to nail down a third 70.3 for 2020, this one early season before the heat. I already have Traverse City (late August) and Memphis (early October). I'm evaluating Choo 70.3 (May), Connecticut (May), Galveston (April) and others, looking at the top 3 podium times to see what the races typically do in the 65-69 male age group (know your competition).

I'm making good progress with the NOS but have a lot of hard work ahead to reach my goal of being on the podium.

• Options

Well, I'm on semi restriction for the time being. I saw my PT and the verdict was something along the lines of "stuck hip." We did some dry needling and scraping (not my favorite!). I was given some exercises and was put on restriction for "a few days" and then cautioned to not go back to 100% but to build into things somewhat gradually. I clarified that something like a 30 minute ride on Saturday would be OK and he confirmed that was the case. I may see him next week but with the holidays, it may be the week after. I am to wait and see how I feel in the morning before scheduling. He said that if I feel 90% or so, to wait until the 2nd, otherwise, try to get in on the 24th. I also confirmed that walking is OK. I was told to be mindful of engaging the glutes.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer - take it easy and get better. Better to walk and do some light biking then aggravate anything.