Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jay Tolin Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20  

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 29, 2019

• On 11/4/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/1/2019
  • On 12/2/2019 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
  • On 1/6/2019 Load the -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/13/2019
  • On 3/3/2020 Load the -- EN Full Bike Focused to end on 5/3/2020
  • On 5/4/2020 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/31/2020

Your Notes

Ironman Louisville 2017 11:40 Ironman Florida 2019 11:50

Decent amount of base fitness. I have been doing halves and fulls since 2016running & biking 3 to 4 times per week. Swimming 2-3 times per week

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race, etc? - You can post those to the Race Forum, for example. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out)

I see a Durability for Triathletes Phase 1. Is this the one I should do in December? I looks like a 4 week plan. Why do you say “9 months out” in parentheses?

I haven’t loaded any plan into FS prior to 12/2. I am just doing easy workouts without much structure to recover from IMFL. Monday will be one month after IMFL, and I’m ready to go!

I may ask more questions later, but now I want to make sure I have FS setup.

thanks,

Jay

• Options

@Coach Patrick Ive been looking at the schedule you set out above. It seems like I should start the Full Bike focused plan on 2/2.

Also, could I just do the OS plan now and then jump to race plan on 2/2? I’m not sure what is different about he OS versus Durability.

When you suggest doing Durability in December is that only one bike per week? No swimming. I am not too worried about the swimming, but I am concerned about building strength to get over that hill in st George.

I was thinking I would do the OS plan until 2/2 then go to the Bike focused Full race plan on 2/2. Let me know your thoughts please. I’d like to get this started this week.

thanks,

jay

• Options

@Jay Tolin Welcome! Super cool have you with us. I glad to hear you feel better and are ready to get started for your build to IM St. George. I've seen you jump into the GroupMe and connect with the rest of the team, that's awesome. Let's tackle some of your questions:

Durability Phase 1 - yes. That is the one you should get started with this week. It is a 4 week plan and it is intended to transition from unstructured training/post ironman into our more demanding training of the OutSeason. The goal for these next four weeks in consistency and frequency. We also need your feedback on the run volume and how you feel as the weeks progress. We can then dial in the right run volume progression modifications to the OutSeason to get you ready for your race specific training 10- 12 weeks out.

Why does it say 9 months out? Typically, our athletes use the run durability 9 months out and go through 3 progressive phases. This helps prevent injuries once we increase the intensity and then volume later the training cycle. The Run Durability Plan is a good transition for you from your unstructured training.

It seems like I should start the Full Bike focused plan on 2/2. Also, could I just do the OS plan now and then jump to race plan on 2/2? We want to play the long game here. Starting with Run Durability helps to progressively ramp the stress and adaptation. Additionally, the holiday period can be a bit unpredictable and put additional chaos into your training schedule. So we recommend a single Run Durability phase before we transition to the OutSeason, when we maintain our run frequency gained during the Durability Phase and shift our focus to building strength and intensity on the bike.

I’m not sure what is different about he OS versus Durability. The OutSeason Plan is primarily Bike Focused we 3 key workouts (2x interval days + weekend Always Be Pushing ride ABP). We use structured intervals that will raise your overall bike strength and aerobic capacity - all while continuing to develop your run.

We do all this work so that you can enter your final 10-12 weeks and focus on developing the endurance in longer rides and runs, along with some race rehearsals in order to practice pacing, hydration, and fueling.

When you suggest doing Durability in December is that only one bike per week? Yes, there is also a cross-training day. Since we are primarily focused on running - with consistency and frequency - we need to balance the load bearing stress of running with enough recovery. So, there is typically a bike day, plus a cross-training day. You can add another bike if you want to - but we need to make sure your body (legs) are absorbing and recovering from the running - to ensure we are getting the durability adaptation we are looking for.

....but I am concerned about building strength to get over that hill in st George. I was thinking I would do the OS plan until 2/2 then go to the Bike focused Full race plan on 2/2. We recommend starting the OutSeason bike work after new year and your durability phase. The OutSeason is really where you get stronger and then we use those last 10-12 weeks to go longer. Don't get me wrong - the long rides in the OutSeason get progressively longer so that athletes can transition their OutSeason fitness to race specific training.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

We will get you to IM St. George in two ways: First, we build your fitness with the structure of progressively challenging workouts in your Season Roadmap. Second, we make you a smarter athlete. We teach you how to execute your fitness on race day so that you can get your best out of yourself. That best effort comes from you, driving your fitness around Lake Placid - making good decisions about hydration, nutrition, and pacing. We have a ton of other members on the team doing St. George to ask for the latest advice.

Here is an example of some learning opportunities that you have as part of TeamEN. You have access to this stuff for the first thirty days so you know you can get a feel of what it is all about.

Coach Patrick has a library of 1 hour videos to make you smarter on training and race execution: http://members.endurancenation.us/Learning/CoachLessons.aspx

All of that can be a bit overwhelming. Take you time, look around. Do a search in the "Racing Forum" or "Races and Places" forum. See what you think.

Here are a few things to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals. 

First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge. I see you are already posting workouts in Final Surge. Your Strava account is all sync'd up. To get the most out your training - you need that workout data and the story.

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know the story - how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Consider downloading the Final Surge App.

This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick note goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

You will eventually do run and bike tests. You don't have to do them right away. But, in the next few weeks we'll schedule one when you feel ready. Then we will use your average heart rate during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Learn more about the WHY? and the HOW? of your training Plan

The Run Durability video is about 75% down the page. Coach Patrick goes over the purpose of the program and how to use frequency and consistency to avoid injury.

·        Run Durability Training Plan Guidance (PDF)

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Overview

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Part One

·        OutSeason® Run Durability Part Two

Learn EVEN more about your plan(s).

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx

I'm here to make your transition to Endurance Nation as easy and as awesome as possible!

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

PS. I took the liberty of reloading your plans out to St. George.

Give us some feeback here on how your training is going and how you are handling the run volume after a 2-3 weeks, then we'll chat about possible modifications to the OutSeason

• Options

@matt limbert i use a Stryd power meter when running. I noticed that after reloading that my power numbers for running and cycling aren’t shown anymore.

currently my bike FTP is 245w. And my critical power for running is 306w.

can these be added?

• Options

Oh man sorry about that. Yes they can. You have to do it though. See the instructions in your thread. The part about customizing your zones. You can update the plans with those zone numbers.

• Options

@Jay Tolin

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I got an email to follow up with you and check the forum, but I don’t see a post here. I think everything is going well.

the durability phase I have been doing the past month has been good, but I have added some things I’ve usually done an extra bike session each week and me weekend runs have been 10-11 miles (a little longer than planned) I’ve really enjoyed running and this has been a great work to work on cadence and form

my plan is switching today from durability to bike focused OS. Then I go to the Full IM plan on 3/2. I am looking forward to more cycling.

I feel very nervous about IMSG. The course seems like it will be very challenging. It will be a success to finish. Hopefully I can get some good climb training on Zwift.

thanks,

Jay

• Options

@Jay Tolin Jay, thanks for the update! Nice work staying consistent through the holidays! Glad to hear your cadence and form are coming along too.

Welcome to the OutSeason - there is a lot of good work in this part of your Roadmap. You'll definitely get more cycling now! The first couple of weeks are sneaky - with all the fitness you have so far you might be tempted to add more stuff. Just hold off. Keep it where you are for now and see how the first 5 weeks goes (4 weeks work + 1 week test) after that test week assess where you are and how you feel. You will have another 5 weeks (4+1) to go and its all about quality here!

Nervous is good. It will keep you honest and give you that bit of extra motivation to stay at it. IM SG is legit with all the climbing and climbing late in the race. But that is exactly the challenge you are looking for. It will be awesome! It all starts with this OutSeason.

• Options

@Jay Tolin

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN