Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Hydration/nutrition alternatives

Currently, I use infinit and really have no complaints. I was wondering about the differences infinit, tailwind and sfuels. What do you like/dislike? What are your thoughts about the real nutritional values of these different products? I like infinit because you can create custom blends and track osmolality to ensure an isotonic solution. One thing I don't like is I have to burp on the run in almost every race. I wonder if the other two taste better and/or if you had better results.

paging @Sheila Leard lol

Comments

• Options

I use Infinit on the bike, but not on the run. While running, especially as hard/fast as you do, it's best IMO to keep the intake as simple as possible - no protein, no solids. I think you basically just want to be asking your GI system to be taking in water and some simple sugar. Anything more is taking blood flow from your muscles, where it's needed. For an IM, I used to do diluted Gatorade Endurance. For shorter races, water + Gatorade.

For slower runners (like I have become this year), then, yeah, getting more variety into the gut may actually help. But for you, your system starts to rebel at the extra work it's being asked to do...

• Options

@Al Truscott makes sense. Yea I usually don't drink infinit on my run. I'll probably end up drinking GE the last 30 min or so of my bike so I may not have them GI/burping issues on the run this time. We shall see. Thanks for the advice!

• Options

@Carl Alleyne Use what works for you, which sounds like Infinite on the bike. New products will always be entering the market. I haven't tried Dave Scott's new line called SFuels. I may order some just to see whats out there.

Whatever you decide to fuel with just try to match it to your physiology. Your first consideration is your high sweat rate.

I personally use NBS with Cluster Dextrin mixed in. This is the carb that is in SFuels and First Endurance EFS-Pro. I buy cluster dextrin it in bulk. Simple and easy. Infinite is my second choice. For the run - sips of gel, water, coke, Red Bull.

There is some valid research on the use of BCAA's for fighting fatigue. This makes Infinite a good choice if you can also drink enough water to stay hydrated.

• Options

@Sheila Leard Makes sense. Infinit having BCAA's intrigued me when I first saw it as well.

• Options

I really like Tailwind, though I found that on the bike I needed to supplement with a gel every 45 minutes or so to get extra calories. I love the lemon and plain flavors. I've had a hard time with long course racing when using Gatorade/gel -- I get soooo tired of the sweetness that I end up not getting enough calories, and I get the dreaded gut rot.

Tailwind fixed the gut rot, and I've switched to Huma gels -- they're not as sweet, and they have a nice consistency.

I've also found that going this route on the bike lets me keep the run simple -- I can do on-course stuff because I haven't killed my stomach (and taste buds!) on the bike.

• Options

@Catherine Branch Thanks for the input. I'm going to try Tailwind just to see test it out.

• Options

@Sheila Leard did this tag work for you now?

@Coach Patrick testing...

• Options

sorry @Coach Patrick no tags for me.

• Options
    Sheila - so no email notification that I tagged you? That is what I’m
    trying to clear up. Sorry for the confusion.

HNY!

~ Coach P

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 22:12 Sheila Leard <
    teamenforums+d26196-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Sheila Leard mentioned you in Hydration/nutrition alternatives
    >
    > sorry @Coach Patrick no tags for me.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/281445#Comment_281445
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Correct @Coach Patrick I never get an email when tagged or when I bookmark a thread.

• Options

I get the email notifications on all comments on this thread

• Options

Hi @Carl Alleyne I use Huma gels lol