Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eric Ensminger Official Coach Thread

@Eric Ensminger

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

After 2015 IM Wisconsin took a new job in Chicago working for United Airlines

2016.  Half Iron and Olympic race.  Nothing special.

Took 2017 to run.  Was gifted a Boston Marathon slot.  4:30 on a weak execution of training plan on a  hot day.  Tempe Olympic tri.  Solid delivery considering no swim or bike training to speak of.  Do not recommend. Chicago Marathon 4:55 on even poorer training execution.  

2018:  Refocus and deliver.

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2018-06-10) #70.3WI_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on January 24, 2018
  • On 1/22/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/18/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 2/5/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, do L2 workouts, 14wks to end on 5/13/2018\
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 4/9/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/22/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 06/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/24/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 6/18/2018 Load the EN*Full to end on 9/9/2018, do the Level 2 workouts. 
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018

Coach Notes

Eric, great to have you back an on the inside again (sorry for the friction!).  Next step is to get to training!!!

I have you doing 2 weeks of Session 2 of the Run Durability Program and then jumping early into the February OutSeason Plan. You'll do the first two phases of the OS and then bounce into the EN*Half Plan to get ready for Wisco...who knew June was around the corner!?!!?!!?  Please let me know what you think...and don't hesitate to set up a "get back to EN call" with me: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min.

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    • What will make you consider 2018 a success?
    Sub 6 hour half ironman.  I have executed 6 right around 5:40, and the last one at 6:30.  Need to recognize to balance and execute training plan.  Age takes a few minutes, great planning and strategy can help bring this goal to life.
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?
    Lack of structure in training plan.  Working out, tends to be what I feel like, not what I need to do.  Need to get into the head of training for racing.
  • Options
    @Eric Ensminger -  thanks for the feedback, I think your goals are interrelated.

First, since you have the experience of going faster now we just need to give you the Fitness to do so. That’s part of what we will work on earlier this year.

Second, no more shooting from the hip on race day. As we get older, we need to use the Gile, cunning, and savvy to make sure we are fast even if our bodies don’t fully cooperate!

Third, the best path to achieve both of those goals is consistency. Right now you are in the run durability program which is still a little flexible but the upcoming out of season program will absolutely give you what you need to be successful. The week Is very focused and detailed and the effort’s build incrementally from week to week.

For right now, let’s just get you out there doing something every day so we start warming the engine for the work to come.
  • Options
    Training is going well for 70.3 Wisconsin in 2 weeks.  Brick run in 90 degree heat yesterday was solid.  

I think my entry fee came with a free psych eval for full Ironman WI in Sept which will be my 5th full.  Thinking of doing NYC full marathon too as a fun run with friends in November should sort that out in the next two weeks.
  • Options
    @Eric Ensminger   :p:D:D 

You are a funny guy! The data from your break room should be pretty instructive, and you should absolutely be ready for some pretty solid heat on race day. I think we all managed to somehow just skip spring and dive right into summer and I expect all races this year to be pretty hot. So please plan accordingly.

Let me know if you need to make any adjustments to your season plan based off of information you just gave me. Or we can wait until after the half when you have a better sense of what the fall will look like. 

Either way, let me know. In the meantime, let’s stay steady on the run and look ahead to the end of July when hopefully you’ll have a chance to put in a little block of bigger bike Volume. 
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Yesterday at IM WI 70.3 was okay.  Swim was tough with light chop. biked a bit too hard with 2.7k of climbing.  Run was okay. Not my best, and left everything out there.

Plan side.
    Definitely need to change.
    Adding IM WI Sept 9 for sure
    Adding NYC Marathon Nov 4.  75% sure

Should I be looking at a half iron for prep in late July or Aug?
    Ohio Jul 29
    Steelhead Aug 12

• Options
    @Eric Ensminger  - Congratulations on the race. I hope you write up a true Race report at some time!

I have amended your Roadmap ^above^ as follows -- you'll recover this week from the half, then do the final 10 weeks into Wisconsin. Only edit would be to find a way to get in some bigger bike volume over an early weekend to spike that fitness....let me know if that would work for you?

We can talk about NYC once we are closer to Wisco!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Hi Patrick!  Will write that up this week.  Thanks for the plan update.  Wisco will be a fun 3rd go at one of my favorites!
  • Options
    Last question for now, when you put Full Level 2 in there, I am assuming you meant the 

2017 EN*Full, Intermediate plan.

• Options
    Patrick,

On for IMWI Sept 9 (currently week 15).  Training for the Swim and Run are tracking fine.  I have had significant issues on my bike training due to multiple mechanical issues with my 2011 Cervelo P3 which now has a cracked frame - unsafe.  i have a old fuji road bike that I have cobbled together to get me through some training and new bike coming 8/17 or week of 8/20.

I have been averaging 100 miles per week on the bike but nothing longer than 2 hours/35 miles at a pop.

Here is what I am thinking as adjustments on weekends the bike side leaving run/swim as planned

Scheduled weekday rides +
    8/11 80 mi
    8/12 80 mi
    8/18 race rehearsal - MOWS Madison Open Water Swim - 2.4 miles on IMWI Course, 112 miles on IMWI Bike
    8/19 40 mile ride

The thought is that i will finish as I have before but it will be a gut it out day on 9/8.  Taking it very easy on the bike to not blow out my run.  No expectations per se on finish.

Thoughts?  Changes?

• Options
    Eric - 

Bummer about the frame, but I’m glad that you figured out the issue before you had a bigger problem on the race itself. Cracked frames have a way of turning out really badly if you’re not too careful!

I think you are we can do ride schedule looks pretty good, but honestly if we could get You over 100 miles on one of those days this weekend that would be great. I will be OK with 100 mile Saturday in a 60 mile Sunday. Feel free to make the last hour or so of your Saturday ride as flat as possible. Or to make the Sunday right as flat as possible.

At this point, it’s all about time in the saddle so you can build up that strength, challenge yourself mentally, and practice your nutrition.

The following weekend sounds like a blast. And I agree with that, hopefully the transition to your new bike is there in time and if it coordinates are easily dial due.

Now is the time to outline your race plan and make sure all the basic details are taken care of like nutrition and pacing target. Let me know if you need help with that. 
  • Options
    Thanks Patrick.  Will set it up this weekend for 100 and 60.

Eric
  • Options
     I will be on the lookout on Strava! :-)

#StalkerCoach #WorkWorks 
  • Options
    Okay, I hit 103 miles on 6:18 move time.  Spent about 45 min off the bike fixing saddle issues and mid point refuel.  Sunday 53 miles 3:10 move time with 30 min off fixing saddle issues.  Solid rides both set a box to keep my HR/Power in to finish very even, and hit those goals strong.  getting very close on the bike mechanical issues now.

Swam 3500 this morning, and my legs felt like logs.  No big surprise there.
  • Options
    💪 💥 that’s some legit work my friend. 

Sometimes it’s not even about the fitness benefits, but overcoming the mental barriers be placed between ourselves and what’s possible. Well done!

Remember, for those swims after the long weekends, the pool buoy is a fantastic tool. It has saved many a swim workout for me. 
  • Options
    2.4 mile swim. No Wet Suit it was 79.5 degrees. No issues, I raced Louisville back when it was still in Aug so last minute wrinkle was no issue. Garmin watch was 4,700 yards at 1:36:08 chip time cannon start. Was a bit disappointed, as calves cramped a bit on second loop. Probably from hot long run on Thursday left over. Felt strong.

Bike was 73 miles, and tough go. Did the full lollipop out, 1 lap, back with detours. Best news power meter said 50/50 split for full ride. It was 82 or so and hot.

Will be back for another go next weekend either Milwaukee/IM Madison course.

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:33 AM
    To: Eric Ensminger
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Eric Ensminger Official Coach Thread

_____

Coach Patrick commented on Eric Ensminger Official Coach Thread

💪 💥 that’s some legit work my friend.

Sometimes it’s not even about the fitness benefits, but overcoming the mental barriers be placed between ourselves and what’s possible. Well done!

Remember, for those swims after the long weekends, the pool buoy is a fantastic tool. It has saved many a swim workout for me.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2018 9:55AM
    Well done! Remember, unease longer rides when you are fatigued Nutrition) becomes more and more important. Don’t be afraid to throw some extra calories down the hatch to help your legs come around! Fingers crossed for a wetsuit swim!   😂 
  • Options

Ironman WI done. Undertrained going in. Swim and bike were both on target. Underfueled on the bike, and run was rough with too much walking. Will write a full report in the next 10 days.

Next up.

NYC Full Marathon on 11/4

Half as rehearsal in early June - Madison is close, looking for another.

IM Lake Placid 7/2019

General plan for the next 45 days is to take the marathon plan and ramp up to it with balance after that RDP/Strength this winter.

• Options

@Eric Ensminger - congratulations to you! Maybe as you recover and you could take a minute and update your profile picture of the forms? Would love to see a finish shot of you instead of this logo. 😂

do you have any specific goals for New York City? Putting an Iron Man on the calendar is a great way to get a lot of endurance but we still have time to transition you to be successful at the marathon. Let me know about those goals.

I don’t know if you are on FinalSurge or not, but you could load the last few weeks of the balanced Marathon plan into New York, then I can modify it for you. It’s a little tricky to load just a few weeks of us are in training plan, you can find instructions on how to do that on our help website here: www.endurancenation.us/help

Also could you either give me a link to your race report from Wisconsin or tell me what your nutrition plan is for the Run/Marathon?

• Options

For NYC, I want to get my long runs over the next few weeks to set a goal for time. It is to finish and run the whole way negative split even if slow to run in control.

I have not used final surge yet, however I am downloading it now.

Will load race report and thoughts and nyc plan over the next few days.

• Options

Perfect. I agree that your long runs will be the best indicator of a sustainable pace. Don’t forget that you also need to fuel those long runs so that the last half hour of each one is good! I am standing by…

• Options

@Eric Ensminger -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Thank you for debriefing me on your race from last year. Sounds like a recurring theme where the stress and challenges of work can't interrupt the good stuff you have done in your training. The best way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to create a level of fitness that you can sustain despite interruptions. The sooner we start, the better off you will be.

Of an approach of frequency really makes a big difference. First, because your goal is to do"something" regardless of what the day gives you. Even a one mile run counts! Second, because it helps you build a great baseline level of fitness across a longer period of time, one that likely transcends the traditional"12 week push" to the race itself.

For your season planned below, I have you doing the bike focus plan which builds To 4 rides a week, this can all be done on Zwift, I just want to make sure we're getting a frequency in.

In addition to the plans itself, we should plan on one or two "big ride days" where you can get a lot of aerobic time in And breakthrough that mental barrier associated with the longer rides. If you have a local Century or something else you can do, that's fine. These are just really helpful, and it's important that you have another calendar so you make room for them.

Please let me know if you need help loading these plans into your Final Surge calendar.

Your Races

• Ironman Lake Placid (2019-08-03) #IMLP_19   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/22/2019 Load the    EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/21/2019
    • On 7/22/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/18/2019
    • On 8/19/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/15/2019

Your Notes

Ironman WI as my 5th was okay. 15:20 finish. I really struggled with my bike all summer and turned out it was a broken frame. I only had 1 100+ mile ride going in. I knew i could gut out a finish and I did.

It left me with knowing I wanted more, and to do it right in 2019

May race something fun in the fall.Swimming 1600-1800 yards 2x per week

Biking Zwift riding 1 hr 2x per week, some hill work

Running 4 miles 2x per week, some speed work

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

* Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018

On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019

On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019

On 4/22/2019 Load the    EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/21/2019

On 7/22/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/18/2019

On 8/19/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/15/2019

• Options

@Eric Ensminger just checking in to make sure everything is OK !

• Options
    edited January 3, 2019 9:14PM

Yes, I am thinking that makes a ton of sense. The bike off season moved to run focused IM plan will be key for me.

Lake Placid is 7/28 so I will adjust that date.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Oshkosh Half Marathon April 26, 2020
    • Elkhart Lake Olympic June 6 2020
    • Chicago Lakes Half Iron July 26, 2020
    • Ironman Wisconsin (TBD) #IMWI_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on October 30, 2019
    •  On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/12/2020

> Transition Early <

• On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  6/7/2020
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the  -- EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on  9/15/2020
    • On 9/16/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/13/2020
    • On 10/14/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/10/2020
    • On 11/11/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/8/2020

Your Notes

6 fulls done, first in 2011, last was 2019 Lake Placid. 15:29, the bike got me hard between the heat, more climbing then I anticipated and nutrition. Setup a poor run that came back around with second half marathon 15 min faster than my first.Current fitness is early off season, continuned to swim (1500), bike (45-50 min) and run (3-5 miles) 5x a week. I have been doing some speed work in running as I was not happy with what came together for my run this year.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Patrick . It is time to get to work!

• Options

Hey Patrick, just following up here. For the plan load on 1/6: Opps missed the change. Is that the Outseason for Runners Plan or the Outseason Triatheletes plan with Run Focus?

• Options
    Eric -

It’s the OS bike focused one. Here you go:

* On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end
    on 4/14/2019

* On 4/15/2019 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019

* On 4/22/2019 Load the EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/21/2019

* On 7/22/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks)
    to end on 8/18/2019

* On 8/19/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out)
    -- 4 weeks to end on 9/15/2019