Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Liz Jackson Official Coach Thread

@Liz Jackson

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

TWO IRONMAN YEAR!!!! BOOM! I have updated your plan accordingly so you can get in the OS work you need and have time to build properly for the Half and each of the Fulls you have on the table. As your season gets longer the more "breaks" you need to stay engaged and healthy enough to keep pushing.

The goal here will be to use VA as a nice intermediary build for endurance and speed (aka Zone 3 time) such that you can handle the move to Placid training. And of course, recover and build towards CHOO.

I'm happy help you go through this on the phone if that's easier! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Virginia (2019-05-05) #70.3Virginia_19
  • Ironman Lake Placid (2019-08-03) #IMLP_19   
  • 09/29/2019 Ironman Chattanooga

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Final Surge website. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/14/19
  • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/14/2019
  • > Transition Early <
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on  5/5/2019
  • On 5/6/2019 Load the EN Full Run Focused to end on  7/28/2019
  • On 7/29/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  8/25/2019
  • On 8/11/2019 Load the -- EN*Full Bike Focused to end on  9/29/2019
  • On 9/30/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/27/2019
  • On 10/28/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/24/2019

Your Notes

Completed 6 IMs: 2013 Lake Placid in 12:39; 2014 Chattanooga 11:23; 2015 Beach 2 Battleship 11:45; 2016 Chattanooga 12:14; 2017 Wisconsin 12:34; 2018 Chattanooga 11:14 (no swim)

Usually do one 70.3 and one IM/year. This year doing two IMs. 

(BTW the date for IMLP in the "A" race drop down boxes isn't correct, and IM Chattanooga is missing completely.)Current fitness - have been running regularly since October. Have done zero swimming and only occasional biking since October. 

Ran a marathon 10/28/18, have another marathon planned for 3/17/19 where my goal is to finish not give best effort. Would rather direct my efforts to tri training.

I have been an EN member for years but don't log in often, so I'm not familiar with the Plan vs. Team vs. Coach member levels as that's new to me. I'm guessing I'm in Team EN but that's only a guess.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Liz Jackson

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Crystal Coast Half Booty 70.3 (2020-05-09)
    • Ironman 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge (2020-06-07) #70.3VirginiaBR_20
    • Ironman World Championship (2020-10-10) #IMKona_20  

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/21/2020
    • On 1/20/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  04/26/2020
    • On 3/10/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  6/7/2020
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  06/21/2020
    • On 6/15/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  07/26/2020
    • On 7/20/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  10/12/2020
    • On 10/13/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  11/09/2020
    • On 11/10/2020 Load the    Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/07/2020

Your Notes

Completed 8 IMs: 2013 - IMLP, 2014 - IMCHOO, 2015 - Beach 2 Battleship, 2016 - IMCHOO, 2017 - IMMOO, 2018 - IMCHOO, 2019 - IMLP & IMCHOO. Qualified for Kona 2020 at IMCHOO 2019 w/ 2nd place AG finish (50 - 54yo). Average swimmer, strong cyclist, not a fast runner but lots of marathon experience. No swimming since Sept 2019, little cycling in past 3 months. Have run 3 marathons since Sept 2019 - all to complete none to compete. But I'm ready to get started training for the season!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Liz Jackson

Hey Liz,

You are going to Kona! Super cool! Congratulations. I can help you get setup and load plans in Final Surge if you want help - let me know here or use the red chat button on the EN site.

Remember to give us an update on your homework,"What will make this season a success?" and "What is your current limiter?" I want to help you get the most out of your EN membership and training.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

A few thoughts on getting setup and organized.

First off, think of this as an opportunity to get fitter, smarter, and share your experience with the rest of the team. Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

#2 Get setup in Final Surge. 

If you have a Garmin account or Strava account (both free) - link ONE of them to Final Surge. Then, all your workout info will be "automagically" uploaded after every session.

Keep in mind, if you plan to ride inside on Zwift, then link your Strava account with Final Surge. Pick just one to sync. Either Garmin OR Strava! NOT both. Just one!

Otherwise, you will get double workouts uploaded.

#3 Down load the Final Surge App

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#4 Join our GroupMe chat and join the Team

Our forums and GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat, start a forum post, or just search the library.

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are a running dialogue with the rest of the Team

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

Forums

You have complete access to the entire Team, Coach Lesson Videos, Race Execution Guidance and tons of race reports to help you learn more about training and racing.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

#5 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You will eventually do run and bike tests. You don't have to do them right away. But, in the next few weeks we'll schedule one when you feel ready. Then we will use your average heart rate during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

#6 Get Stronger with the OutSeason Plan and Checkout the Opportunities to Learn How to Race Smarter

Getting Stronger on the Bike - Understanding your Training Plan Structure

All of the Training Plans are explained here. The Half IM plan is about halfway down the page. 6' video and a few short paragraphs.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#half

Check out the Opportunities To Learn:

Use the Table of Contents links at the top of the page to jump to that parts that interest you.

The 4 keys to race execution video is a good place to start. Patrick talks about

#1 Racing is Execution NOT fitness

#2 The Line - is where you start racing. For the IM, that is mile 18 of the marathon. All your decisions set up your ability to race when you get to that line. There is no such thing as a good bike split followed by a poor run. The bike sets up the run.

# 3 The Box - All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? 

# 4 One Thing - Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "This is really starting to get old and very painful. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down."

While these may seem simple, the process of pacing, adapting to conditions, and managing fueling/hydration is more detailed in the text and in the video.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Detailed Race Preparation and Planning resources (Impact of Heat on Pace calculator, Pacing with Power on the Bike, etc.)

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@Liz Jackson Coach P here. Just want to see how things are doing! Drop us a note when you get a chance.

• Options

I am all set up with Final Surge and I've loaded the training plan. I'm interested to learn about and see this app work. Thanks for the plan,

Liz

• Options

@Liz Jackson the app is great for comments and checking your schedule. I love it! Talk to you soon.