Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Bike Box recommendations

Hi,

I'm going to be travelling with my bike a fair bit this year (races, rallies, trips, etc), and need to sort out a bike box.  I ride a P3C.  I'd very much appreciate recommendations or pointers on what not to get.

Thanks all,

Neil

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Recommendation #1, check with your local bike club and tri club.  They may have a box you can rent cheap.  If so, that's always a great option.

If you are going to buy your own box, there are several options which all have pros & cons.  This article does a pretty good job of running through the options:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/fea...ecases.cfm

FWIW- I own an IronCase and travel with my bike frequently.  It does take more effort to pack/unpack than a TriAllSports box, but it's a bit smaller and easier/cheaper to ship.  Also, after seeing enough pics of forklifts through the center of a bike cardboard box (ask Leigh and Dave), I wouldn't consider a cardboard box.  Finally, I'll never take my bike on a plane with me again.  Ship it ahead via FedEx and you can insure the shipment (if the airline looses or damages your bike- it's tough luck).

• Options

I used the crateworks cardboard "case" for a one shot deal to get my mtb down to mexico flying Continental.  Worked out just fine, but not sure I would ever use it to ship a premium bike.  it's durable, but basically good for just few uses. did i mention it's cardboard?

• Options
    Ironcase or similar clamshell design. More disassembly required but cheaper to ship
  • Options
    Check out the Aircaddy, a pretty cool solution.
  • Options

We have a pair of the thule clam cases (699) got it on amazon for super cheap from one of their vendors.

You do that to take off the bars, pedals etc. However it really isn't a big deal at all, takes about 30 minutes to pack once you get the hang of it.

-Dave

• Options
    I have an Aerus Biospeed Bike Bag. I picked it up for $250. I just took my Aluminum Road Bike from JFK to Long Beach airport and back on Jet Blue. It was $50 there (correct price as per their website) and $30 on the way back (2nd bag price). Even when I loaded it up with shoes, pump and clothing, it came in waaaay less than 50lbs. However some airlines will treat it as a bike and charge you their bike rate (up to $200) regardless of size/weight.

I had no worries of putting my Al road frame in the bag. I might worry with a carbon framed bike in the bag.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Options
    I bought a Scion last year. Nicew design idea but that is all the good I have to say about it. Cheap construction (wheels and locks are for shit), no customer service, too expensive.
  • Options
    I also have the Aerus. With it, I pay bike shipping fees at the airport about 50% of the time (I used to pay 100% of the time when I used the Trico). It has paid for itself many times over.
  • Options

I've got a Tri All 3 Sports Velo Safe II (www.triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php).

I've only ever used it once, to ship my bike to ToCA last year.

Most airlines provide a height/length/width measurement, under which they'll take, over and they will charge a boatload more or not take. This box/case definitely exceeds all those measurements. But, depending on who and where you check it in with the airline, some places will just accept as a bike box and move on.

• Options
    Posted By Dave Tallo on 27 Jan 2011 09:24 AM

I also have the Aerus. With it, I pay bike shipping fees at the airport about 50% of the time (I used to pay 100% of the time when I used the Trico). It has paid for itself many times over.

Dave - should I fell "safe" putting a carbon frame in the Aerus - I had no worries about Aluminum.

Also, wearing an Ironman Finisher jacket while trying to gently nudge the agent that in the direction of "no bike in this giant trapazoidial bag" is probably not the best idea. I should have know when he greeted me with "How's it going Lance?" that I wasn't going to sneak it through. Turns out the guy was a cyclist.

• Options

I dug up this thread as I was looking for some information on travelling with a bike.  Definitely doing at least one away race with a flight this year and travel with my bike, might be bringing my bike to a camp where I will have to fly as well.  I saw that a new version of the aerus biospeed bag has been released and was wondering if there were any new thoughts since this thread was generated a year ago. - thanks

• Options
    David,

Don't know what kind of new info you're looking for....

I just flew from NY to CA and back on JetBlue with my Aluminum road bike in the (old) Aerus case. I was charged $85 in fees ($35 second bag fee + $50 bike fee) on the way out and $35 (second bag fee only) on the way back. Also, The bag weighed in at around 38 pounds (i.e. <50) <br />
    I think the footprint of the new version of the bag is the same with some tubing added for more protection.
  • Options
    I have the old aerus biospeed bag, and I'm pretty happy with it. I pad up the frame with pipe insulation and memory foam. It weighs in at 32lbs usually, but I never put anything else in the bag with it. TSA beats the crap out of it though. Ive had it returned to me with the bag unzipped, fork protectors broken, other times its ziptied shut and perfect. You never know. I've never shipped my bike, but may do so for my next two races. The airline fees are completely random and seem to depend on the ticket agent and what kind of day they are having. I just shut up and pay them so they put my bike on the right plane.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I also use an Iron Case by Trico. The 15-20 mintes needed to pack/unpack is a non issue for me as I like to wrench around/clean my bike some anyway for an event so its part of the routine. Its plenty big but packs up small enough so getting it into a taxi is not a big problem...
  • Options
    @rich - you still need to take the 15-20 minutes to pack up a bike in an Aerus Biospeed bag.
  • Options
    Anyone know of a box or case that you can ship the Trek SC 9.9 (rediculous to take bars, cables, etc... off) leaving the front end aero bars on.

For one I don't want to arrive from a long flight and try to make sure I wrench this high tech end together nor do I want Rich to try and do when going to Wildflower.

I've been looking but it's hard to tell on some cases or bags if there is enough room. Thinking maybe the Scion looks like it'll work but not sure. Any ideas? I run a small frame.
  • Options
    @Trent

I could be wrong, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a decently sized box that will allow you to send it with aerobars attached. Taking a quick look at the Trek SC 9.9 photos online certainly makes it appear as if removal will be difficult. Have you called trek? What are the Trek Pro triathletes doing, not all of them have big travel budgets.

Good luck and report back.
  • Options

@ cary and @sarah - thanks for the input.  I've been doing internet research and thinking this is the way I am going to go. 

-David

• Options
    Because I'm lazy, I prefer to use Tribike Transport when it's available, but if not I fly with my Pika Packworks softside case. I've traveled with it to Holland, Boise, and Germany. I've had no issues with it and will be flying with it to St Croix this year. I spend about 20 mins packing and 20 mins reassembly. I bought it after I read a review in the New York Times (written by a frequent flier triathlete) where it won a shoot-out against 5 hard cases. Here's another review about it...I will vouch for the money saving aspect. http://thecyclinghouseblog.com/2011/12/28/pika-packworks-review/
  • Options

Reviving an old thread....

IronSouse and I are traveling to three races via air...2 international...It's not time or cost effective to use Looking for two decent secondhand hard cases..

Looking for input from those that have traveled with bike boxes internationally;

Did you rent a car? small transport van? What did you do with bikes while you traveled around your destination? Stashing one bike box is hard enough in a European sized car, we have TWO!

Any ideas appreciated!

• Options

I've gone from Dallas to Mallorca 5x (and now 5x without) with a triall3sports dual bike box. Fits one bike and some loose/spare stuff nicely, but it's a bit big. I'd definitely suggest HARD case, and most airline T&Cs will not cover any damage otherwise.

Fortunately, each time I traveled there was a shuttle van waiting for me, to take me to/from the hotel, so it could fit the big box.

I started renting bikes when I realized I'd have to rent a van, pay extra baggage fees on EVERY leg of my trip, and couldn't fit my bike box up a staircase in Amsterdam in any way possible. That's the same year I also bought the PowerTap P1 pedals to put on those rental bikes.

Sorry if that's not too helpful, but things to think about, I hope.

• Options

Thanks Scott! That's all REALLY helpful!

It's a lot to weigh..( no pun intended!)..its 'twice' every cost per race...

Ill check into bike rentals...did you arrange them through IM?

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 7:18PM

I've not yet done an international tri (much less an IM), only int'l cycling camps. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

If it were me, I'd suck it up as a cost of the race, unfortunately, as I'd definitely want MY bike (and not a rental) for such an extreme/long event.

• Options

My wife and I have Airport Ninjas and we've traveled to France, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and domestically with the bikes and haven't had any problems. We were never charged bike fee even before a lot of airlines stopped charging exorbitant prices for bikes. The downside is that you have to take the fork off so it takes me about 30 minutes to tear it down and pack it up. It doesn't take nearly as long to put it back together. The good part about that is I get to clean and grease the headset several times a year.

The Ninjas are fairly small and fit in most cars easily and they can be stowed away when not in use.

OTOH, most of the airlines are now charging the same for bikes as another piece of luggage. Given that, I'm thinking of getting a Scicon case because it doesn't require disassembly (and EN has a pretty good discount with them). The downside might be the size.

• Options

Another Pika vote.

• Options

Premier Tactical is restarting production of their bike case in about a week. Not sure when they will be available. Probably not long after. Holds 3 wheels and depending on your bike, you may not even have to take your cockpit apart.

• Options

+1 on the TriAll3 box. Very solid, wheels, and minimal bike setup on arrival. Have used it for trips to Europe and a move to Asia without incident. Biggest painpoint is it's a big thing to have sitting around the house or garage when it isn't necessary. I recommend getting some velcro pads for various parts of the bike while it's in transit. Plenty of options on Amazon.

• Options

I've traveled internationally - a lot - almost always with my own bike box. I used a Pika-Packworks with great success for many years (see endorsement from @robin sarner above). Eventually, I wanted a wheeled case so a couple of years ago I sold my Pika and bought a Thule Roundtrip Pro XT (after a lot of research). Both cases can take a road or tri bike. Both are softsides and always come in under 50lbs. My Pika typically weighed in around 32-35 lbs at the gate. The Roundtrip has a hard bottom and weights in around 42-44 lbs at the gate. If you don't want to pay overweight fees, then you need to avoid the heavy hardside bags. The Thule bag collapses into a small footprint when empty if storage is an issue for you. I do not have to remove a fork with either case.

The hard side versus soft side argument is tiresome. What counts is how you pack it and whether you put too much in it. TSA will damage your bike in a hard case if they have to force it closed after inspection. Based on continued reports online and from friends, the only case I could not recommend is the Scion Aerocomfort. Buy that at your own risk.