Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Bill Bejin's plan

Coach -

Stalked you all day Sunday.  Super impressive.  

As we discussed last week, I'm looking for some guidance on the next couple of weeks.  Starting Labor day weekend.  We are heading to VA Beach.  Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon on Sunday (9/3) Leaving for Lake Placid on 9/7.  HIM in LP on 9/10.  How do I shuffle the plan / last RR with this in mind.  Any suggestions on strategy in LP 70.3?  Race, treat it like a training day?  

Thanks and great job in IMMT

Comments

• Options
    edited August 26, 2017 11:50PM
    @William Bejin -  thanks for the kind words! It was quite a day, and I'm very glad it's over. :-)

ID will you do the race rehearsal for Placid this weekend. I'm telling you a bit late, but now's the time to do it. Once you are on the road to the beach, you should really be tapering for the half. It be nice to have you  start smart for the first six and then finish strong in the last six… Your math maybe better than mine!

Get on the bike again to stay loose after the half and shake the legs out. If there's some options in open water do it. Then you are in taper for Lake Placid -  regular training week through Wednesday, drop the Thursday long run fever of a brick: 60 minute bike, 30 minute run both steady with a few race efforts. Swim on Friday and then Saturday off before the race.

yes I would like you to race it. Racing on that course means a smart swim, fast transition, smart out of town until you're at the bottom of the dissent. There you can lock in your titties pace all the way to ossicle for some back. Be smart on the hills over to Wilmington,  and then I want you to work pretty hard on the way back into town. Don't question so for the uphills be steady there but strong at the top and PUSH all of the downs in the flats. This will get your heart rate up and still give you room to fuel up early on the bike. 

early miles of the run are free as you go downhill, find your legs and eat and drink. Really really eat and drink those first 3 miles. Then get into your groove to the turn around and for those last 6 miles into town it's all work. Chin up, eyes on the top of the hill working those arms -- get it done.

As I mentioned on the text line, then recover for Monday and then we want to get one last steady long ride in to shake out the legs before Choo. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Uh, I don't understand.  You must have dictated this.  Not sure what you are getting at.  Rode 100 today, ran 4.  It was good.  Fuel and hydration were where I want and heart rate was excellent.  Ran HR off the bike and kept it within the 10 - 15 bpm for 3 of the 4 and then let it go.  Averaged 7:35 / mile.

A little clarification on the note above would be great.
  • Options
    All of that being said, I'm interested in how to balance all of this out given that I am racing in IMChoo.
  • Options
    @William Bejin

Good to catch up with you yesterday. Here's that Heart Rate image I was talking about....you can see how the run was in thirds by HR....(1) when you tried to run your pace, but HR hated you (2) when you settled in to what was sustainable (3) when you met Pat and finished with him. 

In the future, I think that just throwing out your desired run pace for HR will be the better play...you might have beaten the calculator if those first six miles weren't so costly. Just a thought!

Moving forward with your year, here is what I see....

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• 7/29/2018 70.3® OHIO
    • 8/12/2018 70.3® Steelhead 
    • 4/22/2018 Glass City Marathon 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/19/2017 
    • On 10/23/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/19/2017
    • On 11/20/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
    • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/23/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/6/2018
    • On 5/7/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 07/29/2018
    • On 7/30/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 08/12/2018
    • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/26/2018
    • On 8/27/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/23/2018

Coach Notes

How to Train This (And Every Fall) Inside Endurance Nation GroupMe Chat for RDP 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/r9qxgvw94k

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@William Bejin

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Bill, so..here we go! I say we do the OutSeason plan for eight weeks to get some quality bike intervals in there as a baseline addition to your regular runs (and as a bookmark for later IM training). Then we'll toggle over to the Ultra plan (you and I can modify as needed) and then back to the IM plan to Tremblant.

Additional Rules:

• In this OS period we want to focus on a weekly run volume of 25-ish miles
    • We want to maintain (or build to) a long run of about 90 minutes...doesn't have to be FAST, just consistent. If we need to do this every other week or every 10 days, let's see how "hard" this is on you with the OS training.
    • In the Ultraplan, I'll want to modify that to include some cycling as an additional aerobic component (and so we don't lose bike fitness). Could be as small as 1 quality WKO mid week and one "bike bike weekend" every month (as you recover from prior week's run volume).

Your Races

• 6/1/19 - Lighthouse 50 52 mile run
    • Ironman 70.3 Muncie (2019-07-14) #70.3Muncie_19
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2019-08-25) #IMMT_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/16/19
    • On 1/14/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/21/2019
    • On 3/11/2019 Load the UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 6/2/2019
    • On 6/3/2019 Load the EN Full Bike Focused to end on 8/18/2019
    • On 8/19/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019

Your Notes

Haven't raced since the fall. Ran 2030 miles in 2018. No bike since September 2018, no swim since September 2018. Just started back on the bike. Still no pool. Started a strength and conditioning program in September. Last triathlon was Ohio 70.3 - 5:39:20 without a lot of hard training.Average run distance per week since the beginning of September, 47. No bike, I did just bike test. Just started back doing some speed work on the run.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@William Bejin - great to talk yesterday! And excited you are already plugged into GroupMe and you've met @Gabe Peterson . You probably saw his picture from his house yesterday, so you hate him just like the rest of us. 👍

I know you mentioned the 2017 OS runs...they were pretty straightforward, image attached here:

Finally, the strength stuff you wanted to know add to the program as well. I have added our Functional Strength program to the next 8 weeks...let's see how it plays out. Please let me know if you have any questions!

~ Coach P

• Options

@William Bejin did I see on the Ultra groupme that you're doing Zion 50k?

• Options

Yes. Heading out for the Zion 50k. I'm not much of a trail runner. I have done a couple 50k training runs on the roads and one 50 mile - on the roads. Should be a good time. My wife is doing the half marathon that day as well. We're very excited!

What event are you doing?

• Options

@Bill Bejin Zion should be a blast! I'm doing the 100k. It's a qualifier for Western States for the first time this year. I figured I'd get my ticket punched early so I don't have to worry about it later. I've heard good things about the race from my Utah homies.

• Options

@Gabe Peterson looks like @Bill Bejin is out wintering you right now! 😱

• Options

@Coach Patrick The sun is shining, the wind chill is -30 and all of the schools are closed for the 4th day. No mail delivery yesterday or today! The good news is they can't deliver any bills when there is no mail!

• Options

You are definitely living the dream! It was great to follow your progress in the bad weather. Way to get it done on the treadmill 👍

• Options

@Bill Bejin

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

I've been very happy with the training so far. Went to FL for a little break from the weather (and celebrate my birthday). Seemed like the runs at the gym were getting easier at faster paces and wanted to test out if it was 'real' or if it was calibration issues on the treadmill. It is REAL! Ran 9 miles just above 7:30 pace. Came home with a wicked cold that cost me a few days of training. I feel like this is the first week 'back' and feeling good. Did the VO2 on the bike and 3x1 mile @ 7:00 pace on the mill and felt great.

5 weeks to the Utah road trip that starts with a 50k at Zion. I feel great! I have made it a priority to strength 3x per week and I believe all of the squats, deadlifts, planks, kettlebell toss, lunges, etc are really paying off. I feel strong and now it is time to add some longer stuff to get ready for Zion. I am a true convert to the value of strength training in conjunction with the SBR.

All I need is for Old Man Winter to go back to the North Pole. . . all I ask is for seasonable temps. Damn it's cold!

• Options

@Bill Bejin

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

@Bill Bejin - Great call today...thanks for your time!

You are in Week 5 Of the Ultra plan already 😱So we do need to stay on track. Here's what I meant for the overarching plan of attack.

• 2 weeks to adapt....This is where we add in some recovery spinning to keep you rolling with the new miles.
    • 2 weeks to grow...This is where we add some "big gear" work to challenge you without it being too much.
    • Then we move to doing some bike work...the Sweet Spot Plus stuff...I have only just put it in for one week...so keep me posted on how that goes and we can adjust as needed.

Also, I transitioned you on the weekend running with some "prerun" cycling...I think that will do you right!

• Options

I bought Pat Wards Zipp 808's. Is the wind going to be an issue to the point that I should not use the 808 on the front wheel? I am currently checking in at 145lbs. I can use my stock front wheel if necessary - I'm not interested in crashing - EVER!

• Options

@Bill Bejin 145#???? OMG that light 😱

You will be fine. The winds in tremblant are consistent, not gusty. Things only get dangerous with a deep front wheel when there’s gusty winds like you would get on the coast.

In other words, in that region when you’re riding into wind it will be consistently from one single direction. For example, it will be from 2 o’clock on the dot or 5 o’clock on the dot or 9 o’clock at the dial. You can adjust your weight distribution accordingly to make sure that you’re still riding smoothly, and honestly the effect of that wind on your wheels will actually make you faster.

You need to get those wheels on your bike ASAP to make sure the brakes are good, that your brake calipers can handle the different rooms, and that you get a couple sessions outside before the big day. I hope you’ve done the research by looking up all of our tremblant materials!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Other Running Race Lighthouse 100, May 30  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on December 23, 2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
    • On 1/13/2020 Load the UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 5/30/2020

Your Notes

Have taken the last three weeks basically, off. Hiking and a once a week run and a once a week trip to the gym. Just starting to get back into the business.  

Ran 1/2 at Detroit Freep (10/20) Marine Corp Marathon (10/27) and finished the season with IMFL (11/2) Since it has been R&RNeed to drop 5lbs, get back into speed and tempo work for upcoming 100 mile.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P