Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Lynsey Ekema Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Watch the Video]

Your Races

• Charleston Triathlon Sprint Series

Your Notes

First timer. Want to do sprint triathlon October 19th, 2019 in Sumter, SC (indoor swim). Have a history of stress fractures in right front foot - came back to road cycling last May 2019. Starting cycling first, then incorporated running, now swimming.4 mile run, 45 mins. 

16.5 mile bike in 1 hour. 

1000 yards, 22 mins swim in indoor pool. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 16, 2019

• Short course plan to end on 10/20/2019
  • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
  • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
  • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
  • On 1/6/2020 Load the Bike Focused OutSeason®  Plan (TBD)

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

1. Being able to positively inspire others on the power of 'anything is possible that you put your mind to'. I have my first ever sprint triathlon this weekend... I WILL complete it. I did not think I could even run 3 miles over a month ago.
    2. Time... I am a board certified medical illustrator full time. I work in the Center for Instructional Innovation at Augusta University with virtual reality, augmented reality, medical animations, and creative problem solving, and assisting faculty to create vast and profound student experiences. I own a horse farm on the side and compete in Equestrian Triathlons (Eventing), and I also run my own freelance marketing business. I am married, have two dogs, three horses, and no children. My home is 40 minutes from the pool and 35 minutes from work - trying to accomplish all my training or 'to do list' in 24 hours can be quite the chore... as I write this as 12:33 am.... hence my workplace has dubbed me 'full throttle'.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2019 11:17PM

Lynsey, Good luck this weekend! I would love to hear about your race experience! Chat with me here in your Coach Thread or schedule a call here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/

Let me know how I can help.

Top 5 things to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learning and the EN community. 

#1 First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

I see that you are already set up in Final Surge. Your workouts are posting and you have made some comments. Nice work! To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story. 

#2 Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

The data together with the comments, give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#3 Customize your workouts Final Surge

When you are ready you can run a 5k time trial or race and use your average heart rate during the event to set you customized workout zones. 

You will do some run and bike tests this week. You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

#4 Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone and join in the Team chat - races, training, questions, accountability. You name it. 

#5 Learn More About Your Plan. Videos! Too easy!

• Run Durability Training Plan Guidance (PDF)

Learn EVEN more about your plan(s).

All of our plans are listed here: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#rdp

Use the link to Run Durability on the right - or just scroll 3/4 of the way down the page.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Thank you Matt!!!

About 6 weeks ago I decided to try a sprint triathlon and thus I was following the training plan here when possible: https://sarahfit.com/4-week-sprint-triathlon-training-plan/

I FEEL GREAT! And excited!

I know I can bike 40 miles and finish strong, I know I can run 5 miles in 45 minutes, and I know I can swim 1200 yards (Only 300 required)! I just have to follow the EN short course instructions and not get too bull headed and go too fast for the sprint so that I do not burn out by going too fast or up hills.

It’s going to be cold (45 degrees outside) - stagger start at 8:30 am... so thank goodness for a heated pool but it’s outside! I do not have a wet suit but I have a tri-suit and windbreaker. The transitions will be my first time doing them but I’ve been asking fellow triathletes for tips and tricks. Sumter has a ‘newbie’ intro session tomorrow night before the race demoing transition set up and answering any questions. I am arriving tomorrow afternoon (2 hour drive) and getting a look around the course both bike and run as well as transition areas as allowed 5-8pm.

I have volunteered for a few events so I know the gist of the process and best practices.

I just should have found EN 12 weeks out and not 2 hehe! I will try this event and have a base for what I need moving onwards. I’m completely new to this! This will be an adventure for sure! I have no idea what to ask yet do any tips that aren’t obvious are the helpful sort right now. My GI will be a killer for the run by phase 3 so I know I want to follow the nutrition guidelines well.

thank you for your support and welcome into EN!

• Options

Lynsey, we are glad you found us! Here is a crash course. It might be a lot to take in, so maybe focus on 1 or 2 aspects - whatever resonates with you.

Our 4 keys racing.

1. The race is all about execution, not fitness. Concentrate on finding your sustainable pace - ignore what everyone around you is doing. The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.) You just do you.
    2. The Line. Nothing matters until you get to the last half of the run. A successful race = a good run. Which means being in control on the bike. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split.
    3. The box. All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line?" Just keep asking yourself "What do I need to be doing right now?" - it will help you stay focused all day.
    4. The One Thing.  During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away. This is really starting to get old and very painful." Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. 

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+101%2c+Lesson+%231%3a+Four+Keys+Overview - this is the long version for your future reference.

Here are some easy "wins":

• Find an easy rhythm swimming. Your aerobic pace will be good enough.
    • Bring a towel and dry off as best you can after the swim. With a 45 degree start time temp - you will be even colder on the bike if you are wet. Take the time. It will make that bike sooo much better.
    • Dial back the effort initially on the bike. You will see folks going really hard from the beginning. Do the opposite. Take the first 20-30 minutes to just ride your bike. It will take your body that long to just from swimming. Your heart rate will be higher than normal - just let things settle for those few minutes and this will set up a better run experience.
    • Write a post race report/experience/story. Good, bad, fun, not fun, stuff you learned, stuff you did well and would do again. Leave it here in your Coach Thread then you will always have it.

Go get 'em!

I can't wait for the story!😀🏊️🚴‍♂️🏃‍♀️

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema - How did your race go?

• Options

😄

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! I had a PR for my run of a 9:20 pace for the three miles. Finished strong! The day of I arrived and drove the bike course, checked out all my exits and transitions, and then drove the run course.

Won the Athena and if I had done my age group I would have won that! I thought I would come in at 8 minutes in the swim, take 4 minutes for each transition, but the only thing I guesstimated correctly on was the bike. I was wrong and better prepared for the whole event than I thought.

Although - many told me I was nuts to do a 4 week training plan and should have done 12 weeks (I know better now!)

Cold - I couldn't feel my feet until about a half mile into the run. My hands were a bit numb on the bike (even with gloves). But the rain stayed away.

The run I thought was sooooo slow when I was actually running - but it turned out to be faster! I made some great new beginner tri friends and I hope they will join with EN as well.

WHAT IS NEXT!? I think a sprint tri in Florida if possible!

-L

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Congratulations! 😀👊

I'm glad the rain stayed away! You are a natural. What a way to get started. Boom!

• Options

Thank you!!! I am very focused and dedicated. I guess we can discuss as a part of the call I set up?

Questions I have...

1. How to keep training during the 'off season'
    2. How to improve running phase?
    3. Should I be following the current workout emails I am being sent?
    4. Places with good open water swim?
    5. Recovering from event - muscle soreness.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2019 7:35PM

Whoops - ok. I had two accounts by mistake... trying to figure out how to combine or remove one.

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema super cool to talk with you today.

I'm working on the link to Coach Patrick's video on Post Race Recovery.

Here is the link to beginner / Get Started with Zwift video. See Coach Patrick's video at the beginning of this thread. He does screen cast of a Zwift ride and talks through the whole setup and riding experience.

Highlights:

#1 Add a swim on Monday if you want. Drills and pull buoy to start. There is a swim supplement in Final Surge if you are looking for more workouts. Here is a ebook that goes through some drills and swimming technique and you can add some open water sighting practice while you are in the pool.

Drills: https://app.box.com/s/q50ds6x5j9

Video and notes on open water sighting: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Open+Water+Swim+Tips

Swimming ebook: Swim Faster eBook [Phase Two: How to Get Faster, with Worksheets]

All of these are available here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Swimming+Master

#2 We want you to find a workout pattern that fits your schedule - the "big picture" goal is to be as consistent as possible. The workouts have a progressive structure and offer some variety to keep things interesting while being repeatable - so you can measure progress (i.e. "I did 4x 200 this week and next week did 5x 200, then 5x 200 a bit faster etc.)

#3 Try out this first 2-3 weeks. Chat me up here or schedule another call. Let's talk about what worked, what didn't and how we can can make it better.

#4 Use the comments to capture how you felt and goals for next time. You can also note your effort level, what you ate and start to find a source or cause of any GI distress. It is also a good way to measure your progress - you can use the notes from a previous week to set a goal for next week's workout. You will get to understand how you respond to training and get a better insight to yourself as an athlete.

#5 I am working on the link to that recovery video. I'll post it in your thread if I can get access to it.

#6 Watch tech. Looking at Garmin run watches that can used in the water. This is kinda a whole science project with features but we briefly looked at Garmin 235 (good for running water resistant enough but no swim function) and Garmin 735 xt (good for running and open water/pool swimming). Watch some videos and reviews. Ask around. You could even post a forum thread (the team loves to talk tech). Just tell folks who you are, what you want out of the watch and Boom! Crowdsource your answer. Either in the forum or the GroupMe.

#7 Zwift internet connection? Great question for Zwift - I'm really interested in their answer.

Other thoughts: Good experience on first triathlon. Likes heat. This first triathlon was cold. Hands and feet didn't thaw out until part way into the run! (Gotta love late season triathlon!) Felt tight on the run - could have been from the cold. Thought she was running slow - but looked at the pace at the end and it was was faster than expected! No GI problems. GI has been a limiter to the run in the past. Need more insight and feedback from running and diet to make a connection or recommend a solution. *Use the comments in Final Surge to help isolate the issue. Seeing improvement in cycling from addition work in swimming and running. A bit scared of the ocean open water swim - looking to practice more open water swimming in lakes, then calmer ocean (No swimming in the Augusta canal! Yuk!) Looking at doing Daytona Sprint in December put on by Challenge. Lake swim. Wants to add a second swim day to training.

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema #5 Follow up. Here is that video from Coach Patrick on Post Race Recovery.  https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/m9mtv9sfsw

FYI. Just to give you an idea....This is an example of the additional content that is available to you as a TeamEN member. He typically does one a month. There is a whole library of them. As a PlanEN member you get the most current one per month - TeamEN gets the whole library. Enjoy!

• Options

How are you feeling after your race?

• Options

Thank you for checking in!

So... second week into the run durability and I can already see I'm going to have to switch the training to more bike/swim than run. I woke up this am and thought I had another stress fracture in the foot. I have had 3 different ones over the last few years and if possible, would I be able to swap out a few runs for either longer cycling or swim days? This would be ideal as to aim more towards fitness gain in other low impact for the foot. I can do run days and make them fast but I can't run at all if my foot bones re-break.

In writing down notes - the GI irritation has been mostly related to days where I have more dairy. So that's easy to figure out.

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Thanks for checking in. With your injury history, we need to rest that foot for sure. More swimming and biking is a great idea until it feels normal. Give it week after normal before you test it on a run - just to make sure. We can also dial back your long run. Ideally, we would like to build some durability to your foot so you can sustain running. But we need to allow your foot to slowly adapt to the stress of running.

I loaded an alternate plan for you (see March 3 2020 and beyond) - take a look at it as an option. It has a lot more biking intervals and 2x swims and 3x runs per week. But all the runs are under an hour. There is an interval day on Wed, but instead of running fast those days - I would recommend running the interval at your normal run pace and then running easy or walking during the recovery. This interval day will be your longest run day - most time on your feet - but you won't stress your foot trying to run fast. The rest interval will be used to extend this time on your feet and length of the run - so you exit this training block with the foot/run durability you need to set up you spring and summer training, basic swim fitness and some great bike fitness.

Take a look at those workouts and let me know if that will work for you. If so, I will move that whole training block up - to start in the next 1-2 weeks once your foot is better.

Let me know what you think.

• Options

Hey again - this looks great! I looked at March 3rd and beyond and that looks much more doable.

thanks so much for doing that!

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema I changed up your Season Plan. You are now on a modified OutSeason plan - with a bit less running and adding a swim supplement. Rest your foot like we talked about. Starting back too soon - might another flare up. The swimming is optional. Use your best judgement - we are in this for the long haul. Good work = work you can absorb and get stronger from. This plan as plenty of variety - but enough similarity between weeks that you can see some progression. Keep checking in and let's get to work! Talk to you soon. ~matt

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema How is the foot coming along?

• Options

Hey Matt! I stupidly ran on it Friday cause it was feeling good! It's hurting a lot today. Mostly because I walked to the pool yesterday in really crummy shoes.

I'm thinking I'll stick to swimming and biking for the next two weeks? Do an icing regimen. Etc. Let it really heal up.

Thoughts?

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Bummer. Sticking to swimming and biking for at least the next two week is great idea. It will get enough mobility just from walking around - avoid the crummy shoes. After the two weeks, try the elliptical - a couple of times (the similar motion to running, without the total load of running) then progress to the treadmill for a run walk. Give it some more time before you test it on a run outside - just to make sure. If if hurts again...it could be time to see the doctor.

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema How is the foot? Nice work with the biking and swimming.

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Thanks for sharing improvements so far and how we can help you. I'd like to hear more about your foot so we can think about how to best prepare for Daytona. How does your foot feel walking around and biking?

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Just checking in on you. I saw you ran a bit last week. How is the foot?

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Did you see that Daytona Challenge has an Aquabike option?

• Options

Hey @Lynsey Ekema How did the Daytona race go BTW?

I saw your chat about how awesome it would be to have have a mentor or buddy system or small group texts.

We do have something like that! Have you checked out our GroupMe groups. We use the GroupME smartphone app, and have several groups chats going. The Run Group - is our best accountability group. They share their progress, ask / answer questions. The EN 24/7 is also popular for getting quick questions answered.

You can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. 

How about our forums for getting questions answered and finding a mentor.

You still have access to all of our forums - where all the other members hang out and talking training and racing. That's part of the TeamEN experience Just like after your races - when you meet all the other athletes and share tips etc. It is a great place to post a question or read what other folks have posted. Check it out here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Coach Patrick has a video about Plan vs. Team:  https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/jtg6n8u2a4

What do you think? Do any of these interest you? Are you looking for something else?

Matt

• Options

@Lynsey Ekema Give those forums a chance again. Brenda gave you access again for another month.

How about our forums for getting questions answered and finding a mentor.

You still have access to all of our forums - where all the other members hang out and talking training and racing. That's part of the TeamEN experience Just like after your races - when you meet all the other athletes and share tips etc. It is a great place to post a question or read what other folks have posted. Check it out here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Coach Patrick has a video about Plan vs. Team: https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/jtg6n8u2a4

matt